Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are more people becoming Vegetarian? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    I myself have absolutely no intention of cutting out meat from my diet. But I can understand why some people choose to go vegetarian.
    This, basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    This, basically.
    Irregardless of any arguments made?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Irregardless of any arguments made?
    What arguments?

ReputationRep:
    What arguments?
    Against eating animal products. You refuse to give any authority if it might mean accepting you ought not eat animal products?

ReputationRep:
    Against eating animal products. You refuse to give any authority if it might mean accepting you ought not eat animal products?
    I don't understand what you're saying.

I don't care about a chicken getting killed, I like eating chicken. If somebody loves them so much and it bothers them so much that they are killed then it's understandable that they want to be vegetarians. Good for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    I would because it's just the way of life lol. Lions and other animals eat other animals. Cows also still eat living beings (plants). The only organisms that don't harm innocent living beings are certain micro organisms (even plants end up killing other plants to survive). The rest of us have to kill to survive (including herbivores).
    Another logically fallacious appeal to nature, with a dose of mistaking plants for sentient beings; that is, beings that can feel pain and suffer. But, even if it were true that plants could feel pain and suffer, you yourself admit that cows eat plants, so by eating meat, you're responsible for both the suffering of the animal and the plants: it takes a lot more plant protein to produce 1kg of meat than it does to produce 1kg of plant protein.

So, even in that case, there would be a more ethical diet.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you're saying.

I don't care about a chicken getting killed, I like eating chicken. If somebody loves them so much and it bothers them so much that they are killed then it's understandable that they want to be vegetarians. Good for them.
    I'm saying if someone presents you a convincing moral argument to not eat meat, and you couldn't give a proper rebuttal, you still wouldn't change your actions and stop eating meat?

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying if someone presents you a convincing moral argument to not eat meat, and you couldn't give a proper rebuttal, you still wouldn't change your actions and stop eating meat?
    No. I like meat.

ReputationRep:
    No. I like meat.
    So my friend likes having slaves, I suppose you don't have an issue with that?

ReputationRep:
    So my friend likes having slaves, I suppose you don't have an issue with that?
    I have no interest in playing games like this with you.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, do you use or would you use any product tested on animals?

ReputationRep:
    No. I like meat.
    Well, that's much worse than not knowing why people choose to be vegetarians and still eating meat.

ReputationRep:
    Meat is the best thing ever. I cannot go more than a day without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    You cannot even think to know if they did the right thing. They had to think for you!
    At that time I was about 12

ReputationRep:
    No. I like meat.
    Is this really rational, though? Would you rather a politician, say, was so dead set on adopting a course of action regardless of the consequences, or would you rather he or she was willing to look at arguments against their position and change their mind if necessary? If the latter, then is it not logical to hold yourself to the same standards as you would anybody else? I understand that people are perfectly free not to follow logic, but it still seems alien to me not to use logic in every aspect of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    At that time I was about 12
    But a long time has passed since then, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    Is this really rational, though? Would you rather a politician, say, was so dead set on adopting a course of action regardless of the consequences, or would you rather he or she was willing to look at arguments against their position and change their mind if necessary? If the latter, then is it not logical to hold yourself to the same standards as you would anybody else? I understand that people are perfectly free not to follow logic, but it still seems alien to me not to use logic in every aspect of life.
    Cool. It's not that deep though.

ReputationRep:
    English people really support vegetarian rights!

Its not easy getting protein if you are a vegetarian, my aunt is veggie and I stayed with her for 2 months, I got weak

ReputationRep:
    Cool. It's not that deep though.
    Well, that's a complete non sequitur if I ever saw one!

Okay. Even though I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedishRedhead)
    English people really support vegetarian rights!

Its not easy getting protein if you are a vegetarian, my aunt is veggie and I stayed with her for 2 months, I got weak
    The problem with becoming a vegetarian is iron deficiency, not protein, which you can provide in your diet if you have enough variety of vegetables a day. Also, the other problem is that the iron in vegetables is not well absorbed by the body for which I tend to take supplements. Cereals also provide enough of your daily iron requirement.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.