Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who likes eating eggs here? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    3 eggs this morning morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again, try replying to the content in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Again, try replying to the content in the OP.
    :lol:

Tbh, if the OP wanted people to comment specifically in relation to the first post then perhaps s/he should've thought of a better thread title.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My omelet was still as tasty.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I like egg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky777)
    My omelet was still as tasty.
    But how does it taste with all that haunting guilt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Watch this documentary about eggs and chicks:

Very interesting. Has it put you off eggs? The meat and dairy industries are awful. Think about where your food really comes from. Go Vegan for the animals! :woo:
    Uh, no, actually, all the film tells me is to keep going free-range...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Free-range refers to the amount of space the egg-laying hens have at the egg factories.

That's irrelevant with respect to the hatcheries, which is what the video was about, and which supply all factories, including the free-range ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    But how does it taste with all that haunting guilt?
    Guilt is spicy, but quite bitter. Not the best taste.

But for real though, I've seen a video on YouTube that freaked the fk out of me, it was only 4 sec long. It was some kind of huge metallic blender filled with chicks, and 1 sec later the were all gone, nasty as fk, poor chicks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Free range is usually just yarding, where the doors are open but the birds don't go outside as there is little to no food there, the weather conditions, and the fact that an empty field is not how chickens stimulate themselves, forestry is where they are happy.

The birds that no longer lay the quality of eggs desired in the quantity desired...what do you think happens to them?
    Then there's the male issue, what happens to the males?
    Quote from the first page for you:

(Original post by e aí rapaz)
    The hens come from the same hatcheries.
    If you're going to claim something is ethical, it is prudent to actually assess whether it is, rather than swallowing marketing campaigns without question, sorry to be the one to burst your bubble.

ReputationRep:
    Guilt is spicy, but quite bitter. Not the best taste.

But for real though, I've seen a video on YouTube that freaked the fk out of me, it was only 4 sec long. It was some kind of huge metallic blender filled with chicks, and 1 sec later the were all gone, nasty as fk, poor chicks
    Just to re-enforce the message, every time you consumer eggs from the industry (and even often non-conventionally produced eggs a lot of the time) you are actively supporting that industry and practice with your money and demand for the product.

ReputationRep:
    Love eggs, eat them all the time. They're one of my main sources of sustenance. Thought the video was utterly ridiculous and funny too. Nothing could put me off eggs, they're delicious. All I care about is getting decent quality eggs at the cheapest price possible (thank you Lidl), I do not care what happens behind the scenes. That video is fake, I'm hardly going to believe a video on YouTube that's being narrated by an American. Animals were put on earth for our benefit so that we may consume their flesh and eggs. Also, regarding the video - it's not meant to be a petting zoo, the chicks don't need to be cuddled, you just need to extract the eggs in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible...so no cuddling.

Thought the last line in the video was hilarious, "You can help end this cruelty by adopting a compassionate, vegan diet." And miss out on tasty fried eggs?! Also, what cruelty?! Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    If I could, I'd have my own chicken. My grandmother had a bunch when I was a kid and the eggs tasted much better. *biased* Taste of guilt was absent lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Free-range refers to the amount of space the egg-laying hens have at the egg factories.

That's irrelevant with respect to the hatcheries, which is what the video was about, and which supply all factories, including the free-range ones.
    Yh, but if you get a good supplier who you know, it's actually much better. e.g. milk from cows in CH which roam the mountains and eat wildflowers is obviously better than just randomly buying whatever's in the store that day.

Plus, if you want to consider everything, then you'd better stop wearing leather shoes (plus jackets, etc.) Don't wear anything with wool in it. Don't eat jelly... the list goes on and on. I'm just trying to say that we need animals; if we want them to have better lives, we should try to pull the weed out at its root and do something about the companies themselves

(such as doing research and letting the world know, so that the companies will be pressured to improve the animals' conditions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That 2Fase)
    Love eggs, eat them all the time. They're one of my main sources of sustenance. Thought the video was utterly ridiculous and funny too. Nothing could put me off eggs, they're delicious. All I care about is getting decent quality eggs at the cheapest price possible (thank you Lidl), I do not care what happens behind the scenes. That video is fake, I'm hardly going to believe a video on YouTube that's being narrated by an American. Animals were put on earth for our benefit so that we may consume their flesh and eggs. Also, regarding the video - it's not meant to be a petting zoo, the chicks don't need to be cuddled, you just need to extract the eggs in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible...so no cuddling.

