Turn on thread page Beta

Who's happy Jeremy Corbyn won??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Kids these days :no:
    Only came to to this country for university, your politics mean nothing to me so I ignore them
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jjm456)
    I see where you're coming from, and I'm certainly not implying that an extremist candidate will always, or even usually, win, but the 1979 election proves it can be done. Callaghan was far closer to the centre ground than Thatcher, and still lost.
    The thing is though, Labour had shown total ineptitude leading up to '79 and was losing seats left right and centre because is was not dealing with the weak economy and the Winter of Discontent just harmed them further. Losing a VoNC also doesn't tend to help, I would say that the two situations are barely comparable, well, they might be, we still have 5 years to find out, but the total economic ineptitude and weak economy parts don't seem to be holding out too well atm.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with some of his views like foreign policy it's a disaster

But he's still a Marxist ****

Corbyn doesn't care about White people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjm456)
    There’s a leadership battle. The party is torn between left and right. A extremist candidate, considered by most to be unelectable, unexpectedly wins, creating an ideological rift. The knives come out, with fears the party will never win an election again. But the new leader sticks to their guns. They doggedly push through, and cause the biggest ideological shift in the party’s history. The leader then wins a landslide election victory and two more after that, serving for 11 years, as the leader I'm talking about is Margaret Thatcher. Corbyn can do the same.
    But this isn't what happened. The 1975 Conservative leadership election wasn't battle between left and right.

It was a battle between the Heathite party establishment and backbenchers who thought that Heath had lost political direction and personally had failed to get his message across. You can barely put a cigarette paper between what Heath was saying he was doing and what Margaret Thatcher wanted the party to do but the perception among many in the party was that Heath wasn't doing it and when he was, Conservative supporters weren't aware he was doing it.

She was considered unelectable because she was a woman and because she was not a party grandee. The ideological shift largely post-dated the 1979 election win when MPs started to understand the consequences of implementing the government's economic agenda.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.