Got an interview on 26th.
Predicted: A*AA
UKCAT: 2780
VR: 650
QR: 720
AR: 720
DA: 690
SJT: Band 2

Congrats mate.. What did you get in your as?
Reply 83
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
I've received no reply and I'm really nervous
I think I met all the criteria
I got
AS : AAAAA
A level ored A*A*A*A
Igcse 6A* B
Ukcat
VR 550
AR 730
QA 710
DA 650
Overall 2640
I don't understand why I haven't heard yet anyone in my situation

I know it's hard but try to relax. They didn't get all the interviews out in one go last year (it would have fried the admin teams' brains!) and your stats dictate that you will get an interview; it's just a matter of time. (only a plagiarised PS would stop them wanting to see you as far as I know)
Original post by Dr Gin
I know it's hard but try to relax. They didn't get all the interviews out in one go last year (it would have fried the admin teams' brains!) and your stats dictate that you will get an interview; it's just a matter of time. (only a plagiarised PS would stop them wanting to see you as far as I know)

Hi,

Yeah.. It's too hard to relax.
It's just that my surname ends with A and they would look through the system in alphabetical order .

Just really upset as all dates interviews have been given out which give me the feeling that I've been rejected after having a spot perfect application ? Maybe the Ukcat isn't high enough but it's met he cut off point and exceeded by 30points .
Reply 85
Original post by painandpride15
Oh I see. How do you know so much about Plymouth? Is Plymouth all PBL? mm it's self-directed learning meaning you don't just learn content given from lectures?

My daughter is a first year medic at Plymouth so I followed the application process, went to all the open days, interview and visit days and have been keeping my ears flapping so know a fair bit about the course (so far - they've only been there 2 months!).

Yes, it is heavily PBL. There are lectures, clinical skills teaching and clinical (community) placements but the majority of their studying is based around guided small group and self-directed learning. This means that they have big gaps in their daily timetables but need to use their time wisely. They meet-up in small groups 3 times per fortnight. On the first session they use brainstorming to work out what information they need to research/study in order to be able to have a good understanding of the clinical 'problem' presented to them. The second of the three sessions works out any residual gaps in their acquired knowledge and the third session should tie-up final loose ends so that they have a good-enough knowledge-base to move on. The actual studying can be done alone or with a group of friends - everyone works the way that suits them best. The first year covers all systems from a normal perspective and then in the second year they go back over the same ground but looking at pathology/disease.

Hope this helps.
Reply 86
Hi,

It's just that my surname ends with A and they would look through the system in alphabetical order .

Just really upset as all dates interviews have been given out which give me the feeling that I've been rejected after having a spot perfect application ? Maybe the Ukcat isn't high enough but it's met he cut off point and exceeded by 30points .

I don't think they are doing it alphabetically and honestly am confident that you will hear from them. I'm absolutely sure they didn't send out all the invites in one go last year (although they did get their initial offers out with one press of a button) so you will still hear I'm sure.
Hi,

Chill broooo your stats are amazing stop showing off
Original post by koolgurl14
Chill broooo your stats are amazing stop showing off

It's more of a tense situation rather than showing off just wanted advise From peers ..
Original post by Dr Gin
I don't think they are doing it alphabetically and honestly am confident that you will hear from them. I'm absolutely sure they didn't send out all the invites in one go last year (although they did get their initial offers out with one press of a button) so you will still hear I'm sure.

Really appreciate it ... Thanks a lot
Hey guys, I wanted to ask if anyone knows when they tend to hand out dentistry interviews as I haven't heard anyone receiving an interview as of yet from school for dentistry? I'm guessing it should be the same time as Medicine.

Thanks
Reply 91
Original post by NervousBoy
Hey guys, I wanted to ask if anyone knows when they tend to hand out dentistry interviews as I haven't heard anyone receiving an interview as of yet from school for dentistry? I'm guessing it should be the same time as Medicine.

Thanks

Last year they released the UKCAT cut-offs and started inviting to interview at around the same time (it was the equivalent of this Friday, Nov 13th) so worth a phone call to them to find out how close they are to sending out invites...
Original post by Dr Gin
Last year they released the UKCAT cut-offs and started inviting to interview at around the same time (it was the equivalent of this Friday, Nov 13th) so worth a phone call to them to find out how close they are to sending out invites...

Many thanks Dr Gin
Reply 93
Many thanks Dr Gin

You're welcome and p.s. their interview dates were the week after so the equivalent of December 2nd, 3rd, 4th...
Original post by Dr Gin
You're welcome and p.s. their interview dates were the week after so the equivalent of December 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

Oh now that makes more sense because I began to panic thinking if I was to get an interview I would have only 2 weeks to prepare! Thank you
Oh now that makes more sense because I began to panic thinking if I was to get an interview I would have only 2 weeks to prepare! Thank you

You might still only get 2 weeks to prepare, just like for us applying to medicine. I know it's short !
Original post by Dr Gin
My daughter is a first year medic at Plymouth so I followed the application process, went to all the open days, interview and visit days and have been keeping my ears flapping so know a fair bit about the course (so far - they've only been there 2 months!).

Yes, it is heavily PBL. There are lectures, clinical skills teaching and clinical (community) placements but the majority of their studying is based around guided small group and self-directed learning. This means that they have big gaps in their daily timetables but need to use their time wisely. They meet-up in small groups 3 times per fortnight. On the first session they use brainstorming to work out what information they need to research/study in order to be able to have a good understanding of the clinical 'problem' presented to them. The second of the three sessions works out any residual gaps in their acquired knowledge and the third session should tie-up final loose ends so that they have a good-enough knowledge-base to move on. The actual studying can be done alone or with a group of friends - everyone works the way that suits them best. The first year covers all systems from a normal perspective and then in the second year they go back over the same ground but looking at pathology/disease.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dr Gin, your reply was very helpful .

When you pointed out that is was self-directed I started to immediately think of having to do everything on your own and then thus potentially missing out things you need to learn etc but I like the fact of three sessions actually. It seems quite good and in many ways better than sitting in the monotony of a lecture.
Reply 97
*stupid question * but what are people saying in confirmation emails? are you literally just quoting the time/ date and what are you putting as subject line?

just so paranoid about mine getting lost somewhere 😬
Reply 98
Original post by Al1c3
*stupid question * but what are people saying in confirmation emails? are you literally just quoting the time/ date and what are you putting as subject line?

just so paranoid about mine getting lost somewhere 😬

I just put medicine interview for the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview for the 27th!!
Achieved AS: ABBB
Predicted A2: A*AA (and A* in WBQ)
UKCAT:
VR 590
QR 720
AR 680
DA 670
Overal 2660