Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever met someone cleverer than yourself? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamlover)
    The point is to get a 1st at Oxford, irrespective of how much work you put in, you have to be intelligent, most likely highly intelligent. That's as close to a tautology as you can get when it comes to classifying intelligence, it's that hard. And btw, everyone who gets a 1st at Oxford puts hours and hours of work in. By and large, everyone who gets a 2:2 at oxford puts in hours and hours of work. It's just one of those places.
    I reckon a portion of academic success is pure luck based on adminstration too, even at places like Oxford. The modules you choose have a huge part in how well you do. The way your modules assess you, it could be a presentation, group essay or exam might help/hinder you. Whether or not the assessed parts focuses on your strongest topic or weakest topic. So even if you were to get a 1st, it cannot be a guaranteed indicator that you are the cleverest. It's more likely that you are fairly talented in a subject, worked very hard and had a bit of luck in your assessments.

So I imagine there are students who end with 2:2 or lower who could realistically be considered more intelligent than some of the luckier students who get a 1st. The same applies across all universities, I reckon there's loads of hidden geniuses who simply didn't get the opportunity, or even think of, going to Oxbridge or a Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    To be honest. No.
    Seriously? I've read your posts. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by versari)
    Worth remembering, one truly compassionate person is still worth more than all the clever clogs.......
    I like this post. :yep: Motives, kindness, a way of being around others - all those things matter a lot. Intelligence is often over-rated.

(Original post by Awesome Genius)
    Yeh except I have a first class degree from Oxford.
    So do millions of other people.

What's your IQ, then, if you're so clever? :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    So do millions of other people.

What's your IQ, then, if you're so clever? :pierre:
    Internet IQ tests are dodgy lol
    But I get around 135-140 normally

ReputationRep:
    Haha, cleverest person I ever met* was an eight-year-old boy who, no doubt, will someday follow in Einstein's footprints. Yep, cleverer than me!
    *Intelligence being relative to age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Seriously? I've read your posts. :teehee:
    Wondering if you have. As I would be obvious that I am the cleverest person ever if you did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Yes, every day, all the time.

While Awesome Genius may be talking a lot of nonsense in this thread, at Oxbridge, I'd say natural intelligence is probably more important than how hard you work in terms of exam performance.

Most people in Oxbridge work reasonably hard. In my experience (others may disagree), most of the variation in exam performance is due to natural intelligence. For any given individual, of course working hard will help them to improve their own marks.
    "Natural intelligence" isn't a thing. Quality of prior education is a thing, and hard work is a thing. The difference is due to hard work: both at the time, and previously. The people at the top end aren't getting better marks because of some natural intelligence: they're getting better marks because of years or decades of hard work beforehand.

(Original post by Awesome Genius)
    Internet IQ tests are dodgy lol
    But I get around 135-140 normally
    Not very impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serebro)
    I reckon a portion of academic success is pure luck based on adminstration too, even at places like Oxford. The modules you choose have a huge part in how well you do. The way your modules assess you, it could be a presentation, group essay or exam might help/hinder you. Whether or not the assessed parts focuses on your strongest topic or weakest topic. So even if you were to get a 1st, it cannot be a guaranteed indicator that you are the cleverest. It's more likely that you are fairly talented in a subject, worked very hard and had a bit of luck in your assessments.

So I imagine there are students who end with 2:2 or lower who could realistically be considered more intelligent than some of the luckier students who get a 1st. The same applies across all universities, I reckon there's loads of hidden geniuses who simply didn't get the opportunity, or even think of, going to Oxbridge or a Russell Group.
    You're right about highly intelligent 2:2 people; they do exist and they're usually just a bit lazy. There are even people who probably couldn't get a pass at any university that have exceptional mental abilities in other ways (i.e. autistic savants for instance), but really, so what.
    One of the first rules of logic is that "not A's are B" is not a relevant rebuttal to the statement that "all B's are A".

In this case A=very intelligent person B=got a 1st at Oxford.

In other words, no one is saying that if you didn't get a 1st at Oxford you are not intelligent, I am just saying that if you did, you are. One does not follow from the other. And, seriously, luck plays such a small factor as to be negligible. That's clearly demonstrated by the fact that certain people consistently score higher than others. It's hard work and brains.
    I think the real issue here is that people, understandably, dislike the perceived smugness that comes with voicing ones academic achievements and are attempting to minimise them as a result. But sometimes, it's not smugness, it's just honesty.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Big fish small pond kind of person. Hit me when I got to UCL how crazy intelligent some people are.

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm sure there are people out there that are smarter than me. But so far I have yet to run into them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSam3)
    "Natural intelligence" isn't a thing. Quality of prior education is a thing, and hard work is a thing. The difference is due to hard work: both at the time, and previously. The people at the top end aren't getting better marks because of some natural intelligence: they're getting better marks because of years or decades of hard work beforehand.
    lol come on, that's nonsense. People vary in terms of how naturally intelligent they are. Some people, no matter how hard they work, won't be capable of achieving certain results.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's not possible because I'm always correct and everyone else is always wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Haha, cleverest person I ever met* was an eight-year-old boy who, no doubt, will someday follow in Einstein's footprints. Yep, cleverer than me!
    *Intelligence being relative to age.
    Funny how most peoples idea of being clever always relates predictably to Einstein or Mathematics. The dividing line it seems to me between the "good" and the "brilliant" is usually one of vision or to put it another way imagination.
    That's what made Einstein so cleaver..

I prefer to look at people like Jimi Hendrix...

ReputationRep:
    I thought this issue might pop up in my life so I decided instead to never leave my house

(Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Of course I have.

Considering I've only seen you say one intelligent thing OP, I'd contend I've met many people clever than you.
    This doesn't make any sense.

Also OP the better word would be "smarter"

ReputationRep:
    Regularly.

ReputationRep:
    What is clever?

If your talking about intelligence well that's really just the rate of which you pick information up. Naturally intelligent people may be able to read a text once and have the knowledge saved to their hard drive so to speak where as someone who isn't naturally intelligent may have to read it a few times, have it broken down for them, read a different source etc.

Knowledge is the actually what you know bit I.e maths. You can be very intelligent and be very sheltered and know **** all about anything, you can be unintelligent and have lots of in depth knowledge about a wide range of subjects.

Really someone who is thick as pig **** could gain a PhD in physics. It just happens most people do not have the determination or motivation to drag themselves through a subject they find extremely difficult. But it is theoretically and in some cases practically possible it just takes a mountain more effort and desire than a naturally intelligent person.

As for smarter/cleverer, well that all depends on your definition. Is smarter the ease of gaining new knowledge or the amount of knowledge possessed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    lol come on, that's nonsense. People vary in terms of how naturally intelligent they are. Some people, no matter how hard they work, won't be capable of achieving certain results.
    Not true. At all. The reason that people generally don't achieve those things is that they are continually told that they can't. Barring major brain damage/etc., there is no such limit. At all.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.