Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sugar tax and offers ban 'would work' says report watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Well actually, considering the NHS is a publicly funded and government ran organisation then yes, your health is of their concern. You ****ing idiot.
    Funny, I don't recall the NHS being limited to the choices one makes. I suppose they also don't cover people who do extreme sports, run full length marath...oh wait. This is more about fat shaming than anything else. Well in that case by all means.

ReputationRep:
    Great idea. Let the moronic masses become even more moronic by choosing not to let their children go to school, let people take whatever drugs they want without restriction or assistance. Let people gorge themselves on whatever food they want, let abusive parents continue mistreating their children, let further people become homeless and pollute the streets.. etc etc.
    The only reason the masses are so "moronic" is because they don't have to take care of themselves, and so don't know how to.

(Original post by Katty3)
    In the Victorian era, there was no welfare state. Children grew up in poverty as a result. When the tories left office in 1997 a third of children were living in poverty. When labour left office, this had dropped to less than a fifth. We have a responsibility to everyone else because we are human.

If we have the ability to help another, we should do. Regardless of who they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You still haven't defined what you actually mean by responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    The only reason the masses are so "moronic" is because they don't have to take care of themselves, and so don't know how to.
    And the fact that our schools are turning into exam factories and schools are being scrutinized on paperwork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Funny, I don't recall the NHS being limited to the choices one makes. I suppose they also don't cover people who do extreme sports, run full length marath...oh wait. This is more about fat shaming than anything else. Well in that case by all means.
    Obesity costs the NHS £4 billion a year and puts severe stress on the organisation as a whole. Now I wonder how much money extreme sport enthusiasts cost the NHS?

It isn't anything to do with fat shaming (not I find anything wrong with it anyway). Unless you think smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts are also wrongly shamed?

Not really relevant. Point is it is too late to all of a sudden give everyone a responsibility over their own lives again. Sure in theory, everyone being self-sufficient and responsible sounds brilliant but it isn't very practical.

ReputationRep:
    Obesity costs the NHS £4 billion a year and puts severe stress on the organisation as a whole. Now I wonder how much money extreme sport enthusiasts cost the NHS? So yep well done, keep proving how much of a moron you are.

It isn't anything to do with fat shaming (not I find anything wrong with it anyway). Unless you think smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts are also wrongly shamed?

Not really relevant. Point is it is too late to all of a sudden give everyone a responsibility over their own lives again. Sure in theory, everyone being self-sufficient and responsible sounds brilliant but it isn't very practical.
    So why should I be paying more for my sugar? My BMI is below the norm.
    I drink, but I don't think often or much, why should I be paying more?

And you don't see anything wrong with fat shaming?
    So I guess you think badly of those with body dsymorphia, those with problems with their thyroid or adrenal glands, and those who are overweight but happy with their weight?

And how does raising the cost of alcohol do anything but make alcoholics who aren't in recovery less well off? People don't stop being alcoholics because it is expensive, they stop being alcoholics because they deal with the reasons they became an alcoholic and address new coping strategies whilst they get help for the addiction.

That's the second time you've personally attacked me. And the second time you've replied to me with statements based in irrational (and frankly, stupid) reasoning.

Do not let it happen again.

ReputationRep:

You still haven't defined what you actually mean by responsibility.
    the state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one's power, control, or management.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Tax should be used to subsidize healthier foods.... otherwise

REGRESSIVE TAX

Well the science (insofar as sociology is a science :teehee:) says it does work. So that isn't grounds to be against it really. Since it probably would have the intended effect.
    I think it is equally valid to put it towards subsidising the NHS, no?

Hopefully they will also bring in a processed meat tax soon given the new WHO guidelines on meat and cancer...

ReputationRep:
    So why should I be paying more for my sugar? My BMI is below the norm.
    I drink, but I don't think often or much, why should I be paying more?

