Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with the death penalty? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you agree with the death Penalty?
    #YES
    40.49%
    NEVER!
    59.51%

ReputationRep:
    Are those opposing it willing to take financial responsibility of holding these convicts (murders, rapists etc...) in prisons and relieving those who support it of any financial burden to take care of these people??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saeed97)
    Are those opposing it willing to take financial responsibility of holding these convicts (murders, rapists etc...) in prisons and relieving those who support it of any financial burden to take care of these people??
    Do you not believe we should invest money in our criminal system?

ReputationRep:
    in all honesty, if what goes on in some of these jails is true - isnt death penalty the more merciful option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Do you not believe we should invest money in our criminal system?
    Of course we should, for shorter sentences to be applied and more money invested in rehabilitation and societal reintegration, however i do not agree that murderers and rapists who have been found 100% guilty drain our resources. For every person we cushion up in jails, less money goes into the NHS and the likes, im sure more good citizens could be saved by this extra freed up money instead of good people dying because the NHS cant be funded because some rapist or murderer needs to be kept alive and safe for the next 20 odd years.

ReputationRep:
    Just spotted this post and I thought it was worth examining a few of the arguments made therein.

(Original post by Mentally)
    Yes in theory if these conditions were met.
    Hmm...the problem is how do we deal with heinous crimes in reality. They're not investigated or tried in a theoretical bubble.

1. We were 100% certain that the person caught is the perpetrator
    The problem with that is that the threshold is far higher than that of criminal liability. A guilty conviction rests on guilt beyond all reasonable doubt, not guilt to a moral certainty, and it wouldn't be practical to meet that burden of proof in most cases.
    2. It is cheaper than life in prison. I'm not sure why putting a single bullet through someones head should be more expensive than clothing/feeding/sheltering someone for their entire life.
    I believe evidence in the US suggests it's more expensive to give a prisoner a death penalty punishment than keep them in prison.
    3. It is only applied to the murderers and rapists(no bs rape accusation were u think u said no but not sure)
    See response to point 1. How would you prove guilt to a moral certainty, particularly in the case of many rapes?
    For those arguing that it is bloodthirdty inhuman vengeful behaviour, I'd like you to imagine (God forbid) that your mother/daughter was raped then murdered, her body hidden. Now I don't know about you but I'd definately wouldn't be remotely content with them being locked up, fed 3 times with a roof over their head and warm clothe on their back. I'd want them dead atleast.
    Fair point, but that's exactly why, imo, interested parties should never have a stake in the mode of punishment of the offenders who have committed a serious offense against a loved one.
    For now though there is still the risk of killing an innocent person so until we can always 100% certain that its the right guy I am against the death penalty.
    I'd say that the only reasonable position for you to take, then, is to oppose the death penalty, since meeting the preconditions you've set out for yourself to support it, as evidenced above, simply isn't possible.

ReputationRep:
    40% support the death penalty. Wow! I hope that isn't representative of the population at large. That is a shocking and embarrassing statistic

ReputationRep:
    Of course we should, for shorter sentences to be applied and more money invested in rehabilitation and societal reintegration, however i do not agree that murderers and rapists who have been found 100% guilty drain our resources. For every person we cushion up in jails, less money goes into the NHS and the likes, im sure more good citizens could be saved by this extra freed up money instead of good people dying because the NHS cant be funded because some rapist or murderer needs to be kept alive and safe for the next 20 odd years.
    I would argue that we can know someones guilty 100%. Not to mention, I think trying to come up with some convoluted system where completely guilty murderers and rapists are treated differently than almost completely guilty murderers and rapists.

I also see no reason why murderers and rapists should be exempt from an attempt to rehabilitate and reintegrate into society.

ReputationRep:
    ikr, especially the islamic republic of the USA and Japan
    It was meant as a joke in case you werent aware

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny360)
    It was meant as a joke in case you werent aware
    Well im not, how has a once Great America become a muslim hell hole and even elect Hussein Obama as president?

