5.57%
    Other
    25.77%
    I dont know :')
    4.12%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Hi! Don't panic, you still have options
    You could apply to medicine courses with a foundation year (I think it's called A108). These are for people like yourself who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and therefore these generally have lower grade requirements- the typical offer for those courses is usually BBB-AAA Check out KCL's EMDP or Southampton's BM6 for a better idea because I don't think I explained it very well XD good luck!
    Hey, thanks. however i dont apply to any of the criteria.

ReputationRep:
    one more thing. Story story

As early year 2 Iremember my teacher telling me my work doesn’t make sense, year 3 it doesn’t makesense, year 4 it doesn’t make sense, until my mum decided to join me grouptutor session, but through year 5/6 they still told me my work doesn’t make sense,my mum stop it. Time went by Year 7/8/9 andI used to wonder why was everyone getting it and I don’t, Why was everyoneunderstanding I don’t. I used sit down and write each word one by one hopingand praying not to make a mistake but I did. I didn’t care anymore about myeducation, so I became loud, uncontrollable and distracting, but when I lookback, the time when I did get the work, I used to get my head down and stuck inpraying to finish before everyone else J.Year 10/11 It was gettingworse so my mum deciding to hire a personal tutor for me. The tutor noticedsomething strange in the way I was writing and told me about dyslexia thatshould get myself check. I told my mum about it she disagreed and said shouldnever talk about it again so I didn’t get checked. But my GCSEs came, revisingtook forever, I would spend 3 hours one pages trying to understand eachsentence, this led to sleepless nights even the night before the exam. I triedoh I tried because I wanted to do something great with my life and make my mumproud. In the exam hall I openedthe paper looking a the questions I read it once, read it twice read it threetimes read it four times, five, six, seven times, I gave up I get pick out thekey words and wrote down what I know. For my First biology paper I had 4 pages,thats 8 sides of questions with 10 mins to go! What was I supposed to do, I cameout crying. I received my results of 1A*1A 5Bs 2Cs I was disappointed because to the next grade I wanted to go forMedicine but with these grades honestly no chance and most my grades where2/3/4 mmarks. Year 12 came till enough wasenough, behind my mothers back I got myself tested, explaining to the “checker”how it took forever for me to understand the question. She tested for slowprocessing, SHOCKER I am dyslexic, below average, I didn’t want to believe itso I asked how close am I to average, she said I was at the bottom of belowaverage and that I am entitled to 25% extra time. I cried because I knew thatif I had the support and that extra time I would have done a whole lot better,imagine gaining support from that year 2. I said what’s in the past is in thepast. But even now, I haven’t received any kind of support with my dyslexia,can anyone help me improve or whatever?My question ultimately is, canthis be used as extenuating circumstances for my application for medicine forthe poor performance in GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamflorence)
    one more thing. Story story

