Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Hi, I'm applying for 2017 entry and I have similar stats to you, especially with the same subjects. I got 637 UKCAT, and was wondering if you did take the BMAT? Where did you apply? May I ask if you got any offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by iamaslostasyou)
    I hope you don't mind me asking how it went since your UKCAT score and academic profile is quite similar to mine?
    I took the BMAT as well and I got 4.5, 4.3, 3.5A. I applied to UCL, Birmingham, Leeds and Sheffield. I was rejected by Sheffield at the personal statement stage; Leeds never got back to me and the interviews were already concluded so I just withdrew. I got offers from UCL (firm) and Birmingham (insurance) and I'll be starting at UCL in a couple of weeks Feel free to ask anything else.
    Keep in mind, even though we might have similar UKCAT scores, your scores could still be in a higher/lower decile than mine was (I think my score was 6th decile?) or be better/worse than mine depending on what the average is for this year.

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing the mock UKCAT tests on the official UKCAT website and I have been getting very low scores, particularaly in the QR subtest (Highest average across all subtests has been 550, highest QR score 450) Are these mocks more difficult than the actual test or should I just practice more??

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm applying for foundation year medicine with predicted grades BBC. I have a ukcat score of 600 Band 2 and a great amount of care experience working with the elderly. What are the chances that i'll get in?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for foundation year medicine with a ukcat score of 600 Band 2. I also have BBC predicted and work experience with the elderly. Is this a little far fetched or is it a possibility that i'll get in?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea if an average of 663 / total 1990 would be high enough for the manchester cut off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12Russ)
    Does anyone have any idea if an average of 663 / total 1990 would be high enough for the manchester cut off?
    No, nobody knows this yet, not even Manchester Medical School, as it will depend on the UKCAT scores of the people who apply. However, they give you plenty of information on their website to be able to judge things on:

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/med...tion_16-17.pdf

And the cut off is usually around the 70th centile unless you have a contextual flag, which based on the interim scores, would give a cut off of 2030 or 676.6.

However, these are previous years figures and interim deciles, so it is pretty much guesswork, and your guess is as good as mine!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GANFYD)
    No, nobody knows this yet, not even Manchester Medical School, as it will depend on the UKCAT scores of the people who apply. However, they give you plenty of information on their website to be able to judge things on:

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/med...tion_16-17.pdf

And the cut off is usually around the 70th centile unless you have a contextual flag, which based on the interim scores, would give a cut off of 2030 or 676.6.

However, these are previous years figures and interim deciles, so it is pretty much guesswork, and your guess is as good as mine!
    Thanks!
    Im hoping that the interim scores for this year will fall. Some say that people that do the test earlier generally get better scores than those who sit it later which would hopefully bring the averages down.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm really starting to panic on where I should apply to, I got quite low in my UKCAT (630 average total 1900) and my GCSE's are weak too (7 A's 3 B's) and my predicted grades are either AAA/A*AA, and I received a D2 for the Cambridge pre U qualification ( equivalent to A*) I have my heart set on medicine, i don't mind where i go but i just need a medical school.Any ideas? ASAP
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has got any advice for me applying to Manchester, my UKCAT score is average I think at 670 band 2. I need to submit my application really soon and not sure whether this would be too risky! Thank you
    AS= AAAA
    A2 predictions= A*A*A
    GCSES= 6 A*S and 3 AS

