Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

German Hunter pays £39,000 to kill largest elephant in living memory watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Well, it harms the animal, obviously.

But I supposes that answers my original question.
    It is only an elephant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    It is only an elephant.
    Well, my original question was whether there is any real excuse or reason for pulling the trigger, other than that the person doing so is an egotist - i.e. they put their brief and fleeting pleasure over the life of another creature.

The answer is obviously no, there is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Eating meat by it's very nature is not sustainable. There is so much energy loss down the food chain so it's more energy efficient to eat plants than to feed these plants to animals and then to eat the animals. 10% of the energy from the Sun passes to plants, and 10% of the energy from the plants that animals are passed onto humans when we eat meat. That means 99% of the energy has been wasted from what the Sun passed onto the plant.

So by the above argument eating meat is not sustainable. Do a bit of research into this and you will see how plant eating is better for the environment.

What do you mean "energy from the sun"? there is no energy from the sun. It's only heat from the sun that makes a plant work. Where are you getting this information...? The vitamin content of a vegan diet is poor.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by versari)
    What do you mean "energy from the sun"? there is no energy from the sun. It's only heat from the sun that makes a plant work. Where are you getting this information...?
    in fairness to him the sun provides the plants with energy, although temperature can be a limiting factor plants need the suns energy for photosynthesis. Source: GCSE and A level Biology

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean "energy from the sun"? there is no energy from the sun. It's only heat from the sun that makes a plant work. Where are you getting this information...?
    Holy ****, have you ever read a book?

Heat is energy.

ReputationRep:
    Packets of energy called photons get emitted from the sun and travel though the vacumn of space and reach earth where they transfer their energy, one those is in the form of heat.

ReputationRep:
    I hope that guy rots in hell for killing an animal just for pleasure

ReputationRep:

Heat is energy.

Heat is the transfer of energy.

:fyi:

But the I guess all energy is just adding :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Heat is the transfer of energy.

:fyi:
    Are you telling me that thermal energy isn't energy and my GCSEs were lying to me all this time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...fersrev1.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I hope that guy rots in hell for killing an animal just for pleasure
    Hell doesn't exist and he will probably the enjoy the privileged superior life as a wealthy American.

There is no justice in this world unless we make it.

ReputationRep:
    Hell doesn't exist and he will probably the enjoy the privileged superior life as a wealthy American.

There is no justice in this world unless we make it.
    Well then I hope he gets accidentally shot

ReputationRep:

Heat is energy.

Nope. Your wrong. Co2 from the air goes into the plant knocking out the oxygen and forming the "substance of the plant". It requires heat not just photons to do that...the substance of the plant is converted into energy later on...but as i said there is no energy in photons the sun or whatever...sorry. Must be the books you're reading.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean "energy from the sun"? there is no energy from the sun. It's only heat from the sun that makes a plant work. Where are you getting this information...? The vitamin content of a vegan diet is poor.
    That's rubbish. More nutrient and vitamin rich than a meat based diet. I basically live off salad, plants and healthy stuff. My diet is vitamin rich and low in fat and cholesterol

ReputationRep:
    Are you telling me that thermal energy isn't energy and my GCSEs were lying to me all this time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...fersrev1.shtml
    I'm just being a pedantic arse.

But being a pedantic arse is definitely in the spirit of thermodynamics

Heat is energy. It;s just in thermodynamics it is measured as the transfer of heat from a hot body to a colder one so it is always a difference in energy. Technically all energy is relative and about converting one form of energy to another or transferring it to somewhere else. This distinguishes it from potential energies etc. If you stand on a table you have gravitational potentiality energy. You have more GPE than if were standing on the floor. But that energy exists in potential. You aren't goign anywhere (unless the table brakes) where as heat is very much a change in energy.

Hope that makes sense and/or that I am actually correct.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Your wrong. Co2 from the air goes into the plant knocking out the oxygen and forming the "substance of the plant". It requires heat not just photons to do that...the substance of the plant is converted into energy later on...but as i said there is no energy in photons the sun or whatever...sorry. Must be the books you're reading.
    What the **** is "substance of the plant"?

Light is energy. Heat is energy. The sun produces both light and heat, so it produces energy.

Did you even go to school?

http://burnanenergyjournal.com/forms...light-sound-2/

ReputationRep:
    I'm just being a pedantic arse.

But being a pedantic arse is definitely in the spirit of thermodynamics

Heat is energy. It;s just in thermodynamics it is measured as the transfer of heat from a hot body to a colder one so it is always a difference in energy. Technically all energy is relative and about converting one form of energy to another or transferring it to somewhere else. This distinguishes it from potential energies etc. If you stand on a table you have gravitational potentiality energy. You have more GPE than if were standing on the floor. But that energy exists in potential. You aren't goign anywhere (unless the table brakes) where as heat is very much a change in energy.

Hope that makes sense and/or that I am actually correct.
    It makes some sense but I am still not entirely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If it works for you it works for you. I can't deny the value of eating plants and avoid GMO if I can, but it seems to me you have to eat a tremendous variety to get the same balance of vitamins as a diet that includes meat.

(Original post by CoolCavy)
    in fairness to him the sun provides the plants with energy, although temperature can be a limiting factor plants need the suns energy for photosynthesis. Source: GCSE and A level Biology

If they read what I said they'd see I even made it simple for them...

What the **** is "substance of the plant"?Light is energy. Heat is energy. The sun produces both light and heat, so it produces energy.Did you even go to school?http://burnanenergyjournal.com/forms...light-sound-2/

You didn't try and understand what I wrote -go back to school idiot.

ReputationRep:
    It makes some sense but I am still not entirely wrong.
    You weren't wrong.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    can people get back to the topic or make a different thread about vegetarianism and sunlight and stuff... ineveitably it is linked to the story but i think this thread is becoming derailed slightly

ReputationRep:
    You weren't wrong.
    WINNER!

Science is not my strong point.

(Original post by CoolCavy)
    can people get back to the topic or make a different thread about vegetarianism and sunlight and stuff... ineveitably it is linked to the story but i think this thread is becoming derailed slightly
    Ok, an elephant is dead. Big woop.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.