Turn on thread page Beta

How can Corbyn represent the 'working class' when he hasn't worked a day in his life? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    also he was brought up in a mansion ? and went to selective school ?

:afraid:

smh
    It's a good thing when people realise their privilege and seek to ally themselves with the interests of those less advantaged. Well, it's better than spending life coasting in comfort on the privilege and never questioning it, anyway.

The downside is that sometimes people from privileged backgrounds 'don't get' the issues of the poor or working class, but there are various solutions to that, like cultivating friendships and advisers from the less well-off and living an ordinary lifestyle.

The worst is the sort of smug, arrogant certainty in people like Cameron, Osborne and Johnson, who never doubt for a moment that their privilege entitles them to be our rulers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    McClusky is not even close to on a par with serwotka though - he's not been destroying the union and opposed their support of Corbyn, to his credit. I agree though he's a little loopier than ideal. It's not his fault people chose not to vote really.

The difference with pay in unions compared to other private companies is there is far less disparity between those at the top an those at the bottom.

Also unite only claims to be the biggest union - they over report their membership a lot. UNISON is probably the largest.
    Right. So we've got organisations campaigning for and representing workers which are run by people who even members consider nutty, and unable to gain the support of 90% of their membership, the size of which they lie about in order to gain political leverage. These groups, representing about 10% of the population then exert decisive control over one of the two major political parties and consistently promulgate spiteful, outdated and impractical political biases which are totally unrepresentative of wider society. And you wonder why more people don't join? Get real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Errm336)
    How can the Conservatives claim to speak for the poor, when they've never been poor?
    One of the most stupid and misconceived questions of all time. How can a doctor cure diseases he's never had? By using research, science, experience and intelligence - four factors totally absent from contemporary left-wing politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.L)
    Right. So we've got organisations campaigning for and representing workers which are run by people who even members consider nutty, and unable to gain the support of 90% of their membership, the size of which they lie about in order to gain political leverage. These groups, representing about 10% of the population then exert decisive control over one of the two major political parties and consistently promulgate spiteful, outdated and impractical political biases which are totally unrepresentative of wider society. And you wonder why more people don't join? Get real.
    Just because a couple of unions are run badly doesn't mean all unions are bad. That's like saying I hate Nestlé so I hate all businesses, or I hate the heartland foundation so all thinktanks must be corrupt and in the pay of oil companies and anti communists.

Also in no way to they exert decisive control over the Labour Party since one member one vote.

Most endorsed Jeremy, but many only after listening to their members (or in the case of unison fighting over Andy vs Yvette for so long that the Corbyn supporters were able to cut straight through the !middle)

If people don't want butter working conditions then font join, but don't ****ing complain about pay and hours because I have 0 sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Just because a couple of unions are run badly doesn't mean all unions are bad. That's like saying I hate Nestlé so I hate all businesses, or I hate the heartland foundation so all thinktanks must be corrupt and in the pay of oil companies and anti communists.

Also in no way to they exert decisive control over the Labour Party since one member one vote.

Most endorsed Jeremy, but many only after listening to their members (or in the case of unison fighting over Andy vs Yvette for so long that the Corbyn supporters were able to cut straight through the !middle)

If people don't want butter working conditions then font join, but don't ****ing complain about pay and hours because I have 0 sympathy.
    I don't complain about pay and hours, and most of society wishes unions wouldn't too because like you, they also have no sympathy.

I absolutely think Labour party members did the right think electing Corbyn. He represents them very well. However, that same quality makes him totally unelectable as a PM.

OK. So five of the six top donations to any political party over the latest period for which figures are available are union donations to the Labour party. They just vote, and have no other influence? Even the Labour Party admits thats not true. Falkirk?

Saying that only a few unions are badly run, ignoring the fact that they're among the biggest, is like saying only a few investment banks were badly run and it's unfair to condemn to rotten activities of the whole industry.

ReputationRep:
    He also got EE at A-level and went to London Met (well, the university that became London met) but dropped out before finishing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    He also got EE at A-level and went to London Met (well, the university that became London met) but dropped out before finishing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Let's hope he doesn't join TSR. He'd get slaugtered by the supersnobs for those grades alone. Nevermind attending London Met.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    good post,
    Corbyn is a joke, nothing more than a liberal wannabe Trot

he'd rather have the working man do extra hrs just to pay for all the immigrants and fake refugees, in order to make him and his fellow bourgeoisie feel good about themselves

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't stand the man but I've got to defend him here.