And you don't see anything wrong with fat shaming?
    So I guess you think badly of those with body dsymorphia, those with problems with their thyroid or adrenal glands, and those who are overweight but happy with their weight?

And how does raising the cost of alcohol do anything but make alcoholics who aren't in recovery less well off? People don't stop being alcoholics because it is expensive, they stop being alcoholics because they deal with the reasons they became an alcoholic and address new coping strategies whilst they get help for the addiction.

That's the second time you've personally attacked me. And the second time you've replied to me with statements based in irrational (and frankly, stupid) reasoning.

Do not let it happen again.
    Can't believe I have to educate another person on this. BMI is a flawed method of calculating both obesity and health. You may be under the "BMI" norm but that doesn't necessarily make you healthy. Even if you were then tough luck. I have to pay more for alcohol despite not being an alcoholic. I have to pay tax that contributes towards the NHS despite never using the service. You do realise that a sugar tax, if proved successful in saving the NHS funds then you would save money in the long run?

As for your second point, it may not cure alcoholics who are already too far gone but it can help to avoid others binge drinking to such a degree that it causes serious health problems. You disagree?

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...26-1/22-34.htm

'The majority of this research clearly supports the view that increases in the monetary prices of alcoholic beverages, which can be achieved by raising Federal, State and local alcohol taxes, significantly reduce alcohol consumption.'

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...binge-drinking

Irrational and stupid reasoning? Coming from the person who tried to compare the costs of obesity to extreme sport and fitness fanatics :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe I have to educate another person on this. BMI is a flawed method of calculating both obesity and health. You may be under the "BMI" norm but that doesn't necessarily make you healthy. Even if you were then tough luck. I have to pay more for alcohol despite not being an alcoholic. I have to pay tax that contributes towards the NHS despite never using the service. You do realise that a sugar tax, if proved successful in saving the NHS funds then you would save money in the long run?

As for your second point, it may not cure alcoholics who are already too far gone but it can help to avoid others binge drinking to such a degree that it causes serious health problems. You disagree?

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...26-1/22-34.htm

'The majority of this research clearly supports the view that increases in the monetary prices of alcoholic beverages, which can be achieved by raising Federal, State and local alcohol taxes, significantly reduce alcohol consumption.'

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...binge-drinking

Irrational and stupid reasoning? Coming from the person who tried to compare the costs of obesity to extreme sport and fitness fanatics :rofl: :rofl:
    Didn't compare the cost, but nice strawman.

And I agree BMI is flawed, but this is related to fat shaming, which both the previous labour government, and the tories have done consistently.

If it's about being healthy then other foods would be taxed. However, they are not. In fact, consuming dairy is still encouraged.

As for what you say about alcoholics, you clearly have no intention of grasping how mental illness works and how it affects people. So why comment on it? Your lack of political understanding and your ignorant statements on addiction magnify the irony of you throwing insults around.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't compare the cost, but nice strawman.

And I agree BMI is flawed, but this is related to fat shaming, which both the previous labour government, and the tories have done consistently.

If it's about being healthy then other foods would be taxed. However, they are not. In fact, consuming dairy is still encouraged.

As for what you say about alcoholics, you clearly have no intention of grasping how mental illness works and how it affects people. So why comment on it? Your lack of political understanding and your ignorant statements on addiction magnify the irony of you throwing insults around.
    So what exactly was the point in you bringing them up? Please explain...

How have they fat shamed exactly? By stating that their is an obesity problem (which there is) and that obesity is bad? (which it is).

Sugar isn't even taxed yet so how can you say other food should already be taxed? And no, stop exaggerating, only low fat versions of dairy are encouraged. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...iry-foods.aspx

'The total fat content of dairy products can vary a lot. Fat in milk provides calories for young children and also contains essential vitamins such as vitamin B2 and vitamin B12.

However, much of the fat in milk and dairy foods is saturated fat. For older children and adults, eating too much fat can contribute to excess energy intakes, leading to becoming overweight. A diet high in saturated fat can also lead to raised levels of cholesterol in the blood, and this can put you at increased risk of a heart attack or stroke.'

