Turn on thread page Beta

Would you rather be born rich or smart? watch

ReputationRep:
    No where in the OP was there a comment on your intelligence if you were born rich, so as long as I'm not going to be a complete dumb dumb I'd take the moolah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihihi)
    If you have a household net worth of £2.8m you are in the 1%, so I'd classify being worth £2.5m by yourself as rich.
    (Original post by Howard)
    It would solve a few problems though.
    Not for long, I'd say to maintain a decent upper class lifestyle you'd need about 5 mil. Just buying a house would like halve 2.5 plus you're thick, so it isn't like you can just get a good job.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    In the past, I would have gone with the smart option. But being poor isn't very nice. Constant worries about bills, being unable to save up for when, say, the washing machine breaks, no holidays abroad or even elsewhere in the country, having to be careful with the heating even when it's really cold, and so on. So, I'm going with being rich.

Besides, it might be quite nice to be a bit dim. Probably wouldn't be worrying about the state of the world, and the depressing things in the news. You could just float around in blissful ignorance and financial security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    In the past, I would have gone with the smart option. But being poor isn't very nice. Constant worries about bills, being unable to save up for when, say, the washing machine breaks, no holidays abroad or even elsewhere in the country, having to be careful with the heating even when it's really cold, and so on. So, I'm going with being rich.

Besides, it might be quite nice to be a bit dim. Probably wouldn't be worrying about the state of the world, and the depressing things in the news. You could just float around in blissful ignorance and financial security.
    best post so far! being smart comes with quite a few downsides!

ReputationRep:
    I would be smart

ReputationRep:
    Now, if I was born in an aristocratic family I would probably pay to go to one of these elite private school which would most likely pave my way to Oxbridge and a blissful life.

But then again, I might not know important things like juggling 5 oranges ot touching the tip of my nose with my tongue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    That's weird. It's almost as if you're implying that you're smart. :rofl: From your post record I'd wager your IQ to be in the single digits (not to say IQ is the only measure of intelligence - Maybe you're a savant at being a moron?)
    ****ing savage 😂😂

I'd go for being born rich, much easier to get places in life imo.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    best post so far! being smart comes with quite a few downsides!
    Thanks!

Another benefit of having money is when you or a family member/loved one falls ill. Private health care, and the ability to hire a carer. There are many carers in this country living in poverty, looking after parents, partners, children with disabilities or health problems. Sometimes unpaid, sometimes living off benefits/carer's allowance. It's a tough, stressful existence.

"Work hard and you'll get somewhere" is a nice idea, but many people work hard their whole lives and just do themselves in, without ever reaping any real rewards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpe Diem Jay)
    ****ing savage 😂😂

I'd go for being born rich, much easier to get places in life imo.
    true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Thanks!

Another benefit of having money is when you or a family member/loved one falls ill. Private health care, and the ability to hire a carer. There are many carers in this country living in poverty, looking after parents, partners, children with disabilities or health problems. Sometimes unpaid, sometimes living off benefits/carer's allowance. It's a tough, stressful existence.

"Work hard and you'll get somewhere" is a nice idea, but many people work hard their whole lives and just do themselves in, without ever reaping any real rewards.
    i agree life's hard!

ReputationRep:
    Born rich so I wouldn't have to study my arse off to get a career - lazy life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OceanSea)
    Smart because I would use my intelligence to become rich!
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    I would love to be a prodigy.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if you start smart and you have the accumen to work yourself out of poverty that that would be great but then again, if you're wealthy, you dont have to worry about falling into poverty so dont need to be all that smart. Id rather go down the middle and work my way up tbh

ReputationRep:
    Rich and stupid. Being poor really sucks and your life goal really is just trying to make a living and reduce all the stress imposed on you for being poor or in a difficult situation. I can work on the stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TreeFellOnMe)
    Rich and stupid. Being poor really sucks and your life goal really is just trying to make a living and reduce all the stress imposed on you for being poor or in a difficult situation. I can work on the stupid.
    well said i don't think people know how hard it is to be poor and how hard it is to climb out regardless of your intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Rich I could hire people to be smart for me

ReputationRep:
    There is a guy at the place at I work who has a brother who must be making a decent salary as an American footballer and can afford to drive around in Range Rovers and live in America. However he is short, blonde and probably the stupidest person in the entire store. He's popular enough but I wouldn't trade being smart and decent looking as a woman for being him in a million years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    There is a guy at the place at I work who has a brother who must be making a decent salary as an American footballer and can afford to drive around in Range Rovers and live in America. However he is short, blonde and probably the stupidest person in the entire store. He's popular enough but I wouldn't trade being smart and decent looking as a woman for being him in a million years
    lol no one said anything about looks. Plus he's a guy and rich and successful even if he is BUTT UGLY and SHORT he will still do ok for himself when it comes to girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    lol no one said anything about looks. Plus he's a guy and rich and successful even if he is BUTT UGLY and SHORT he will still do ok for himself when it comes to girls
    No, he isn't. His brother is. He works at the same place where I work and just gets bullied all the time lmao

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.