ReputationRep:
    Torturing the person would not undo what has already been done, so performing the torture does nothing but serve some sick selfish desire to cause pain to another person. While it might feel good to exact my revenge, it would not be for the state to cater to my petty desires.
    If you think it's a sick, selfish desire for pain to be inflicted on someone who rapes and kills your child, you are absolutely pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    a prisoner cost us £1.2 million a year and a bullet cost just a few quid you could kill the worst prisoners and save a couple of billion every year so they wouldn't need to cut so much oh and tax your rich friend georgey boy facebook paid £5k last year but made an estimated $1million so yeah

ReputationRep:
    It depends i would go for unsure.

I think crimes such as
    Murder
    Manslaughter
    Arsonists
    Child Molesters
    Terrorists
    ISIS Flag Bearers

ReputationRep:
    Investing invaluable resources to look after serial killers and rapists is a farce.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it ethically, but not for reasons of revenge or suffering. I think that imprisoning someone for life might actually be worse. Sure, they don't suffer any physical pain, but can you imagine the psychological suffering of solitary confinement for the rest of your life? Many prisoners actually end up hanging themselves out of despair if their sentences are that long. They actually have to keep them away from ropes or belts and keep them on a suicide watch.

I don't agree with torture, or with executing people for crimes other than capital murder. Basically, someone that kills a policeman during an escape attempt, or kills a child under 10 years old, etc. I also think that the most humane method possible should be used, and that would be lethal injection.

In my opinion, every prisoner sentenced for a crime that would lead to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole should have the option of choosing death instead. That might be a controversial stance, but I really think it would be more fair to let the condemned choose their poison. A person that fears death might see execution as a cruel and unusual punishment, but other people might loathe the idea of being alone forever enough that the idea of dying might be preferable. A lot of people won't like the idea of letting the criminal choose their own punishment, but to me it seems like the only fair way of respecting the prisoner's rights as a human being. My reasoning is similar to that of allowing assisted suicide for people with a terminal illness. The jury decides that the accused is to be excluded from society indefinitely, but the prisoner decides whether that means life or death.

However, even though I agree with it in principle, the lack of availability of the drugs needed for lethal injections means that the executions are less humane than they should be, and I think it should be discontinued for practical rather than moral reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tebr)
    If you think it's a sick, selfish desire for pain to be inflicted on someone who rapes and kills your child, you are absolutely pathetic
    How is it anything beyond selfish?

Edit: And what does it accomplish apart from you feeling better about someone else's suffering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    40% support the death penalty. Wow! I hope that isn't representative of the population at large. That is a shocking and embarrassing statistic
    Bad news bears:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/08/13...ears-favoured/

ReputationRep:
    If the UK was to leave the EU so that it could reinstate capital punishment it's likely we'd adopt a system somewhat similar to the USA where death penalty trials are 20 times more expensive to the taxpayer than trials seeking life in prison.

(Original post by ZZTop1)
    It depends i would go for unsure.

I think crimes such as
    Murder
    Manslaughter
    Arsonists
    Child Molesters
    Terrorists
    ISIS Flag Bearers
    So if take if I pick up a piece of paper that belongs to you and set fire to it I should be liable to be executed? If I drop something that you could slip on and you do and later die I should be eligible for the death penalty? Some people say some utterly moronic things.

Funny that the people of the US, a country which uses capital punishment, don't think it's an effective deterrent. Luckily the EU wouldn't allow us to reinstate capital punishment

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is it anything beyond selfish?

Edit: And what does it accomplish apart from you feeling better about someone else's suffering?
    It's fair and brings justice on the family of the victims. It should also please the general population knowing that a murderer or child rapist is now dead.

ReputationRep:
    I bet 100% of them (pro death penalty people) are meat eaters. Bloody meat eating savages. A vegan would not vote in favour of capital punishment, EVER!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    but why should the tax payer pay for them to have very easy lives?
    The taxpayer pays more to have someone executed than to have them locked up. Moreover, the taxpayer pays more when the death penalty is in place because it takes the place of other, better deterrents, leading to more crime.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.