Are you claiming that most obese people are suffering from either mental issues or physical? That's laughable. Obesity is mostly caused by laziness, poor education in nutrition, lack of exercise, long working hours and the price of healthy food.

Therefore a sugar tax (only if the money goes to reducing the price of healthy food) would prove beneficial. Not sure how that's so difficult for you to understand.

ReputationRep:
    The government should start a taxation tax, where you're taxed a on certain amount of the tax you pay.

ReputationRep:
    So what exactly was the point in you bringing them up? Please explain...

How have they fat shamed exactly? By stating that their is an obesity problem (which there is) and that obesity is bad? (which it is).

Sugar isn't even taxed yet so how can you say other food should already be taxed? And no, stop exaggerating, only low fat versions of dairy are encouraged. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...iry-foods.aspx

'The total fat content of dairy products can vary a lot. Fat in milk provides calories for young children and also contains essential vitamins such as vitamin B2 and vitamin B12.

However, much of the fat in milk and dairy foods is saturated fat. For older children and adults, eating too much fat can contribute to excess energy intakes, leading to becoming overweight. A diet high in saturated fat can also lead to raised levels of cholesterol in the blood, and this can put you at increased risk of a heart attack or stroke.'

Are you claiming that most obese people are suffering from either mental issues or physical? That's laughable. Obesity is mostly caused by laziness, poor education in nutrition, lack of exercise, long working hours and the price of healthy food.

Therefore a sugar tax (only if the money goes to reducing the price of healthy food) would prove beneficial. Not sure how that's so difficult for you to understand.
    My God, not only to you go to argue half my case for me (that dairy is encouraged) but further then stereotype.
    And my pointhas remained the same, there aren't good reasons to tax sure, and the reasons they're doing it are bad.

(Original post by Captain Jack)
    When there are problems like this, why is the cost and responsibility always passed onto the public though? Why can't the Government just legislate an acceptable percent of sugar in food. It'd be harder for the food producers, but who cares?
    This is what I was thinking.

But, again, there are things that I enjoy, albeit very occasionally, and i'd miss them if they were no longer available.

Serious suggestion: forget the tax and bring back rationing.

ReputationRep:
    My God, not only to you go to argue half my case for me (that dairy is encouraged) but further then stereotype.
    And my pointhas remained the same, there aren't good reasons to tax sure, and the reasons they're doing it are bad.
    Are you seriously dense? I just showed you evidence that dairy is both encouraged and discouraged. The fatty type of dairy is discouraged which is all that matters.

Well done for ignoring most of the post though and replying with nonsensical dribble.

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously dense? I just showed you evidence that dairy is both encouraged and discouraged. The fatty type of dairy is discouraged which is all that matters.
    'all that matters'. Sounds like some seriously a priori thinking you have there.

Well done for ignoring most of the post though and replying with nonsensical dribble.
    Why would I validate your denial of the reasons many people who are obese, are obese?

ReputationRep:
    'all that matters'. Sounds like some seriously a priori thinking you have there.

Why would I validate your denial of the reasons many people who are obese, are obese?
    My denial? Sorry, didn't realise all those statistics and studies were simply 'denial'. But please, continue to play the victim.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone ever doubt that it would 'work'?

That's not the point. The point is whether it's appropriate for the state to interfere in people's lives in this way.

ReputationRep:
    My denial? Sorry, didn't realise all those statistics and studies were simply 'denial'. But please, continue to play the victim.
    You're now insinuating that I'm obese...lovely.

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would stop peddling this nonsense to excuse their poor dietary habits. A calorie is not simply a calorie.
    Well, for your average overweight person looking to lose weight..... it is.

ReputationRep:
    it's a complete hoax :

genetic
    environment
    chemicals
    stress
    eating the wrong fats, margarine, sunflower oil, soybean oil etc
    sugar alternatives,

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.