Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Corbyn looking shabby / disrespectful watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Fine then. I dont even support the guy. What are you trying to get at

There were Asians who fought for the UK, were there not? At any rate, at something like that, yes I'd perhaps "suit up" but plenty of people wouldn't.
    No I mean at an ordinary funeral, I don't mean at this event. Of course if someone wants to wear their national dress, that is fine. National dress is always considered appropriate at, for example, white tie events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    He turned up suited and booted, did he not?
    Not really. Having an unbuttoned tie at a funeral or sobre memorial is extremely poor form. He clearly did not give a crap about appearing respectful of our honoured war dead.

If you've got an issue with Corbyn's politics then enter a political debate, but this hysterical and constant scrutinising of every detail of him has got to stop.
    Oh the irony. It's impossible to debate policy with Corbynites, they shriek that anybody who fails to get on board with their programme 100% must be a Red Tory (if on the left) or a neoliberal scumbag who wants to slaughter the poor (if on the right).

The Corbynites are completely uninterested in genuine political discourse, and whenever someone makes legitimate criticisms (it is fair to point out that his Shadow Chancellor praised the IRA's campaign of bombings and shootings) they start shrieking and howling and calling it a smear and a conspiracy.

By their hypersensitive response to any and all criticisms, the Corbynites have invited the level of scrutiny under which he now finds himself

ReputationRep:
    That's such an illogical remark I'm going to ignore it completely.
    I'm sorry to say that if you believe it's illogical then you have indicated either you lack the capacity to understand the underlying point or you lack an interest in understanding the underlying point.

The underlying point is that it is puerile to claim that it does not matter what you wear, and that it's superficial to make any comment about attire. Which leads to the concession that, yes, attire can matter. And it comes to a question of degree.

Many on your side have adopted the first position; that attire never matters and it is superficial to even comment. Which makes the analogy of a tracksuit at a wedding a perfectly fair point; if it doesn't matter what you wear, then you cannot logically claim there is anything wrong with a tracksuit at a wedding

ReputationRep:
    Makes a change from criticising women politician's clothing choices, I guess. His appearance shouldn't matter, he's there to do a job, not model for frigging Armani.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    And if he'd have sung it, the same people would be attacking him for being a hypocrite by signing about god rescuing a monarch when he's a republican (and atheist/agnostic if I remember correctly, but don't quote me on that).
    I just don't like it when people debating something completely miss a good target, and instead make stupid arguments when there are plenty of decent arguments to be made. Not just with Jeremy Corbyn. Criticise what needs to be criticised, instead of distracting attention from important good quality discussion with ridiculous BS.
    The media could and should have been focusing on the 4.6 billion in tax credit cuts that the Tories passed through parliament yesterday that will take away £1000 from thre poorest in society.
    Obviously though they chose to focus on Jeremy Corbyn and the national anthem.

It's amazing just how biased and manipulative the media are. It's nothing short of propaganda. The media should hold the government to account - instead it acts as its cheerleader.

ReputationRep:
    Such a nothing topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SignFromDog)
    Not really. Having an unbuttoned tie at a funeral or sobre memorial is extremely poor form. He clearly did not give a crap about appearing respectful of our honoured war dead.
    Blah blah blah. Haven't you got better things to do with your time than bleat about an undone tie? You're a broken record.

Oh the irony. It's impossible to debate policy with Corbynites, they shriek that anybody who fails to get on board with their programme 100% must be a Red Tory (if on the left) or a neoliberal scumbag who wants to slaughter the poor (if on the right).

The Corbynites are completely uninterested in genuine political discourse, and whenever someone makes legitimate criticisms (it is fair to point out that his Shadow Chancellor praised the IRA's campaign of bombings and shootings) they start shrieking and howling and calling it a smear and a conspiracy.

By their hypersensitive response to any and all criticisms, the Corbynites have invited the level of scrutiny under which he now finds himself
    I'm not a Corbynite. As far as politics is concerned, I'm an impartial observer. So no, it's really not ironic at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    Makes a change from criticising women politician's clothing choices, I guess. His appearance shouldn't matter, he's there to do a job, not model for frigging Armani.
    Would you turn up to a job interview in a tracksuit? Or even let's say without doing up your tie?

It doesn't matter that he wore ill-fitting, shabby clothing. What matters is that he couldn't even be bothered to do up his tie, which gives the impression that he just can't be arsed. That's not the impression you want to give at a sombre and reflective occasion for our honoured war dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    That's a good point actually. It;s totally normal to obsess over this kind of stuff with women :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Blah blah blah. Haven't you got better things to do with your time than bleat about an undone tie? You're a broken record.
    If you don't like the thread then you know where the door is

As far as politics is concerned, I'm an impartial observer
    If you genuinely believe that, you are an utterly deluded individual.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to say that if you believe it's illogical then you have indicated either you lack the capacity to understand the underlying point or you lack an interest in understanding the underlying point.

The underlying point is that it is puerile to claim that it does not matter what you wear, and that it's superficial to make any comment about attire. Which leads to the concession that, yes, attire can matter. And it comes to a question of degree.