Thought the last line in the video was hilarious, "You can help end this cruelty by adopting a compassionate, vegan diet." And miss out on tasty fried eggs?! Also, what cruelty?! Ridiculous.
    Just to confirm, you're claiming the video is fake, but at the same time arguing that the welfare of the chickens doesn't matter.
    If it's just about extracting eggs at complete detriment to welfare (and I agree with you there, that is all they care about) then why would you think there is any notion of welfare?

And what exactly do you think happens to males born into the egg laying industry?

It's been well documented that standard industry practice is to grind the males shortly after gender identification.

ReputationRep:
    If I could, I'd have my own chicken. My grandmother had a bunch when I was a kid and the eggs tasted much better. *biased* Taste of guilt was absent lol
    What is this in reply to?

Did you see my previous comment where I quoted you?

ReputationRep:
    What is this in reply to?

Did you see my previous comment where I quoted you?
    Yes, I forgot to quote, sorry about the confusion

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I forgot to quote, sorry about the confusion
    Out of interest do you think you'll change your consumer choices at all since seeing this topic?

ReputationRep:
    Just to confirm, you're claiming the video is fake, but at the same time arguing that the welfare of the chickens doesn't matter.
    If it's just about extracting eggs at complete detriment to welfare (and I agree with you there, that is all they care about) then why would you think there is any notion of welfare?

And what exactly do you think happens to males born into the egg laying industry?

It's been well documented that standard industry practice is to grind the males shortly after gender identification.
    I'm not passionate about animal rights. I don't believe animals have rights. I am NOT saying that we should go out of our way to deliberately harm animals and inflict pain upon them. I'm a consumer, I have absolutely no power over what happens to animals across the world because I'm not in a position of power. The food industry is all about maximising profits, that happens through reducing expenses. Streamlining, mass production, increasing efficiency...it's no different than the conveyor belt model that operates in other forms of industry and manufacturing. This doesn't leave room for treating animals with compassion. It's not a 5 star hotel, it's an egg harvesting facility. I'd rather have the choice to buy really cheap eggs than have to spend a premium on eggs just so that the chicks can be cuddled while they're laying eggs.

And yes, the video is fake, I don't believe in the media and I don't believe in YouTube. It's not real.

I have no idea about the inns and outs of how eggs are brought to our supermarkets, I don't know the story and I'm not interested. As I said, all I care about is buying eggs at a cheap price because they're extremely important to me. I'm comfortable to make the assumption that the companies who provide us with eggs are operating within lawful limits, I'm not interested in what's going on behind the scenes. It's not my industry, I'm just a consumer and I love eggs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That 2Fase)
    I'm not passionate about animal rights. I don't believe animals have rights. I am NOT saying that we should go out of our way to deliberately harm animals and inflict pain upon them. I'm a consumer, I have absolutely no power over what happens to animals across the world because I'm not in a position of power. The food industry is all about maximising profits, that happens through reducing expenses. Streamlining, mass production, increasing efficiency...it's no different than the conveyor belt model that operates in other forms of industry and manufacturing. This doesn't leave room for treating animals with compassion. It's not a 5 star hotel, it's an egg harvesting facility. I'd rather have the choice to buy really cheap eggs than have to spend a premium on eggs just so that the chicks can be cuddled while they're laying eggs.

And yes, the video is fake, I don't believe in the media and I don't believe in YouTube. It's not real.

I have no idea about the inns and outs of how eggs are brought to our supermarkets, I don't know the story and I'm not interested. As I said, all I care about is buying eggs at a cheap price because they're extremely important to me. I'm comfortable to make the assumption that the companies who provide us with eggs are operating within lawful limits, I'm not interested in what's going on behind the scenes. It's not my industry, I'm just a consumer and I love eggs.
    A few points:

I don't believe in animal rights.

Your say you don't know what standard industry practice is (and it is grinding male chicks alive, though some places do use gas, that's not been seen as as efficient, so is rarer, unless the law actually changed on that one).

There is nothing illegal about grinding up male chicks.

Lastly:
    You don't believe in the media?
    I suppose you also therefore don't believe in epistemic dependence. I would surmise you are either a conspiracy theorist who has shunned critical thinking or you are a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest do you think you'll change your consumer choices at all since seeing this topic?
    Not instantly, but I am definitely considering this, as well as other changes such as avoiding cow milk. As far as economy an environment goes, we should really consider insects as a food source, takes less water, less land, etc but I guess I'm off-topic now lol.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.