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham, Cardiff, QUB would like your GCSE results. Birmingham is using 70% academics (which I am guessing you will have full, or nearly full, marks in) and 30% UKCAT which will be based in centiles (your score would have been in the 8th centile last year and in 2012-in 2013, scores were all inflated)
    Leicester, Manchester, Aberdeen, HYMS, Dundee, Nottingham and UEA would like your combination of academics and what is actually a pretty good UKCAT, but, as pointed out previously, you would need to work out your score for Leicester (cut off 59.5 last year) and Nottingham (cut off was weird as SJT was messed up, but you should be able to get an idea from last years thread-bear in mind Nottingham also scores PS, which can be a bit of a lottery). Aberdeen use predicted A2 + UKCAT and then carry this score forward to be used as 50% of the post interview score to decide who will be offered a place, so with your predicted A2s, you would score very highly there. Manchester rank on UKCAT (check threads here for last year's cut off), then score PS.
    I suspect you would meet Plymouths UKCAT cut off (check the "how the Unis use the UKCAT" document for past years cut offs, bearing in mind 2 years ago was artificially high.
    Your UKCAT will not be enough for the UKCAT big boys, I suspect, ie Newcastle/Durham, Kings, Southampton or Exeter, although Exeter apparently allow a lower UKCAT score for people with lots of A*s predicted at A2, so might be worth a punt if you really liked it.
    I would pick 1 BMAT Uni if you want to as you will not have the result until after you put your application in, and good GCSEs and A levels does not necessarily equate to a good result in aptitude tests.
    Then, if you want to be safe, you would score very highly and be very likely to get an interview at QUB, Leicester, HYMS, Aberdeen, Birmingham, Dundee and, if you want to add the uncertainty of PS ranking in, then Cardiff, Nottingham, Manchester, UEA, Glasgow. I suspect your UKCAT will be in the top 20% or higher (remember, it is a normal distribution curve!) and with such good academics, I doubt anywhere is out of reach for you, except the UKCAT big boys, though if it were me, I would not want to be relying on the subjectivity of PS assessment given such good stats. Good luck

Edit: Just checked Plymouth cut offs, and don't know your individual scores but looks like you would have made the cut off for 2012 and 2013, and check the thread here for last year
    This was quite helpful thank you! but do you really think if i have been predicted A*A*A*A*A* for my A2 bio, chem, phy, math and EPQ and an A in Furthermaths AS and I got 4 high A's for my AS bio, chem, phy and maths (bio was slightly lower then the rest in UMS) but my UKCAT core was quite low with an average of 650 (no decision making score because 2017 entry) do i have a chance of getting into Kings or at least an interview?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am a graduate applying to Barts (5yr), Barts (4yr), Leicester (5yr) and Dundee (5yr). I have a 2:1 in Human Biology and a MSc (merit) in Pharmacology. UKCAT score average of 653 (total 1960). Been working the past 2 years as a Clinical Pharmaceutical Scientist for the NHS.
    What do you reckon my chances are... I know already the GEM course at Barts will be a no, but how about the other undergraduate courses? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karishma behera)
    This was quite helpful thank you! but do you really think if i have been predicted A*A*A*A*A* for my A2 bio, chem, phy, math and EPQ and an A in Furthermaths AS and I got 4 high A's for my AS bio, chem, phy and maths (bio was slightly lower then the rest in UMS) but my UKCAT core was quite low with an average of 650 (no decision making score because 2017 entry) do i have a chance of getting into Kings or at least an interview?
    Thank you!
    I have no idea! I only know what you know and can read on Kings website and old threads on here. This is the type of thing I would ring and ask their admissions department.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea! I only know what you know and can read on Kings website and old threads on here. This is the type of thing I would ring and ask their admissions department.
    Oh thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dulce_ecstasy)
    My stats:
    VR: 560, QR: 790, AR: 570, DA: 610, SJT: Band 1, Average: 632.5
    GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B - The B was english language. This was at an underachieving school with only 45% of pupils getting 5+ A*-C including English and Maths
    AS: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, History A
    Predictions: Biology A*, Chemistry A, Maths A
    I've done lots of work experience/volunteering. Three week-long placements in hospitals, a week in a GP and volunteering when I could in a nursing home since this time last year. However, I only have one extra curricular, which is gospel choir, but I do a lot in it (competitions and stuff).I was thinking of applying to Oxford, UCL and Nottingham? Haven't decided on my fourth yet.. Anyone have any recommendations for a fourth or some better choices?Thanks!
    Hi I got similar scores to you overal, especially in UKCAT, did your UKCAT get you an interview for Nottingham may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    I didn’t apply there in the end 😊 I’m at UCL now tho, 2nd year.
    Also had an offer for Birmingham. Applied for Leeds and Sheffield but didn’t get to interview
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.