Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Computer Science vs Economics vs Engineering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icedark_knight)
    lol... you realize you posted this on the engineering/technology forum? these guys are all biased... you'll get different answers if you post it in the economics forum... engineering is a pretty poor degree... not really that competitive and has average job prospects... I would advise economics, especially if you enjoy it...

Economics is a pretty intellectual subject... Loads of maths and essays/constructing arguments/different viewpoints for everything... You have to understand theories really well... great deal of understanding... Go for it!
    Why even mention maths as a positive for economics when engineering is also part of the discussion? Engineering has far more maths than economics. Economics is the study of theories based on IDEAL assumptions (can't achieve in real world) so it's just pointless guessing and predicting really. If you think you'll enjoy learning about theories which may seem unintuitive, then go for it. The theories used in engineering are much more enjoyable and intuitive unlike in economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Nothing in particular. STEP papers. Just for fun, though. None of my university offers require STEP. Oxford wants the PAT though, so a bit of that too.
    I was also messing around with also sorts of maths. It's good fun on a dull afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    Well doesn't that even make life easier then, which means the job is opened to people without maths knowledge then, so with a few years of experience anyone from any type of degree could do the so called economist job you're talking about?

Anyway I don't wanna change subject of the original post, goodluck OP

Posted from TSR Mobile excuse my typos
    Finance job =/= Economist.

'Economist' refers to government, civil service, regulation, think-tanks, statistician etc related roles in which case you need an Economics degree preferably a Masters.

Financial services is not the above.

So many morons on this site associate finance with being an economist's job or it being the only thing they could do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie_H)
    My Dad is an economist at a bank, but he has a degree in engineering.
    lol no he isn't. he's a banker or some other financial title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This thread is basically the depiction of 'headless chickens' running around with no aim, just a bunch of people throwing crap at each other with literally 0 experience of graduate jobs/recruitment/the degrees they are debating about to back any of it up.

TSR in a nutshell.

Boy_wonder is right, you need to have a professional degree in (i.e. a Masters in most cases) Economics to actually become a practicing Economist. Likewise, salary figures are dependent on the ROLE one goes for, not what some uni statistics website says.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Finance job =/= Economist.

'Economist' refers to government, civil service, regulation, think-tanks, statistician etc related roles in which case you need an Economics degree preferably a Masters.

Financial services is not the above.

So many morons on this site associate finance with being an economist's job or it being the only thing they could do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so you are saying only people with economics degree can get those jobs.... LOL

and you are the one calling someone a moron
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

No, he's saying to become an ECONOMIST you need an ECONOMICS degree.

Investment bankers, traders, investment managers etc, are not Economists - most respectable degree holders can break in to those fields with the right profile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    No, he's saying to become an ECONOMIST you need an ECONOMICS degree.

Investment bankers, traders, investment managers etc, are not Economists - most respectable degree holders can break in to those fields with the right profile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No its easy to become an economist if you have an economics degree, people go into careers they dont have degree's in all the time, economics is not exception.

most respectable degree holders can break in to those fields with the right profile.
    which is basically what im saying

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all of you for your help. I have decided to go for economics and then if I don't like and still not happy it I will get ready to likely change to computer science. as I will be able to enter into year 1 computer science next year. Going to Loughborough university and do not know which jobs I can get if I do like to subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oskar2000)
    Thank you all of you for your help. I have decided to go for economics and then if I don't like and still not happy it I will get ready to likely change to computer science. as I will be able to enter into year 1 computer science next year. Going to Loughborough university and do not know which jobs I can get if I do like to subject.
    Good plan. Not being sarcastic by the way haha, it seems like a nice way to ensure you pick the course best suited to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    lol no he isn't. he's a banker or some other financial title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! Economist =/= Banker!!! An engineer cannot just turn into an economist one morning...

P.S. I think you've made the right decision OP - economics is very well respected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can already tell if computer science is for you? I was thinking of doing it and after watching various videos and lots of research I knew it wasn't for me and am doing accounting and finance instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Surely you can already tell if computer science is for you? I was thinking of doing it and after watching various videos and lots of research I knew it wasn't for me and am doing accounting and finance instead.
    I am not certain on it , since computer science has some positives (perks?) and is a balance of engineering and economics but because if lack of actual experience I do not know . What made you sure computer science was not for you ?

ReputationRep:
    I am not certain on it , since computer science has some positives (perks?) and is a balance of engineering and economics but because if lack of actual experience I do not know . What made you sure computer science was not for you ?
    Study Economics at undergraduate and try a few CompSci modules at university. If you like it, carry on with Economics and then take a Computer Science conversion course after you've graduated with Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    Study Economics at undergraduate and try a few CompSci modules at university. If you like it, carry on with Economics and then take a Computer Science conversion course after you've graduated with Economics.
    Are you talking about a masters or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrionMusicNet)
    Are you talking about a masters or something else?
    Yeah it's a Masters, but for those who haven't studied the subject at undergrad.
    I was looking at this one for example:

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/degrees/msc_computer_science/

It specifies it's for those who are non comp sci grads

I've seen it referred to as a "Computer Science conversion" although I should have just called it Masters in the post above :P

ReputationRep:
    I just don't think the whole coding thing is for me and It doesn't seem like I'll pick it up very quickly, it seems like there is a lot of memorisation involved. Whereas Accounting and Finance and economics are the perfect balance of humanities and maths. Yeah computer science is probably the most complete degree you get these days and If I'm honest I still consider doing it but I just think I'd do better at Accounting and finance. it's hard to decide I know what you mean

ReputationRep:
    I'm just gonna assume your abilities is what's limiting you to pick economics, which is fine. but If I someone who was capable to do economics, computer science or engineering, I definitely wouldn't pick economics. good luck though

ReputationRep:

You very much are a moron since you were previously trying to argue that an Economist = someone working in Finance, and even when refuted are still trying to uphold your claim.

You clearly have no idea what either career entails so you won't be getting into either regardless of your background.

No its easy to become an economist if you have an economics degree, people go into careers they dont have degree's in all the time, economics is not exception.

which is basically what im saying
    Look on the BofE, Civil Service, HM Treasury, IFS etc...at the Economist-type careers. All require a degree (preferable a Masters) in Economics.

Again another TSRian who's never had any experience of the job market whatsoever yet wants to preach on here like it's gospel.

ReputationRep:
    Would like to ask how much of computer science is programming/and or directly related to computers and how much of it is logical/maths ?

And does it give you options to go into another degree(say after year 1) or even after , to another career ?

And how much easier is it in general than engineering (say like maths difficulty and contact hours and study hours etc ?Thank you all as I am still unsure )

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.