As early year 2 Iremember my teacher telling me my work doesn’t make sense, year 3 it doesn’t makesense, year 4 it doesn’t make sense, until my mum decided to join me grouptutor session, but through year 5/6 they still told me my work doesn’t make sense,my mum stop it. Time went by Year 7/8/9 andI used to wonder why was everyone getting it and I don’t, Why was everyoneunderstanding I don’t. I used sit down and write each word one by one hopingand praying not to make a mistake but I did. I didn’t care anymore about myeducation, so I became loud, uncontrollable and distracting, but when I lookback, the time when I did get the work, I used to get my head down and stuck inpraying to finish before everyone else J.Year 10/11 It was gettingworse so my mum deciding to hire a personal tutor for me. The tutor noticedsomething strange in the way I was writing and told me about dyslexia thatshould get myself check. I told my mum about it she disagreed and said shouldnever talk about it again so I didn’t get checked. But my GCSEs came, revisingtook forever, I would spend 3 hours one pages trying to understand eachsentence, this led to sleepless nights even the night before the exam. I triedoh I tried because I wanted to do something great with my life and make my mumproud. In the exam hall I openedthe paper looking a the questions I read it once, read it twice read it threetimes read it four times, five, six, seven times, I gave up I get pick out thekey words and wrote down what I know. For my First biology paper I had 4 pages,thats 8 sides of questions with 10 mins to go! What was I supposed to do, I cameout crying. I received my results of 1A*1A 5Bs 2Cs I was disappointed because to the next grade I wanted to go forMedicine but with these grades honestly no chance and most my grades where2/3/4 mmarks. Year 12 came till enough wasenough, behind my mothers back I got myself tested, explaining to the “checker”how it took forever for me to understand the question. She tested for slowprocessing, SHOCKER I am dyslexic, below average, I didn’t want to believe itso I asked how close am I to average, she said I was at the bottom of belowaverage and that I am entitled to 25% extra time. I cried because I knew thatif I had the support and that extra time I would have done a whole lot better,imagine gaining support from that year 2. I said what’s in the past is in thepast. But even now, I haven’t received any kind of support with my dyslexia,can anyone help me improve or whatever?My question ultimately is, canthis be used as extenuating circumstances for my application for medicine forthe poor performance in GCSEs?
    It would not be sensible for us to guess whether this would qualify as extenuating circumstances. I would strongly advise you to contact admission tutors for all the universities you are considering to get their verdict.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I would like to know if I have a chance of getting into Edinburgh, Glasgow, Durham, or Cardiff or any good Medical schools with these things up my sleeve:
    IGCSE (I live in Spain): 8A*, 1A
    I am doing a EU Baccalaureate program and expect to get 9-10 average.
    Will also be doing A-lvl (although I'm applying based on my Baccalaureate scores- the A lvls are just a bonus because my school does a weird mix) English Lit, Spanish Lang, French and I'm doing A lvl Biology on my own (will this help my chances of getting in?)
    Will be doing Proficiency and DELF. (Am bilingual in Spanish and English + fluent in French)
    Volunteered as theatre assistant for a year and then went on to working 2 years as co-director with same theatre club. I was in the plays for 3 years prior to this. I have volunteered with my local food bank and have helped organize charity activities at my school.
    I have tutored kids in years 8, 9 and 10 this year several times a week.
    I have done 2 days shadowing a paeds doctor and 1 day at a fertility clinic, plus I will be doing 3 weeks work experience at a hospital this summer. I also hope to get some shadowing done this spring.
    Was student representative for my class for 3 years.
    Have 2 bronzes and a silver for UKMT (as if that was any help :' )

Any feedback is helpful! I am going mad checking all the universities out! Also, does anyone know why Cardiff suddenly rose to the top 5 in Medicine this past year? It seems fishy to me...
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by cristinacalvo)
    Hi!
    I would like to know if I have a chance of getting into Edinburgh, Glasgow, Durham, or Cardiff or any good Medical schools with these things up my sleeve:
    IGCSE (I live in Spain): 8A*, 1A (I am doing a EU Baccalaureate program and expect to get 9-10 average)
    Will also be doing A-lvl English Lit, Spanish Lang, French and I'm doing A lvl Biology on my own (will this help my chances of getting in?)
    Will be doing Proficiency and DELF. (Am bilingual in Spanish and English + fluent in French)
    Volunteered as theatre assistant for a year and then went on to working 2 years as co-director with same theatre club. I was in the plays for 3 years prior to this. I have volunteered with my local food bank and have helped organize charity activities at my school.
    I have tutored kids in years 8, 9 and 10 this year several times a week.
    I have done 2 days shadowing a paeds doctor and 1 day at a fertility clinic, plus I will be doing 3 weeks work experience at a hospital this summer. I also hope to get some shadowing done this spring.
    Was student representative for my class for 3 years.
    Have 2 bronzes and a silver for UKMT (as if that was any help :' )

Any feedback is helpful! I am going mad checking all the universities out! Also, does anyone know why Cardiff suddenly rose to the top 5 in Medicine this past year? It seems fishy to me...
    Firstly, rankings mean very little - all Medical Schools are good. Secondly, I'm afraid that pretty much all Medical Schools require A-Level Chemistry so you'll need that to get in via the 'normal' route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cristinacalvo)

Will also be doing A-lvl English Lit, Spanish Lang, French and I'm doing A lvl Biology on my own (will this help my chances of getting in?)
    Chemistry at A-level is essential i'm afriad and so your application will most likely be discarded at the first stage of the admissions process. Is there any way in which you can change your subjects?

