Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim men-Do you ACTUALLY find hijabis attractive? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal)
    Christmas probably was a poor choice of religious festival...
    Exactly! Hannukah's the one :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    Exactly! Hannukah's the one :rolleyes:

Now there's a bad idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synchyst)
    Totally agree.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    These threads piss me off so much :lol:

'Do white guys find hijabis pretty?'

'Have you ever been attracted to a hijabi?'

'Have you ever approached a hijabi?'

:facepalm:
    Exactly! Hijab isnt even meant to be 'attractive' thats the whole purpose of it!

As a Hijabi i honestly dont think it makes any female less beautiful infact her beauty is in her modesty not her flesh or whats visible.
    At the end of the day a females physical attributes will fade gradually, its the personality that should attract the spouse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring_nurse)
    its the personality that should attract the spouse.
    this may be true in theory, but reality is quite, quite different

ReputationRep:
    In simple terms, a woman in Islam is treated like a jewel (without objectifying her lol). She is precious and there is a saying ''heaven (paradise) lies under the feet of your mother''. Women are treated with great respect and the hijab (among others), are there to hide their 'precious' beauty from those who are not immediate family members. It is indeed a symbol of modesty so that people cannot see her beauty.

That said, of course there are those who wear it and don't quite have the right intention, or perhaps they were pressured into wearing it.. but thats none of our business lol

PS: It's not only the hair, it's to cover the neck too. 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    this may be true in theory, but reality is quite, quite different
    I agree, the spouse should be attracted to the other half but in reality theres no point having a model looking wife whos personality is zero.. if she has both then lucky husband!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would only marry a woman who wore the hijab and was proud to because she is a Muslim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiduciam)
    In simple terms, a woman in Islam is treated like a jewel (without objectifying her lol). She is precious and there is a saying ''heaven (paradise) lies under the feet of your mother''. Women are treated with great respect and the hijab (among others), are there to hide their 'precious' beauty from those who are not immediate family members. It is indeed a symbol of modesty so that people cannot see her beauty.
    these are the worn apologetics that are currently being served Muslim women so as to console them for their inferior position. Don't forget :

"Men have authority over women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand" (God, Quran 4:34)

ReputationRep:
    these are the worn apologetics that are currently being served Muslim women so as to console them for their inferior position. Don't forget :

"Men have authority over women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand" (God, Quran 4:34)
    Hi,

As ever - that has been translated incorrectly. For example, the word which was translated to be 'strike them' was used in 3:146 as 'move away'. No doubt, if in fact you took that translation directly from a site/book or whatever from one who is a practising Muslim - then he would be the extremist kind who is ruining the religion. I assure you, please do go ahead and ask an online scholar even (there are probably plenty of sites) - the majority will tell you this is not accepted in Islam.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

As ever - that has been translated incorrectly. For example, the word which was translated to be 'strike them' was used in 3:146 as 'move away'. No doubt, if in fact you took that translation directly from a site/book or whatever from one who is a practising Muslim - then he would be the extremist kind who is ruining the religion. I assure you, please do go ahead and ask an online scholar even (there are probably plenty of sites) - the majority will tell you this is not accepted in Islam.
    the translation I quoted is the Sahih International - perhaps the most widely-used Quran translation. In fact, I slightly misquoted the first phrase (it actually says "men are in charge of women" instead of "men have authority over women", but the rest is correct.

The most widely-used English translation (together with Sahih) is probably Yusuf Ali

4:34 Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).

Not much more inspiring than Sahih International, in my view. Note that the words in brackets are added by the translator himself.

This is Pickthal :
    "Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great."

In any case, you can explore several other translations here http://quran.com/4 , just click on the tab "translations". And no, these are not extremists, but respected Islamic scholars.

best

ReputationRep:
    the translation I quoted is by Yusuf Ali - perhaps the most widely-used Quran translation. I took it from here - http://quran.com

The most used English translation (together with Yusuf Ali) is probably Sahih International

"Sahih International
    4:34 Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand."

Not much more inspiring than Yusuf Ali, in my view.

In any case, you can explore several other translations here http://quran.com/4 , just click on the tab "translations". And no, these are not extremists, but respected Islamic scholars.

best
    Strange, I'd never have thought a website which is called quran.com could be so misleading. I respect your view and see that you have a great basis to believe that this is allowed in Islam, but I can only give you a personal assurance that it is not and that the translation above is deemed to be incorrect. I cannot vouch for what translations are the most used nor can I say that you're incorrect, since I read it in Arabic rather than English (although I have read it in English) - but I wouldn't say most used and most reliable would always come hand in hand (especially in this case lol). I would like to forward this to you:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Wife/beating1.html

If you dwell deeper into this, and look at forums led by Muslims (i.e. sunniforum, shiachat etc), you would see the general consensus amongst (id hope) at least 95% of them would be the answer you'd hope for, rather than the one you're led to believe from that translation above. There will always be a split amongst every belief/religion mind you.

ReputationRep:
    Strange, I'd never have thought a website which is called quran.com could be so misleading. I respect your view and see that you have a great basis to believe that this is allowed in Islam, but I can only give you a personal assurance that it is not and that the translation above is deemed to be incorrect. I cannot vouch for what translations are the most used nor can I say that you're incorrect, since I read it in Arabic rather than English (although I have read it in English) - but I wouldn't say most used and most reliable would always come hand in hand (especially in this case lol). I would like to forward this to you:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Wife/beating1.html

If you dwell deeper into this, and look at forums led by Muslims (i.e. sunniforum, shiachat etc), you would see the general consensus amongst (id hope) at least 95% of them would be the answer you'd hope for, rather than the one you're led to believe from that translation above. There will always be a split amongst every belief/religion mind you.
    thanks

I have corrected and expanded my post, by the way.

I am familiar with the islamic-awareness website, and I know that the usual answer you find on Islamic sites is some kind of attenuation of this verse, by specifying that wives should not be hit on the face, no marks should be left, only a miswak should be used, a "light tap" is involved etc etc, and a series of ahadith is usually quoted to that purpose

This, to be frank, sounds to me as being mostly a "damage limitation" operation

Best

edit : just noted that you mentioned islamawareness, not islamic-awareness. No, I don't know islamawareness, At first sight, it does not seem to have the same scholarly level, but I'll have a look at it

ReputationRep:
    thanks

I have corrected and expanded my post, by the way.

I am familiar with the islamic-awareness website, and I know that the usual answer you find on Islamic sites is some kind of attenuation of this verse, by specifying that wives should not be hit on the face, no marks should be left, only a miswak should be used, a "light tap" is involved etc etc, and a series of ahadith is usually quoted to that purpose

This, to be frank, sounds to me as being mostly a "damage limitation" operation

Best

edit : just noted that you mentioned islamawareness, not islamic-awareness. No, I don't know islamawareness, At first sight, it does not seem to have the same scholarly level, but I'll have a look at it
    As long as you're willing to give it a look, I respect that.

I have to be honest with you though, I have never looked at islamic-awareness or quran.com, because I have been taught Islam and my teachings have never made me question Islam, and believe me - had I been told stuff like you can hit your wife, I would've (dare I say it) questioned it myself.. but in all my years, I have never been taught such a thing. Hence, I do not believe it to be true. Rather than websites and the places you get your information from (and it seems you have invested a vast amount of time into this yourself), i've met many scholars in person and never have I heard something which makes me feel at unease. I can only suggest to switch up your sources, because to me it looks like you are being mislead.

Again, it all varies on the following - the scholar you are receiving your information from, the sect in Islam that scholar belongs to and so on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.