Turn on thread page Beta

Should Idris Elba Play the next James Bond! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizah)
    This makes zero sense. The character is olive skinned and has black hair and therefore the casting directors should have chosen an olive skinned female with black hair. Being fine with a white girl playing Katniss but being outraged when an amazing actor who happens to be black tries out for Bond is hypocrisy.
    I'm not necessarily saying that Elba should play James Bond, but I am saying that the best actor should be cast to play James Bond. Not choosing a good actor based on the color of his skin is sheer idiocy.
    It isn't idiocy. There have been 23 Bond films in the past, with 6 different actors playing the role, all of whom have been white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_jg)
    It isn't idiocy. There have been 23 Bond films in the past, with 6 different actors playing the role, all of whom have been white.
    Exactly. It'd be like Lara Croft being played by Venus Williams. It's simply not cohesive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Bond is just the 007 title passed to the next agent so I don't have a problem with a black bond. That being said, it should be because he's the best actor, not because a bunch of lefties want one of the greatest spy franchises of all time to preach diversity.

Personally I think there are better actors so I'll be gunning for Bennedict Cumberbatch or Tom Hiddleston.
    Yes! He would make an amazing James Bond.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Nope, each Bond actor's films are pretty much standalone from the others (even within a single Bond's movies they often be completely isolated stories), and while a lot are adaoted from the books there's also a lot that are only loose adaptations and some which are completely new stories, for example all of Brosnan's films are entirely original stories not related to any books (they also cast M as a woman for the first time in the series).
    Fair enough.

That doesn't change my stance of preferring Tom Hiddleston for the role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tom Hiddleston would make a great bad guy, in my opinion.

James McAvoy would be an outside shout for me, if it wasn't given Elba or Lewis.

Tom Hardy would be dreadful. He dresses so badly IRL, for a start.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a crap really his a brilliant actor and bond movies are over rated these days. Leave them for the racists, Idris Elba does not need to play bond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Holy schkadoodles yes, of course.

It would be AWESOME
    What this guy said 3 weeks ago. Including the schkadoodles part. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBap1)
    I'm black myself and don't agree James Bond should be played by a black actor. It just doesn't look right, the character has always been white and it should stay like that!
    *yawn*

ReputationRep:
    YES YES YES YES YES

no reason whatsoever as to why he shouldn't be

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.