Many on your side have adopted the first position; that attire never matters and it is superficial to even comment. Which makes the analogy of a tracksuit at a wedding a perfectly fair point; if it doesn't matter what you wear, then you cannot logically claim there is anything wrong with a tracksuit at a wedding
    The reason I said it was illogical is because it's such an extreme example that's completely devoid of merit. You're comparing a slightly undone tie to social fashion faux pas of the year.

And yet, there is actually nothing inherently wrong with wearing a tracksuit at a wedding... so what's your point?

If I were to see a banker wearing a Hawaiian shirt to work I wouldn't think anything less of him. His job is banking. Does his clothing attire affect his mind? No? Then it's of no practical significance.

Two people could get married dressed in Halloween costumes for all I care, it doesn't make their love any less real.

ReputationRep:
    If you genuinely believe that, you are an utterly deluded individual.
    How?

Am I not allowed to have political views yet no ties to any political party?

My views range all over the bloody place, so I see no point in setting myself up against the same wall as a group of people who share some of my views but disagree with others.

ReputationRep:
    but on the other hand, I think its both disrespectful and offensive to turn up to a memorial service - with a big face that looks like a dish!

ReputationRep:
    The reason I said it was illogical is because it's such an extreme example that's completely devoid of merit. You're comparing a slightly undone tie to social fashion faux pas of the year.

And yet, there is actually nothing inherently wrong with wearing a tracksuit at a wedding... so what's your point?

If I were to see a banker wearing a Hawaiian shirt to work I wouldn't think anything less of him. His job is banking. Does his clothing attire affect his mind? No? Then it's of no practical significance.

Two people could get married dressed in Halloween costumes for all I care, it doesn't make their love any less real.
    It would appear that it's not illogical or devoid of merit as you have confirmed you think it's perfectly fine.

And again you appear to have missed the point. This has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with dressing appropriately and neatly, which shows respect for the occasion and the host.

It doesn't matter what a banker wears in his own office, if that's fine with his employer. What would matter, for example, is if he was prosecuted for a crime and turned up to court in a Hawaiian shirt.

Again it's completely irrelevant what any particular couple want to wear to their own wedding, that's their choice. What is relevant is that when you go to somebody else's wedding, or a funeral, or a court hearing, you dress in a way that shows respect for the solemnity of the occasion.

This was just such an occasion. What makes it worse is that Corbyn turned up to PMQs appropriately dressed. So it's not as if he doesn't understand what it is to dress appropriately. But somehow the RAF Battle of Britain memorial rated lower in his mind that a somber memorial for our honoured war dead.

But as we have established, you would wear a tracksuit to a wedding so I'm unlikely to be able to convince you on this point.

ReputationRep:
    How?

Am I not allowed to have political views yet no ties to any political party?
    Of course you can. What is preposterous is that you appear to think you are some kind of impartial and purely objective observer, as if you are some kind of superior being floating on an ethereal cloud, with no biases of your own, no investment in the outcome of political debates... if you think you are purely objective and an impartial observer, then I genuinely think you are deluded

ReputationRep:
    It would appear that it's not illogical or devoid of merit as you have confirmed you think it's perfectly fine.

And again you appear to have missed the point. This has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with dressing appropriately and neatly, which shows respect for the occasion and the host.

It doesn't matter what a banker wears in his own office, if that's fine with his employer. What would matter, for example, is if he was prosecuted for a crime and turned up to court in a Hawaiian shirt.

Again it's completely irrelevant what any particular couple want to wear to their own wedding, that's their choice. What is relevant is that when you go to somebody else's wedding, or a funeral, or a court hearing, you dress in a way that shows respect for the solemnity of the occasion.

This was just such an occasion. What makes it worse is that Corbyn turned up to PMQs appropriately dressed. So it's not as if he doesn't understand what it is to dress appropriately. But somehow the RAF Battle of Britain memorial rated lower in his mind that a somber memorial for our honoured war dead.

But as we have established, you would wear a tracksuit to a wedding so I'm unlikely to be able to convince you on this point.
    You're boring me. Tell me about the time the government slashed working tax credits but all the newspapers were banging on about Corbyn not joining in for a sing-a-long?

And no, I wouldn't wear a tracksuit at a wedding. I think ending your own life is your own decision to make and not one for the government to make for you, but that doesn't mean I'm going to top myself before bed tonight.

ReputationRep:
    politics is not a beauty pageant. the number of people pushing ed miliband looking a bit silly (his natural face) while cameron looked polished in the general election was ridiculous. are we turning into america? god help us.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can. What is preposterous is that you appear to think you are some kind of impartial and purely objective observer, as if you are some kind of superior being floating on an ethereal cloud, with no biases of your own, no investment in the outcome of political debates... if you think you are purely objective and an impartial observer, then I genuinely think you are deluded
    Lulz you've completely misinterpreted what I meant.

I hold my own political views, but that doesn't mean I'd call myself a Labour/Tory/whatever supporter just because some of them might share the same views as myself.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think OP expected the backlash lol.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like quite a cool guy tbh, Boris has virtually made a career out of being a shambles and looks as if our Corbs has done the same.

Good on him for telling our forces to get ****ed.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.