Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Paulwyn)
    Fallout 4 inspired cocktails, oh yes! http://www.outsidexbox.com/articles/...ious-non-toxic
    And it's probably a real cocktail anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The games great, I just really need a new GPU Hoping to upgrade to a 960 soon, how's the performance with it? If anyone here knows.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    The games great, I just really need a new GPU Hoping to upgrade to a 960 soon, how's the performance with it? If anyone here knows.
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-benc...ll-resolutions
    can nearly manage 1080p60 when maxed out

What needs considering though is going to be less what it can do with the base game, more how demanding the mods will be since it isn't exactly the greatest looking game, after all, it is Bethesda, by default.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-benc...ll-resolutions
    can nearly manage 1080p60 when maxed out

What needs considering though is going to be less what it can do with the base game, more how demanding the mods will be since it isn't exactly the greatest looking game, after all, it is Bethesda, by default.
    Nice Thank you. To be honest with you though, i quite like the way it's looking, I think it's a pretty good looking game, I don't understand all the hate. I understand your point though, I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to come out of the modding community.

ReputationRep:
    New Fallout player here.

Fallout 4 is the first i've played and quite frankly i'm really impressed with it.
    Never played this type of game before but i've always really wanted to so i'm glad i went with the hype

Overall i felt the game started too slowly and i was about to give up on it until it got going and i realised just how much control the player has.
    I love how there's no immediate urgency in the main quest and you can spend your time in your settlement, or exploring the map.

I'm obsessed with side quests and i'm basically completing whatever i can, maxing out my carrying capacity and then dumping it all back at base.
    Speaking of base, where have people chosen to have theirs?
    I'm a bit of a newbie so i just stuck with the Red Rocket place.

I think my favourite thing about this game (which i don't think was in previous iterations) is that you can continuously level up with no cap. I think that's really important because it rewards players for playing longer and it means that eventually you can max out. It also means that if you choose the "wrong" character build, you can make up for it.
    Personally, i chose a perception and intelligence based sniping build which levels up really quickly.
    However seeing how much i love the settlement management, i'm a little gutted i started with low charisma. However it doesn't matter because with no cap you can just level it up and hey presto!

Great game, still got a long way to go but it's looking good. Nowhere near as buggy as i anticipated either!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    New Fallout player here.

Fallout 4 is the first i've played and quite frankly i'm really impressed with it.
    Never played this type of game before but i've always really wanted to so i'm glad i went with the hype

Overall i felt the game started too slowly and i was about to give up on it until it got going and i realised just how much control the player has.
    I love how there's no immediate urgency in the main quest and you can spend your time in your settlement, or exploring the map.

I'm obsessed with side quests and i'm basically completing whatever i can, maxing out my carrying capacity and then dumping it all back at base.
    Speaking of base, where have people chosen to have theirs?
    I'm a bit of a newbie so i just stuck with the Red Rocket place.

I think my favourite thing about this game (which i don't think was in previous iterations) is that you can continuously level up with no cap. I think that's really important because it rewards players for playing longer and it means that eventually you can max out. It also means that if you choose the "wrong" character build, you can make up for it.
    Personally, i chose a perception and intelligence based sniping build which levels up really quickly.
    However seeing how much i love the settlement management, i'm a little gutted i started with low charisma. However it doesn't matter because with no cap you can just level it up and hey presto!

Great game, still got a long way to go but it's looking good. Nowhere near as buggy as i anticipated either!!
    I chose Sanctuary although a fair few choose Red Rocket because it doesn't become populated so you don't have to deal with the defensive mini events.

You should play Fallout New Vegas, it's stellar, best game in the series imo.

How come you chose intelligence for Sniping? I'd have chosen perception and agility to remain undetected, but fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    I chose Sanctuary although a fair few choose Red Rocket because it doesn't become populated so you don't have to deal with the defensive mini events.

You should play Fallout New Vegas, it's stellar, best game in the series imo.

