Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sanitary items as luxuries watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Why are we 'lucky' then? Clean water is a necessity but I fail to understand how it would not be considered a luxury to those who don't have access to it?
    In economic terms a luxury good is something that is not necessary for living, clean water is a necessity so not a luxury. Why is that too hard to understand? You cannot define something as a luxury if you cannot live without it, that's just absurd and has no logical reasoning behind it. We're lucky because we're not dying from drinking dirty water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    It doesn't matter, sanitary products are not a luxury by any means. Its offensive to say otherwise. They shouldn't be taxed at all. The contraceptive pill and condoms are free of charge on the NHS..
    Let's assume they are necessity; that shows that they shouldn't be classed as luxury goods. Why should they be exempt from taxation? The tax doesn't prevent people from buying them, since they're dirt-cheap in the first place. Fuel is a necessity for many people, and that's taxed.

Of course you can't see it, because it doesn't concern you.
    Don't be a crybaby just because someone disagrees with you.

ReputationRep:
    There are taxes on certain items. I think what really stirred up people is that menstrual products were categorized as "non essential" or "luxury" whereas other things like certain food or items, are not taxed because they're thought of as more "essential." The argument, however, is that things like tampons are not something women can just "choose" to not buy, they need them - about as much as other types of tax-exempt items

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    OMG Anon you posted without "^.^" or "Galileo" or "<3"

:eek4:

r u ok?
    :rofl:

XD We have to abandon the emoticons when we're debating. O_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    That's because it's cheaper for the Government to give people free contraception (as an incentive) instead of having to give benefits, abortions and having to pay for unwanted babies.
    Isn't it better to have free sanitary products too as an incentive then? It would obviously be cheaper than giving benefits and abortions
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Isn't it better to have free sanitary products too as an incentive then? It would obviously be cheaper than giving benefits and abortions
    Inecentive in which way?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Who knew tampons could invoke such fiery passions in people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Let's assume they are necessity; that shows that they shouldn't be classed as luxury goods. Why should they be exempt from taxation? The tax doesn't prevent people from buying them, since they're dirt-cheap in the first place. Fuel is a necessity for many people, and that's taxed.

Don't be a crybaby just because someone disagrees with you.
    Tampons and pads are dirt cheap? I'd love for you to have all daughters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    In economic terms a luxury good is something that is not necessary for living, clean water is a necessity so not a luxury. Why is that too hard to understand? You cannot define something as a luxury if you cannot live without it, that's just absurd and has no logical reasoning behind it. We're lucky because we're not dying from drinking dirty water.
    Well then I assume you agree with 'tampon tax' then? We pay a water bill don't we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Inecentive in which way?
    You said contraceptives are given free as an incentive as it's cheaper than unwanted babies. Why can't sanitary items be treated the same? I know it's nothing major, but it'd be one less thing to worry about right?

ReputationRep:
    You said contraceptives are given free as an incentive as it's cheaper than unwanted babies. Why can't sanitary items be treated the same? I know it's nothing major, but it'd be one less thing to worry about right?
    Because tampons dont prevent pregnancies?

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yes it is stupid that they are taxed.

But so are a lot of thing. Like how are clothes a luxury?
    Woah. Don't open that can of worms.

(If pressed on it strongly enough, the government would probably still tax clothes but limit it to designer clothing or clothing from expensive brands -- and then people will cry about that being discrimination against those with expensive tastes or some crap of that sort. )

ReputationRep:
    Well then I assume you agree with 'tampon tax' then? We pay a water bill don't we?
    Being against a tampon tax is not the same as saying we should be provided with free tampons. Do we get taxed on our water bill transactions (real question)?

ReputationRep:
    You're conflating paying a market-determined price for a product with the government adding an additional tax onto that market-determined price. Water does not come under the latter. Tampons currently come under the latter. Many things that currently belong to the latter group are objectively not essential.

And therein lies the problem with a 'tampon tax'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Because tampons dont prevent pregnancies?
    Yeah, but when a female goes to the clinic for a check up or whatever, they give contraceptives and STD kits for free, why not throw in some pads/tampons too? It won't hurt

I don't know about other girls, but when I was around 16/17 I got a package in the post from lil lets or whatever it's called. They gave lots of information about periods and the different forms of sanitary products I could use. (by this time, I had already started my period) it included pads & tampons and it actually came in pretty handy

ReputationRep:
    Tampons being taxed? TIME TO LEAVE THE EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Tampons being taxed? TIME TO LEAVE THE EU

Posted from TSR Mobile

They been taxed for decades,where have you been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

They been taxed for decades,where have you been?
    It is because of EU VAT rules which prevent tampons from being taxed at a lower rate or not being taxed at all.

ReputationRep:
    The argument is that they are considered a 'luxury' therefore suggesting that they are not essential
    That's interesting but that doesnt change my opinion, I still class it as a luxury, just like many things...such as a bed, clothes, warmth etc...
    They are necessities but since not everyone in the world has access to them, I consider them a luxury.
    Are you saying what you're saying because of the video below?

Tbf....I know this is an unpopular opinion but they as technically they are a luxury. My mum has told me in India in her days and definitely before her time they had to use cloth then washed and re-used...:afraid:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In poverty stricken countries women of course still have periods and I'm pretty sure they don't have the 'luxury' of sanitary items.That being said, no I don't think they should be taxed(from a moral standpoint) but on the argument of it being a luxury, I would say yes it is.
    Oh you're from India. So you're a first generation British citizen? This forum is way too cool. We have so many nationalities being represented. Way too cool!

ReputationRep:
    Tampons and pads are dirt cheap? I'd love for you to have all daughters
    On average, how many tampons and/or pads do you use per month?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.