ReputationRep:
    When will the booking for open days this summer and prospectuses be available for 2017 entry be available?
    I just want to have more info about 2017 entry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibevan)
    Chemistry at A-level is essential i'm afriad and so your application will most likely be discarded at the first stage of the admissions process. Is there any way in which you can change your subjects?
    I'm applying based on the Baccalaureate scores- the A lvls are a sort of seperate bonus. When I spoke to a Cambridge rep he said that doing the A lvl Bio would really look good on the application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Firstly, rankings mean very little - all Medical Schools are good. Secondly, I'm afraid that pretty much all Medical Schools require A-Level Chemistry so you'll need that to get in via the 'normal' route.
    I'm applying based on the Baccalaureate scores- the A lvls are a sort of seperate bonus. When I spoke to a Cambridge rep he said that doing the A lvl Bio would really look good on the application. Also, are there any schools you'd recommend though?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get any work experience placements WITHOUT any doctor connections? xD Man's struggling to write a CV atm lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sububzi)
    Did anyone get any work experience placements WITHOUT any doctor connections? xD Man's struggling to write a CV atm lool
    I feel the struggle
    Luckily some of my family and friends have managed to get me placements, or have told me that they have...

Try asking your friends to see if they have any contacts, and your school?

ReputationRep:
    This is incredibly disheartening haha, congratulations to everyone for the amazing results though! I just realised how slim my chances are of getting into med school now, I had such high hopes of going into UCL (I'm part of a Uni-Link programme and they did mention that "Uni-Link offers support and guidance throughout Year 12 and 13 so that students are better prepared to apply to UCL and other competitive universities." I don't know if that means I stand a good chance at getting into UCL?) Anyway, I got 6A's and 4B's for my GCSEs which is pretty rubbish compared to all the results I've seen on here. I got B's in Biology, Physics, English Literature and History. My predicted/target grades for AS are 4A's in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German. I haven't got any work experience that is directly relevant to being in a hospital environment but I did fundraise money for Great Ormands St. Hospital. I'm looking for work placements almost everywhere right now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violavenisis)
    I have, but I'm not sure whether or not my school would let me (since I am considering doing 4 full a levels- this isn't definite though).

Regarding the UKCAT and BMAT, when do most people take the UKCAT? I know that lots of people take it before applying (that way you have some kind of back-up to your applications), but how far in advance do people take it? I've been trying to find out and haven't really had any luck. What do you guys think?
    OMG sorry for the astronomically slow reply :P, kinda had my head in books for our mocks :'(. Anyway, yeah a lot of schools dont offer the EPQ simply because is isnt required. Unis prefer you to have your 4 As at AS than have AAAB and an A* EPQ, and im ngl its taking up more of my time than i thought it would .
    UKCAT is sat from July-early october ( but its best to do it before you start A2). Many people say start revising for your UKCAT after your exams, but personally, i dont see the harm in getting to grips with the layout now tbh (thats what im doing). Obvs dont dedicate your time to it wholly as ASs are more important atm but it cant help to look through, bc its not like your ordinary 'learn stuff then get tested on it' kind of test.
    With regards to the BMAT, just remember that its not compulsory and its only if you're applying to Oxbridge/UCL/Leeds/Imperial/Brighton ( and Lancaster? someone check for me ). The BMAT is sat in November time (so during your A2 year). Now the BMAT is quite different from the UKCAT in the sense that it is a lot more about scientific knowledge (Section 2 of the 3 sections). I PERSONALLY find BMAT past papers easier as im already doing Bio chem and maths ( plus mechanics really helps for the physicsy side of things), so that makes section 2 easier, and the other sections just agree with me more than the UKCAT. Dont be put off by Section 3, which is a short essay bc, they give you 5 (i think) choices of topics to discuss and plenty of time to plan , which you really must do to write a good essay. Interestingly, the unis get a copy of your BMAT essay when you go for the interviews, so don't write anything too strange XD.
    Also, dont expect to be getting as high a percentage in the BMAT as your GCSE/A levels. If you see a couple of questions in the exam that you dont know, dont fret, its really unlikely that your gonna get 90+% because the tests can be really hard. Sections 1+2 are scored from 1(low) to 9(high) and for Cambridge, im pretty sure a (cambridge worthy) good score is about 6.5 or above, so dont fret if you dont think that you did that well as that translates to about 75ish%
    On a side note, please dont believe people when they say that you cannot revise for these exams TRUST me you can definitely improve on your score. I hated Quantitative Reasoning (and still do XD) on the UKCAT, but practising defintitely allowed me to score more marks, just making yourself familiar with the nature of the questions you can expect counts as revision and can save you a couple of extra marks . But realistically it isnt revising int the sense that you can go from an E to an A* like in school because, at the end the day, these exams are designed to test your aptitude.

