The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

can people get back to the topic or make a different thread about vegetarianism and sunlight and stuff... ineveitably it is linked to the story but i think this thread is becoming derailed slightly
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You weren't wrong.

WINNER!

Science is not my strong point.

Original post by CoolCavy
can people get back to the topic or make a different thread about vegetarianism and sunlight and stuff... ineveitably it is linked to the story but i think this thread is becoming derailed slightly

Ok, an elephant is dead. Big woop.
My main argument was to stop you generalising. I never said meat eating was ok. I was just sticking up for the people in the world that you have brandished the same just because they have a different diet to you. There are more important things to judge people by. I have nothing against vegans but even if I did, my reason for judiging you, as a person, negatively is because you generalise people, not because you are a vegan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by Moonstruck16
My main argument was to stop you generalising. I never said meat eating was ok. I was just sticking up for the people in the world that you have brandished the same just because they have a different diet to you. There are more important things to judge people by. I have nothing against vegans but even if I did, my reason for judiging you, as a person, negatively is because you generalise people, not because you are a vegan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the OP has said it is sad indeed that an endangered animal should be killed in this way. I chose not to look at the footage-it is all too familiar. As for the hunter as I think we have established by now on this thread the vegan-fetishers /hunters are not the sharpest tools in the shed, they've got guns and sh*t for brains and that's it.. Obviously there should be better controls of poaching, clear demarcation of hunting/non hunting areas, and better controls to prevent unlawful hunting especially of endangered species.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by versari
As the OP has said it is sad indeed that an endangered animal should be killed in this way. I chose not to look at the footage-it is all too familiar. As for the hunter as I think we have established by now on this thread the vegan-fetishers /hunters are not the sharpest tools in the shed, they've got guns and sh*t for brains and that's it.. Obviously there should be better controls of poaching, clear demarcation of hunting/non hunting areas, and better controls to prevent unlawful hunting especially of endangered species.

But this was lawful hunting.
id take my bow and hunt that German bastard for free. See how he likes it.

And if im feeling really really really generous ill pull his ivory AFTER ive put an arrow through his chest.
Original post by DiddyDec
That would be pretty pointless to go all that way not to kill it. I don't really get trophy hunting to be honest, I hunt for meat and just imagine how much biltong and drywors you could get from an elephant.

In this instance I agree, hunting for sport where the carcass is used at the end of it is one thing. But trophy hunting? Sure keep the antlers of a deer. But a deer carcass will give you so much food (and leather)

Im not averse to hunting for pest control or for meat (i live in Ireland and we do both) but an endangered elephant just so you can say "i shot an elephant" (with as many gadgets as possible so skill isnt a deciding factor) is a strange mentality
Reply 87
But this was lawful hunting.

Not really. By our standards the legal system in Zimbabwe is one of the worlds most corrupt....
Original post by versari
Not really. By our standards the legal system in Zimbabwe is one of the worlds most corrupt....

Still lawful hunting.
Original post by silverbolt
In this instance I agree, hunting for sport where the carcass is used at the end of it is one thing. But trophy hunting? Sure keep the antlers of a deer. But a deer carcass will give you so much food (and leather)

Im not averse to hunting for pest control or for meat (i live in Ireland and we do both) but an endangered elephant just so you can say "i shot an elephant" (with as many gadgets as possible so skill isnt a deciding factor) is a strange mentality

There is still skill in taking down an elephant. Even with a shock absorbing stock the kick on that rifle from what I can only guess is about .600 nitro would be hellish. And from the look of that rifle it is a solid stock.
Reply 90
Still lawful hunting.

Still wrong regardless.
Original post by versari
Still wrong regardless.

Not really.They aren't even endangered.
Disgusting, poor creature.
Reply 93
Not really.They aren't even endangered.

Depends which ones, wwf has African elephants rated as "vulnerable" -then there's the knock on effect of loss of habitat for other species caused by their demise so there's a damaging ripple effect. (The same things that are happening as a result of the loss of bees and bats around the world ie increased use of pesticides GMO, contamination, etc only in a different form to the local ecology)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by versari
Depends which ones, wwf has African elephants rated as "vulnerable" -then there's the knock on effect of loss of habitat for other species caused by their demise so there's a damaging ripple effect.

Well this Elephant is an Africa so no biggie.
Reply 95
I agree, that is disgusting. However, killing that particular elephant may have been a mistake but these rich people hunting trips are what funds conservation in many African countries. The money he pays to do so will save hundreds of animals.
Original post by ivy.98
I agree, that is disgusting. However, killing that particular elephant may have been a mistake but these rich people hunting trips are what funds conservation in many African countries. The money he pays to do so will save hundreds of animals.

that is true, without these hunters and tourists there would probably be no animals there. i just wish people would shoot with their cameras not their guns :frown:
Reply 97
Original post by ivy.98

Well that's the myth. For some reason I'm sceptical because Zimbabwe is a corrupt region, and so far the money it has received has still not stopped the endemic poaching problem. So how many more animals have to die before we discover the money is in fact just diminishing African Wildlife and disappearing into some officials back pocket.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by versari
Well that's the myth. For some reason I'm sceptical because Zimbabwe is a corrupt region, and so far the money it has received has still not stopped the endemic poaching problem. So how many more animals have to die before we discover the money is in fact just diminishing African Wildlife.

I think the solution is sustainable development. Poaching is a problem of poverty. In Europe, we can do a better job at protecting ecosystems because we have more widespread conservationist norms. I just think we shouldn't be satisfied with a solution that involved killing what we're trying to protect.
Reply 99
Original post by ivy.98
I think the solution is sustainable development. Poaching is a problem of poverty. In Europe, we can do a better job at protecting ecosystems because we have more widespread conservationist norms. I just think we shouldn't be satisfied with a solution that involved killing what we're trying to protect.

As I said earlier in the thread the WWF has the African Elephant as officially "vulnerable" why then are German trophy hunters able to get permits to kill one then? Corruption , and, or bad(read skewed) laws. The prob with corruption is you can come up with the most sensible plan but it will never get implemented.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending