Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Business Studies F297 2016 - VGL Case Study watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordandakota)
    How would you go about using ratio's in an essay? I know how to calculate some but I'm not sure how to talk about them??
    Here's an example:

The result of the creditor days calculation shows that it takes nearly a year (304.17 days/ 305 days) for VGL to pay off what they owe to creditors. This means that they can retain those finances in the business for longer and possibly improves cash flow. However suppliers may not appreciate having to wait that long (Unless stipulated in their contracts) and so could have an effect on their future possibilities of obtaining credit or discounts. If VGL had to retain some commodity stock that year, they may have had to delay some payments - however this year is a slight improvement on last year, whilst not a large difference which suggests that this is the usual duration for paying creditors.

That paragraph was awarded L4.

ReputationRep:
    This is literally the difference between uni 2016 or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShaminiPamini)
    lol exactly, but then it is a synoptic paper and so we should include stuff like the motivational theories ... but it really confuses me because there is so much that we could include!!
    (Original post by Lewis7_)
    Yea, i'm worried that I haven't really revised the business knowledge part of the course, just the case study and everything VGL, but I think (hope) that'll be enough..
    I think within your application and evaluative paragraphs your knowledge automatically comes out, if that makes sense? For example, when mentioning the motivation theorists, i think stating which ones agree with your statement and which ones don't is enough; To reduce contamination VGL could implement a performance bonus.... Taylor and Mcrgegors Theory X approach = money is key motivator but Herzberg = money is a hygiene factor and will not make employees work any harder.

This is just an example of how much Knowledge i think you will need, not a full answer haha

ReputationRep:
    The brother nawaz, check your email please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Passc3c4)
    This is literally the difference between uni 2016 or not
    Crack on with revising then pal! We are all in the same boat with trying to revise to get a good grade to get into uni, you can't expect others to do all the work for you

ReputationRep:
    Here's an example:

The result of the creditor days calculation shows that it takes nearly a year (304.17 days/ 305 days) for VGL to pay off what they owe to creditors. This means that they can retain those finances in the business for longer and possibly improves cash flow. However suppliers may not appreciate having to wait that long (Unless stipulated in their contracts) and so could have an effect on their future possibilities of obtaining credit or discounts. If VGL had to retain some commodity stock that year, they may have had to delay some payments - however this year is a slight improvement on last year, whilst not a large difference which suggests that this is the usual duration for paying creditors.

That paragraph was awarded L4.
    See! how much knowledge is in there? I feel that if we just applied the case all year and learnt the bare minimal in knowledge i would be in a much better position now. instead we spent weeks on topics nothing to do with VGL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GFEFC1)
    See! how much knowledge is in there? I feel that if we just applied the case all year and learnt the bare minimal in knowledge i would be in a much better position now. instead we spent weeks on topics nothing to do with VGL.
    Exactly, well just stating knowledge without application won't get you past L1... L1 is just for theory

Theory, Application, Implications, Evaluation

(L1,2,3 and 4)

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, well just stating knowledge without application won't get you past L1... L1 is just for theory

Theory, Application, Implications, Evaluation

(L1,2,3 and 4)
    yeah exactly, what did you get for return on equity? i got 2.9% and 9.79% but once again this is my own calculation as this time they have just decided to leave it out of the pack.

ReputationRep:
    yeah exactly, what did you get for return on equity? i got 2.9% and 9.79% but once again this is my own calculation as this time they have just decided to leave it out of the pack.
    Yup, I got the same except I rounded 9.79% to 9.80%

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I got the same except I rounded 9.79% to 9.80%
    Haha cheers man.

ReputationRep:
    One last question before i go revise haha, i achieved an overall B last year however, on my business results sheet it said Uniform Marked Grades. is this the same as UMS or is this my raw mark?

ReputationRep:
    One last question before i go revise haha, i achieved an overall B last year however, on my business results sheet it said Uniform Marked Grades. is this the same as UMS or is this my raw mark?
    Urrrrm, I'm guessing its UMS as it says Uniformed Marked?? Don't take my word for it though..

ReputationRep:
    Urrrrm, I'm guessing its UMS as it says Uniformed Marked?? Don't take my word for it though..
    Cheers, it just seems ridiculous how i only need 100 UMS from these two exams coming up to get a C...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Muntiha and Rosie, please check your emails!

ReputationRep:
    You're not allowed to share it with people outside of your school as you could be fined. I'll post topic areas that could come up though (not the full question)

It's highly expected that Q1a will be Time Series Analysis, although it could potentially be payback or ARR as well as liquidity, activity and profitability ratios.

Q1b will always relate to Q1a - so it could be assessing Time Series Analysis, changes in the economy, strategies to achieve objectives.

Other questions could be to do with diversification, SWOT analysis, stakeholder groups or health and safety legislation.

Diversification is likely to be the 23 mark question but there are other possible questions.

I hope this helps! I'm sorry that I can't post the actual questions :/

is there anyway you can post them in here please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccamarie_98)
    You're not allowed to share it with people outside of your school as you could be fined. I'll post topic areas that could come up though (not the full question)

It's highly expected that Q1a will be Time Series Analysis, although it could potentially be payback or ARR as well as liquidity, activity and profitability ratios.

Q1b will always relate to Q1a - so it could be assessing Time Series Analysis, changes in the economy, strategies to achieve objectives.

Other questions could be to do with diversification, SWOT analysis, stakeholder groups or health and safety legislation.

Diversification is likely to be the 23 mark question but there are other possible questions.

I hope this helps! I'm sorry that I can't post the actual questions :/
    Hi, how would you go about answering a SWOT question?

ReputationRep:
    Hey hope everyone's revision is going well what do you think the maths question will be on ? We have made a prediction of time series and analysis and decision trees? What does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Examsarestress)
    Hey hope everyone's revision is going well what do you think the maths question will be on ? We have made a prediction of time series and analysis and decision trees? What does everyone else think?
    Not a chance decision trees!

ReputationRep:
    It'll either be ratios or TSA - As TSA has apparently not came up before, its quite likely it will.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a no to decision trees?
    what do you think then?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.