You know how nobody cares about GCSEs once you've done your A levels? And then nobody cares about your A levels once you've done your degree? Well it carries on, I assure you.

Once you've had your first job or two after uni, nobody cares about your university degree. Nobody in real life over the age of 25 cares, let alone for someone like Corbyn who's sixty something lol.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice that he's concerned but the OP is kind of right. All Corbyn has ever been involved in is politics and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)

You know how nobody cares about GCSEs once you've done your A levels? And then nobody cares about your A levels once you've done your degree? Well it carries on, I assure you.

Once you've had your first job or two after uni, nobody cares about your university degree. Nobody in real life over the age of 25 cares, let alone for someone like Corbyn who's sixty something lol.
    Yeah I know, it was a fairly light-hearted comment - it's just funny that the leader of the opposition has a very poor academic background

ReputationRep:
    Marx spent more time living off benefactors than mixing with the unwashed, didn't he? And it could still turnout one day that his philosophy was useful to the interests of the working class, who knows what the future holds?

In the meantime, it is reported in today's press that Seb Corbyn has been made McDonnell's chief of staff. Bluddy Tory press, closed down first thing the morning after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Labour and Tories serve their union friends and banking friends respectively as well as their selfish greed. Only UKIP stand up for the real man and woman. Unlike the other two they haven't got someone controlling things from behind the seat of power.
    This week: "Revealed: Arron Banks told campaigners 'I have Nigel by the short and curlies financially'"

UKIP's donors are well known (all ex-Tory, too) and exert much control. Wheeler threw a tantrum and cut off GE funding for a bit and then threatened to depose Farage after the GE.

While other parties have their Oakeshotts and their McCluskeys and their Ashcrofts trying to influence the choice of leader at least the larger parties are not so reliant on a few iconoclastic donors as UKIP are and so can more easily see off threats.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, it was a fairly light-hearted comment - it's just funny that the leader of the opposition has a very poor academic background
    Well given that he's a 9/11 truther who wrote articles supporting the New World Order conspiracy theory, he's clearly not the most erudite person in the world but his academic record should play no bearing on anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.L)
    At least they are representing some people, relatively normal people with normal jobs too, who voted for them. More than one can say for influential figures and donors to other parties which are not run democratically or transparently at all. It's hardly perfect but it's far better than any of the other parties. Funny how people want total perfection from the left but everyone else can get away with whatever ad hoc set up they want.

ReputationRep:
    Well given that he's a 9/11 truther who wrote articles supporting the New World Order conspiracy theory, he's clearly not the most erudite person in the world but his academic record should play no bearing on anything.
    ....Unless it's a fair reflection of him lacking the intelligence to understand the world around him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    At least they are representing some people, relatively normal people with normal jobs too, who voted for them. More than one can say for influential figures and donors to other parties which are not run democratically or transparently at all. It's hardly perfect but it's far better than any of the other parties. Funny how people want total perfection from the left but everyone else can get away with whatever ad hoc set up they want.
    All parties are run with the same transparency. That's the law. No other party has been influenced to anything like the extent Labour is by the unions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.L)
    All parties are run with the same transparency. That's the law. No other party has been influenced to anything like the extent Labour is by the unions.
    Why? Is it just because the unions are democratic and transparent, so that their influence is more reported on in the press? I wonder why rich businessmen give money to all the other parties if they have no influence. Are such donors just sentimental old fools with too much money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Only UKIP addresses the issues of the working class, Labour abandoned us long ago.
    UKIP are ex-Tories they support the Tories on pretty much everything other than Immigration.Remind me exactly how UKIP addresses the issues of the working class?

ReputationRep:

This is completely untrue lots of jobs require a degree and often a lot of jobs require a lot of UCAS points too from A Levels, even those that don't often require an educated background(often wanting at least up to A Level and EE probably wouldn't cut it).In todays job market Corbyn's application for a lot of jobs would be literally thrown out after reading he had EE at A Level, applicants need to have good grades and lots of experience these days.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.