How come you chose intelligence for Sniping? I'd have chosen perception and agility to remain undetected, but fair enough
    Oh so at least i didn't choose a poor place

I just place massive metal walls all the way around the perimeter leaving only an entrance with turrets guarding.
    Plently of room for farming which is great

I did go with agility a little but invested more in perception (for VATS) and intelligence for levelling.
    before i started i knew that intelligence was really good early on for levelling so i thought that regardless of your build it would be a helpful stat to have high.
    the quick levelling compensated for the lower agility. i'm level 20 and now i've more than made up for it.
    trying to build charisma a little now because like i said i enjoy the settlements

i love my guns though.
    got a combat shotgun, sniper rifle, laser gun (given by Danse) and a silenced pistol with a tracker scope.
    All are maxed out build wise but the pistol has to be my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Oh so at least i didn't choose a poor place

I just place massive metal walls all the way around the perimeter leaving only an entrance with turrets guarding.
    Plently of room for farming which is great

I did go with agility a little but invested more in perception (for VATS) and intelligence for levelling.
    before i started i knew that intelligence was really good early on for levelling so i thought that regardless of your build it would be a helpful stat to have high.
    the quick levelling compensated for the lower agility. i'm level 20 and now i've more than made up for it.
    trying to build charisma a little now because like i said i enjoy the settlements

i love my guns though.
    got a combat shotgun, sniper rifle, laser gun (given by Danse) and a silenced pistol with a tracker scope.
    All of them are good I would say (I've discovered a fair few but probably nowhere near all of them) bar Tenpines Bluff, it's right next to a pack of respawning feral ghouls

Yeah I did that too and then put a few turrets in front of my makeshift skyscraper I didn't think I'd like Settlement building but it's brilliant, it's like Minecraft but less exhausting, they did an excellent job with all that.

Ahh right, fair enough, I went with agility and strength, wanted to try the melee weapons since Bethesda were banging on about how viable they are and tbh they are pretty sick, I like it when the heads explode after a critical hit Dat sounds a bit creepy but meh

Oh yeah, the Double Barrell shotgun is amazing tuned, can't even say how many times it's helped me out against overlevelled Super Mutants. Btw, have you been in the Boston Common yet? I won't spoil anything, just asking as it's a pretty memorable scene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i love my guns though.
    Keep a look out for the legendary weapons. I very fortunately stumbled across a Never Ending hunting rifle modded it to a .50 cal. So now my main weapon is a maxed out Gun Nut lvl 4 .50 cal with 600 rounds in the clip. Can't beat it. The Righteous Authority that Danse gives you stayed with me all game still have it at level 45.

Top tip for sniping, get the Tactical Hub (or something like that) for the power armor helmet. It lights up all living target making them far easier to see and don't use vats because you will be more accurate without it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Keep a look out for the legendary weapons. I very fortunately stumbled across a Never Ending hunting rifle modded it to a .50 cal. So now my main weapon is a maxed out Gun Nut lvl 4 .50 cal with 600 rounds in the clip. Can't beat it. The Righteous Authority that Danse gives you stayed with me all game still have it at level 45.

Top tip for sniping, get the Tactical Hub (or something like that) for the power armor helmet. It lights up all living target making them far easier to see and don't use vats because you will be more accurate without it.
    Was really annoying for me with the legendary equipment, don't get any decent armours, and first time trying to do institute final mission I managed to get as assassins gatling laser, and gatling lasers are OP enough to begin with. Then I forgot to pay attention to my health and my power armour chest was long broken so no more auto stims.

Tbh, I don't actually like the helmet mod you mentioned because it's it's possible to distinguish friend from foe, hopefully there will be a mod that comes out soon to change that. No compass markers for friendly is annoying enough to begin with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Are those the weapons with the little star next to the name?
    If so, my pistol is one of those
    I think it doubles the critical meter refill when fired, which is really useful for stealth takeouts on a high HP enemy
    I tend not to use VATS as much now because most of my weapons have scopes with solid accuracy.

Yeah I noticed that when I was tweaking my power armour, I just didn't have the relevant trait yet :/
    In all honesty, I seldom use power armour because I don't feel like I need it. I left the difficulty on normal because I'm new to the game but I've only died a few times (all as a result of accidentally stealing or being one-shotted by an enemy with power armour...).

I have like 20 fusion cores chilling in my workshop though so I guess I'd use power armour for some of the tougher missions. Thinking about using it for something to do with storming a castle for the minutemen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    All of them are good I would say (I've discovered a fair few but probably nowhere near all of them) bar Tenpines Bluff, it's right next to a pack of respawning feral ghouls

Yeah I did that too and then put a few turrets in front of my makeshift skyscraper I didn't think I'd like Settlement building but it's brilliant, it's like Minecraft but less exhausting, they did an excellent job with all that.

