Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If I gave you £1m right now, what would you do with it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzimH)
    lool fml I'm always a grammar nazi but I flopped this time. Why am I in uni? :confused: Cool tell him that I require at least 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms (don't ask why) also, I can only pay him with vouchers.
    he prefers vouchers tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    No because then you have the costs have renovating them. I wouldn't buy house at all.
    But renovating a house isn't that expensive if you know the right people?? seriously, you'll save a **** ton of money this way since many battered old houses are going for next to nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantalc)
    why tho
    why not

ReputationRep:
    Clash of clans lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    why not
    quite a random thing to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihihi)
    I would like to have some fun and I'm happy with 40k a year at 21 (reinvest this of course). I'm at uni right now so don't need my own house, and I live with my parents during the holidays, they own 3 houses themselves.
    But you are doing it in a very complicated way and making it harder and more risky than it needs to be. I said if you are lucky 40k. Most likely would be 30-35k.

ReputationRep:
    he prefers vouchers tbh
    Yeah... About that... All the vouchers are expired but it has sentimental value

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzimH)
    Yeah... About that... All the vouchers are expired but it has sentimental value
    the older the better

ReputationRep:
    Some to charity, a lot to my family and the little I have left will go to whatever I find of interest.

ReputationRep:
    quite a random thing to do?
    It's as random as investing in bonds/shares or donating to charity...?

ReputationRep:
    It's as random as investing in bonds/shares or donating to charity...?
    but thats money related? asking someone out is different.

ReputationRep:
    Buy shares
    Some houses and rent them out to get more money
    Live my normal life
    Buy my car and driving lessons etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    But you would never want to use it in case you damaged it. And what is the point in having a gun if you can't use it. To be honest I would rather get one of these. Sure I don't have a need for .50 Beowulf but look how sexy it is.

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...50615142002002
    To show off how posh and rich you are at the gun club?

Hmm. Not what I'd call sexy by any means but whatever floats your boat. I'd still prefer the ornate and opalescent decoration of an old Purdey and the smooth, silver long barrel. That looks more like a military gun than a classic hunting rifle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzimH)
    But renovating a house isn't that expensive if you know the right people?? seriously, you'll save a **** ton of money this way since many battered old houses are going for next to nothing.
    Yeah and those battered old house cost money to fix to a high enough standard, plus the regulations, taxes, insurance and so on. So it doesn't work out at returns higher than renting or on the stock market. It is all between 4-6%. Just with the stock market you have less hassle. I know people the idea of owning something. However I have got 6% a year from the stock market.

ReputationRep:
    the older the better
    That's exactly what my tinder profile says

ReputationRep:
    but thats money related? asking someone out is different.
    beg to differ

there is lot of money involved in asking anyone out

Edit: OOooo just realized you are the OP, I think we got off to a rough start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    But you are doing it in a very complicated way and making it harder and more risky than it needs to be. I said if you are lucky 40k. Most likely would be 30-35k.
    House prices mostly will still go up/be stable, putting it all on bonds and stocks is too risky imo. After I graduate in 2 years I'd be making ~£25k but I'd probably start my own business with the funds.

ReputationRep:
    beg to differ

there is lot of money involved in asking anyone out

Edit: OOooo just realized you are the OP, I think we got off to a rough start
    yeah haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihihi)
    House prices mostly will still go up/be stable, putting it all on bonds and stocks is too risky imo. After I graduate in 2 years I'd be making ~£25k but I'd probably start my own business with the funds.
    That depends where you are. In some places they will drop. However the price of the house doesn't matter if you are renting. So you should be thinking about the rental market and if that will increase or decrease. You are at the mid level of the price for rents. So less people looking to rent and less competition than the lower level. So you may want £1,000 a month, but you could get 800 a month a year from now. Then you have a problem of people not renting for months. So you have no income at all. Stocks aren't risky, it depends which plan you use. Some things are risky, other things aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    To show off how posh and rich you are at the gun club?

Hmm. Not what I'd call sexy by any means but whatever floats your boat. I'd still prefer the ornate and opalescent decoration of an old Purdey and the smooth, silver long barrel. That looks more like a military gun than a classic hunting rifle
    Why would you go to gun club with a pair shotguns? Surely you would go on a shoot with your custom made Holland and Holland Range Rover. And if you simply wanted to show off how rich you were you would go for the Damascus barrels they are the definition of sexy.

http://hollandandholland.com/lifestyle/range-rover/

That "military" rifle has enough power to take down elephant in one shot.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.