AGAIN sorry for the slow reply, but i hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicapplicant)
    I got 5A* 3A 1B, aiming for 4A's, what extracurriculars are you doing I have barely started
    sorry for the stupidly slow reply XD. So I do a lot of extra curricular activities but medicine dudes will be focusing on your clinical/healthcare experience. Volunteering is always a go-to option, just try and start it as soon as possible. Work experince ins SUPER hard to come by if you haven't got any relatives/friends in that field but unis understand that, and don't expect people to have had a week shadowing a paediatric plastic surgeon at Great Ormond Street Hosptial. Its my opinion that if you have volunteering that that will suffice (if you cannot get work experience). REMEMBER the really important thing is what you LEARN from the experience, no matter how small, if you can say how it changed your or 'solidified that medicine was right for you' (cheesy, i know) then its worth more than someone, who's done loads of stuff but doesn't have any poignant memories of experiences, so definitely take a notebook with you if (hopefully when ) you start getting any form of work experience.
    I tend to ramble, so in a nutshell, find some form of work experience, and, when the interviews come, be prepared to talk about specific examples and how they've affected you, or commonly, how you've affected the life of someone else :')

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, glad to find this thread!

Current stats:
    GCSEs: 10A*s and 3As
    Probably applying to: UCL, Kings, Bristol

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys! I see a lot of you guys are doing A levels.🙂 I am currently in my first year of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program and my subjects are:

Higher Level~: Biology, English Literature and Business Management
    Standard Level~: Spanish, Mathematics and Chemistry

I am an EU student.
    The universities I am looking at are:
    1. Durham (love the course structure)
    2. Newcastle (I'll end up there through Durham anyway)
    3. King's College London
    4. St. George's (love the small school feel)

I am aiming for 37 - 39 points and 6 in Biology, chemistry and English, and 7 in Math. I'm not able to do HL Chemistry at the moment because my school doesn't offer it. I am trying to do A Level Chemistry on my own as my school is also a Cambridge school😕 but I don't know if I'll be able to handle the work load! Also I'll be doing the UKCAT in the summer. As for work experience and extra curricular activities I don't have to worry too much because of CAS, well I think🤔. Are my subject choices good to apply to these universities and if I do get those grades will it be feasible to apply?😖

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic997)
    As for work experience and extra curricular activities I don't have to worry too much because of CAS, well I think🤔. Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's CAS if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Work experience at a hospice for 8 months is enough alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibevan)
    What's CAS if you don't mind me asking?
    CAS is a program in the IBDP where students complete activities based on the three strands (Creativity, Action, Service). So like doing dancing for three months count as creativity, going to the gym for a year counts as action and volunteering at a home for the elderly counts as service. At the end of your CAS activities you have to reflect through the completion of paperwork on how it has made you a better person and citizen in your community. That about sums it up 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemauricien)
    Does anyone know if Work experience at a hospice for 8 months is enough alone?
    I think you should include some other extra curricular activities to show that you are an all round person. So include some hobbies and so on. But on the work experience side I think that is quite good! Just try to make sure that you have some learning outcomes from it. It's not about quantity but quality. 🙂

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.