Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babooshkat)
    Got an unconditional (if firmed) from Royal Holloway and an unconditional from Queen Mary
    I got an unconditional from Royal Holloway too! Are you considering putting it as your firm or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisahoyle)
    I got an unconditional from Royal Holloway too! Are you considering putting it as your firm or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    most likely not :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzad0gs)
    Got an unconditional from Oxford Brookes
    what subject did you apply for? (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliieeliew)
    what subject did you apply for? (:
    Anthropology ^~^

ReputationRep:
    Got one from de Montfort as long as I formed it but it was only my 3rd or 4th choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional if firm from Royal Holloway for English, but I'm not firming them, so it is irrelevant really
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    There's a very good TSR article on unconditional offers here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...if-you-get-one

The key points are
    A) don't rush a decision about your firm/insurance. You have until May so USE that time. There's nothing to gain from firming early and everything to lose. No applicant should be picking a firm on track until April.
    And
    B) don't be flattered or pressured into firming a university you would not have wanted to go to otherwise.

The actual offers you get should NOT be a factor in deciding your firm. It should simply be the university course you MOST want to study.

Unconditional if firmed offers are particularly nasty in my opinion. A university is saying that they accept you with any grades as long as you don't rate them as second choice. They don't want you enough to offer you the option of an unpressured decision and they're not confident enough in the quality of what they offer you to give you an unconditional offer you could use as insurance. It's manipulative and a sign that even they don't think they're good enough to be your first choice. I personally wouldn't want to attend a university with that sort of attitude towards itself and its students.

ReputationRep:
    I have four unconditional offers for Ecology, I don't think this is that unusual as I finished my A Levels in 2014 so I already have my grades, but I am quite chuffed to have a couple from Russell group unis with only BBC! I am pretty sure I will end up going to Bangor but am still going to go to the visit days with an open mind and think carefully about it.
    Kate

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional offer from UEL

ReputationRep:
    And this was with only B E E at AS, Altho predicted A B C at A2; shows you don't always need the highest grades to receive an unconditional, if you're personal statement is good and you're references are good then you might get one

ReputationRep:
    I got an Unconditional from Roehampton for Criminology

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesosleepy)
    So if you get an unconditional, you can miss all your exams and get accepted in?
    Lmao. Why would you miss your exams cause of that? They can always kick you out; what will you do then?

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional offer from one of the uni's I applied to, what does that mean?
    Ps. I'm a European student

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a post A-Level applicant so my offers are unconditional. I have received unconditional offers from LSE, Warwick and Oxford and have firmed Oxford.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by H.b9)
    I got a conditional offer from one of the uni's I applied to, what does that mean?
    Ps. I'm a European student

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...on/types-offer

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional from Goldsmiths. However I'm applying as a mature student and I finished my access course before I applied so I already had my final results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraamy97)
    I received an unconditional from Leicester for Psychology
    Omg so have I! Do you know if you are firming Leicester's offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There's a very good TSR article on unconditional offers here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...if-you-get-one

The key points are
    A) don't rush a decision about your firm/insurance. You have until May so USE that time. There's nothing to gain from firming early and everything to lose. No applicant should be picking a firm on track until April.
    And
    B) don't be flattered or pressured into firming a university you would not have wanted to go to otherwise.

The actual offers you get should NOT be a factor in deciding your firm. It should simply be the university course you MOST want to study.

Unconditional if firmed offers are particularly nasty in my opinion. A university is saying that they accept you with any grades as long as you don't rate them as second choice. They don't want you enough to offer you the option of an unpressured decision and they're not confident enough in the quality of what they offer you to give you an unconditional offer you could use as insurance. It's manipulative and a sign that even they don't think they're good enough to be your first choice. I personally wouldn't want to attend a university with that sort of attitude towards itself and its students.
    [QUOTE=PQ;61154233]There's a very good TSR article on unconditional offers here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...if-you-get-one

The key points are
    And

Unconditional if firmed offers are particularly nasty in my opinion. A university is saying that they accept you with any grades as long as you don't rate them as second choice. They don't want you enough to offer you the option of an unpressured decision and they're not confident enough in the quality of what they offer you to give you an unconditional offer you could use as insurance. It's manipulative and a sign that even they don't think they're good enough to be your first choice. I personally wouldn't want to attend a university with that sort of attitude towards itself and its students.[/QUOTE

I wholeheartedly disagree with the latter part of your post. Are you suggesting that Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh etc etc don't think they're good enough to be anyone's first choice? Seriously?!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)

(Original post by PQ)

I wholeheartedly disagree with the latter part of your post. Are you suggesting that Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh etc etc don't think they're good enough to be anyone's first choice? Seriously?!
    Those universities don't give out unconditional IF FIRMED offers.

ReputationRep:
    I beg your pardon. I misread what you said. Sorry

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.