Turn on thread page Beta

Should Britain adopt a zero immigration policy? watch

ReputationRep:
    Unless we want to adopt a maximum child birth cap per family, I don't see why we need to take excessive amounts of people from eastern Europe and the middle east. Only refugees in real danger should be allowed to enter the country and not people coming from Turkey and Hungary like the situation now is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    I hope all people who are looking for new opportunity come to the UK. I will vote for it.
    New opportunity? No. I'd rather only admit amazing people to this country. Highly-skilled, entrepreneurs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    Asia for Asians
    Africa for Africans
    Europe for Everyone

amiright
    White countries are not the only countries which have immigration or are ethnically diverse you idiot.

ReputationRep:
    No. That's a monumentally stupid idea. If nothing else, we need vastly more nurses in the NHS than we can produce, and there's absolutely no possibility of that changing in the next five years, and probably a lot longer than that. There is one, and only one, solution to this problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    New opportunity? No. I'd rather only admit amazing people to this country. Highly-skilled, entrepreneurs etc.
    anyone can be highly skilled or an entrepreneur as long as they have good work ethics. Which immigrants do have.

ReputationRep:
    Britain will drop from 7th in the world to 20th in no time. Our Central banker is a Canadian for pete sake.

Your racism has made you delusional.
    Indeed, it's ridiculous how some people completely disregard and ignore the many benefits immigration has brought to this country, the UK would be a lot worse off without immigration and you only need to look at countries like Japan who are potentially facing a major demographic and workforce crisis because of their reluctance to allow immigration. And you're right, some people are blinded by their racism and irrational obsession with race.

ReputationRep:
    anyone can be highly skilled or an entrepreneur as long as they have good work ethics. Which immigrants do have.
    and they can also be worthless.....

Think I'd rather increase our population only for those who have proved their worth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Indeed, it's ridiculous how some people completely disregard and ignore the many benefits immigration has brought to this country, the UK would be a lot worse off without immigration and you only need to look at countries like Japan who are potentially facing a major demographic and workforce crisis because of their reluctance to allow immigration. And you're right, some people are blinded by their racism and irrational obsession with race.
    To all those who cannot see the elephant in the room- the OP is more-likely referring to low-skilled immigration, you know, all the Eastern Europeans, Syrians, Somalians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis......

Not the Canadian holding degrees from both Oxford and Harvard.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    I always state Japan as a key example, some people just don't get it. I think all these "harsh" immigration policies are simply going to hurt the UK in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    and they can also be worthless.....

Think I'd rather increase our population only for those who have proved their worth
    like i've said before The highly skilled/entrepreneurs don't want to come here any more on the scale the UK needs. Hence why the UK cannot afford to be picky with who it accepts.

Few places people go to rather than the UK
    Hong Kong
    Singapore
    Indians now tend to stay in delhi & mumbai
    California (amazing)
    Canada
    Australia
    etc etc

all carry much lower tax rates and most have greater living standards.

In essence UK sucks.

ReputationRep:
    like i've said before The highly skilled/entrepreneurs don't want to come here any more on the scale the UK needs. Hence why the UK cannot afford to be picky with who it accepts.

Hong Kong
    Singapore
    California (amazing)
    Canada
    Australia
    etc etc

In essence UK sucks.
    and therefore admit low-skilled, useless immigrants who cost us money?

How about we stop spending so much on public services and lower tax? I'm a little fed up of seeing people who dont work receive £25,000 a year in benefits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackHorner222)
    We don't need cheap labour, those days went out with the Victorians.

We don't need skilled labour, we can train our own.

We don't need diversity, non-white countries don't.
    I voted UKIP at the General Elections and even I think what you propose is idiotic (0 immigration)

ReputationRep:

Hong Kong
    Singapore
    California (amazing)
    Canada
    Australia
    etc etc
    In essence UK sucks.
    South East Asia is also starting to get Brits coming there in droves. Low taxes, low living costs, large expat communities, and plenty of jobs for skilled workers at companies trying to get a foothold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Japan isn't suffering just because of lack of immigration policy. A low birthrate fuelled by extortionate living costs and housing shortages are prime reasons, as well as changes in attitude towards dating and marriage. This when combined with an extremely inhospitable environment for foreigners to settle: the difficulty of the Japanese language to learn and the lack of English speakers and a virtually non-existent expat community when compared to other countries in Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fango_Jett)
    Japan isn't suffering just because of lack of immigration policy. A low birthrate fuelled by extortionate living costs and housing shortages are prime reasons, as well as changes in attitude towards dating and marriage. This when combined with an extremely inhospitable environment for foreigners to settle: the difficulty of the Japanese language to learn and the lack of English speakers and a virtually non-existent expat community when compared to other countries in Asia.
    Its funny how the British call a group of Brits living in close proximity in a foreign country an expat community but a similar one of foreigners in Britain is called a ghetto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Its funny how the British call a group of Brits living in close proximity in a foreign country an expat community but a similar one of foreigners in Britain is called a ghetto.
    Probably because it's not permanent. Ghetto should be the more appropriate term though. I've seen the expats living in Japan and they all stick together and rarely venture outside except in packs to a restaurant and tend to be rude and stubborn, and have horrible personal hygiene by Japanese standards.

It's even worse than some of the "ghettos" in the UK though. I've seen people living in Japan for 15-20 years who still can't speak a word beyond basic greeting and food, let alone read and write.

ReputationRep:
    It would make football transfers interesting...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.