Ahh right, fair enough, I went with agility and strength, wanted to try the melee weapons since Bethesda were banging on about how viable they are and tbh they are pretty sick, I like it when the heads explode after a critical hit Dat sounds a bit creepy but meh

Oh yeah, the Double Barrell shotgun is amazing tuned, can't even say how many times it's helped me out against overlevelled Super Mutants. Btw, have you been in the Boston Common yet? I won't spoil anything, just asking as it's a pretty memorable scene.
    Is it wrong that I've just ignored all the other settlements except my base?
    They could be all dead for all I know

Yeah it started off a little weird when I didn't know what the hell I was doing but once I gathered resources and got to grips with things, it all turned out to be a lot of fun!

I've never cared much for melee in general and since I was new to the games I thought I'd just keep my distance.
    Much easier to calmly pick off ghouls from a distance as they run towards you than having to fight close quarters!

I don't have the double barrel - it's a combat shotgun so it has like an upgraded stock of 12 at the moment. I prefer it because it's unlikely I'll need to use more than 12 shots at once....so far anyway

No I haven't - I've done a load of side quests, particularly a lot of BoS ones.
    The farthest I've gotten to is Diamond City in the main quest.
    Supposed to do a few things like rescue Nick Valentine which I'll be doing next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Was really annoying for me with the legendary equipment, don't get any decent armours, and first time trying to do institute final mission I managed to get as assassins gatling laser, and gatling lasers are OP enough to begin with. Then I forgot to pay attention to my health and my power armour chest was long broken so no more auto stims.

Tbh, I don't actually like the helmet mod you mentioned because it's it's possible to distinguish friend from foe, hopefully there will be a mod that comes out soon to change that. No compass markers for friendly is annoying enough to begin with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think doing a lot of exploring helps when trying to find legendary equipment. I had so much of it I sell it.

I know what you mean with the targeting HUD, it would be so much better if friendlies showed green. But when exploring it is really useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Are those the weapons with the little star next to the name?
    If so, my pistol is one of those
    I think it doubles the critical meter refill when fired, which is really useful for stealth takeouts on a high HP enemy
    I tend not to use VATS as much now because most of my weapons have scopes with solid accuracy.

Yeah I noticed that when I was tweaking my power armour, I just didn't have the relevant trait yet :/
    In all honesty, I seldom use power armour because I don't feel like I need it. I left the difficulty on normal because I'm new to the game but I've only died a few times (all as a result of accidentally stealing or being one-shotted by an enemy with power armour...).

I have like 20 fusion cores chilling in my workshop though so I guess I'd use power armour for some of the tougher missions. Thinking about using it for something to do with storming a castle for the minutemen?
    Yeah the ones with the stars.

I didn't use the power armour until I joined the BoS and they gave me a set. So I felt it was my duty to look the part and I haven't taken it off since. The jet pack is really useful for exploring and the no fall damage makes climbing building a lot easier when you need get down. I love my power armor now that I have 3 legnedary pieces, I am yet to find the Torso and arms you the T-60.

You don't burn through fusion cores that fast even when using the jet pack. I have managed to stick around the 35 mark for about a long time. And wearing it allows you to carry even more stuff, which really helps when you are a kleptomaniac.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So I've been through quite a few of the old US military bunkers. They always seem to be filled with Synths. Did they wipe out the inhabitants or something?

ReputationRep:
    I've been really bored of videogames recently; in fact this past entire year or two I've really only delved in to one game (Metal Gear Solid 5) properly, I have barely finished any of the games I bought for my Xbox One too..

But man oh man, Fallout 4 brought it all back for me. I remember being super excited for Fallout 3 way back when the teaser trailer was released then. It ended up being possibly my favourite game ever.

Since June, my girlfriend & I have both been regularly checking for news, I bought Fallout 3 & New Vegas for her during the build-up, so she could see how awesome they are - she loved 'em. (I would have been sad if she didn't)

On-topic for FO4.. Well I've already sunk in over 70 hours. Reached level 53 plus a level 18 female character; my GF can't play at home as she doesn't have a decent PC or new-gen console, but she spent about 4 hours with the new character creator and tried it out on mine for a bit.

I absolutely adore this game; the settlements! The engaging storyline; it's just fantastic.

This was worth my 7/8 years of eager waiting, thank you Bethesda. This may end up swallowing countless hours of my life. And I'm okay with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So I've been through quite a few of the old US military bunkers. They always seem to be filled with Synths. Did they wipe out the inhabitants or something?
    They are there for the same reason you are, to steal all the things.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They are there for the same reason you are, to steal all the things.
    Well, and that they can't be empty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I was actually surprised that you inject stims given that for Australia that had to be cut from 3 and most drugs Renamed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do the minutemen help out settlements ever end. ****ing Finch Farm seems to get attacked everyday even though they protected by walls and greeting party of 10 rocket turrets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.