Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Relegation Thread 15/16 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Think it's safe to say that Bournemouth are already down
    O rly

Villa and Norwich are certs and it'll be one of the north east clubs.
    Sunderland are currently better but the Johnson saga could affect them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Remarkable how those two wins now make Swansea safe. That's really all you need. So much of a relegation scrap is about creating momentum and feeding off it.

I actually thought they were unlucky to lose at Spurs, before their back to back victories over Arsenal and Norwich.

Be interesting to see what happens with Palace. They'll be safe, I think, but they could do with getting a win soon. No victory since December, if I recall correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    How's Pardew doing right now? Oh right...
    He's comfortably outside the relegation zone and will be in the Prem next season. The same can't be said about Newcastle. Oh and he spent £60m less than Newcastle.

You know **** all of the situation with Pardew if you think we weren't too good for him. He's a man who headbutt opposition players, directly blamed the fans or 'the science' for losses, a man who started an almost unheard of trend for Newcastle to start losing derbies, he couldn't win a cup game and didn't even try etc etc.
    Which manager have you had since Sir Bobby who was better?

Alan Pardew, along with Ashley, Charnley and Carr is partly the reason we're in this mess. He started this horrific, couldn't give a **** if we lose mentality. Newcastle fans quite rightly wanted him out, it's just a testimony to how badly managed our club is that firstly his assistant was given too much time at the helm then McLaren was given the job despite ****ing up with Derby.
    Firstly, other than "coz he was sacked" how did McClaren do badly at Derby?

Your fans wanted Pardew out when you were in the top half, so that you could have Carviola and Shteve drag you into relegation. Okay then, DELUDED MAGS.

I don't see how Pardew is to blame for the current form either. He consistently got mid-table finishes, other than 12/13 where they had European distractions (before you bring that up).

This season at least, other than not sacking McClaren what has Mike Ashley done wrong? It's also really knee jerk to blame Graham Carr, given the players he's bought in previous years and that the players he currently bought may turn up for half-decent managers.

When Pardew walked out (for a big pay day no less) we were linked to Tuchel, and there's reports he wanted to come. Were linked to Benitez now despite the fact were essentially down. These are the kind of managers we can attract. Pardew isn't a good enough manager, McLaren clearly isn't a good enough manager,
    You might get Benitez? LOL, no you won't. The best you MIGHT get is Rodgers if you stay up and he gets a fat wad of cash. Otherwise, you're looking at a Nigel Pearson type.

I don't see how finishes of 12th, 5th, 16th, 10th and 10th are bad for a club that usually finished around low mid table.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    O rly

Villa and Norwich are certs and it'll be one of the north east clubs.
    Sunderland are currently better but the Johnson saga could affect them.
    Their fixture list is absolutely horrific but they only need one more win tbf and I can see them getting it. Delighted that they've managed to stay up despite so many injuries and making few changes to their Championship squad.

If Newcastle don't sack McLaren and lose the derby they're gone. Not really arsed who goes down out of them and Sunderland because both have been circling the drain and showing no ambition for years. Whoever goes down will be gutted from top to bottom and come back stronger whereas whoever stays up will just sign more dross and end up in a relegation scrap again in 16/17.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sr90)
    Their fixture list is absolutely horrific but they only need one more win tbf and I can see them getting it. Delighted that they've managed to stay up despite so many injuries and making few changes to their Championship squad.

If Newcastle don't sack McLaren and lose the derby they're gone. Not really arsed who goes down out of them and Sunderland because both have been circling the drain and showing no ambition for years. Whoever goes down will be gutted from top to bottom and come back stronger whereas whoever stays up will just sign more dross and end up in a relegation scrap again in 16/17.
    Completely agree with the final paragraph. I'd send both of them down and keep them there for a decade if I could. It's refreshing Villa are going down, too. They've been too unambitious and treading water for far too long.

In an ideal world, Sunderland/Newcastle would both go down and Middlesbrough would come up.

I'll miss Villa Park, though.

ReputationRep:
    Big Sam v Rafa

Shame one of them has to go down now, that'd have been a good sideshow over the next season with them two considering how 'well' they get on.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't get the thinking of Rafa joining Newcastle now (or at all but that's a different matter altogether).

He's going to be at a club with really demotivated players (many of whom will leave if they go down) and perhaps have a relegation on his C.V.

If he signed an agreement to join at the start of next season, Newcastle would definitely agree to it and just get someone like Sherwood on an interim basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    I still don't get the thinking of Rafa joining Newcastle now (or at all but that's a different matter altogether).

He's going to be at a club with really demotivated players (many of whom will leave if they go down) and perhaps have a relegation on his C.V.

If he signed an agreement to join at the start of next season, Newcastle would definitely agree to it and just get someone like Sherwood on an interim basis.
    He could negotiate an enormous bonus for keeping us up this season. That's the only reason I could think.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ego.

He thinks he can turn the club around, has already demanded full control according to reports, and will see it as a way of awaking a sleeping giant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Ego.

He thinks he can turn the club around, has already demanded full control according to reports, and will see it as a way of awaking a sleeping giant.
    I think that's somewhat unfair.

To me the more likely reason is the sheer challenge.

Assuming a man as successful as he is is no fool (although I accept its possible that he is) he will be all too aware that there's a good chance that he will fall flat on his face.

If he has any sense at all he will have duly looked up Newcastles relegation odds and that will tell him all he needs to know.)

I'm not at all clear whether he would be there in the Championship I must point out.

In short I don't think that someone who takes on a job in which they can clearly see beforehand that they risk looking foolish in front of millions of football fans ,most of whom,of course,know far more about football,can justifiably be accused of leading with their ego.

But that's just my biased opinion of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

I do have a strong preference.

Newcastle. I'd love them to go down.

Admittedly betting will always play a big part in my preferences and Newcastle in the Championship should make trading that league easier.

But more than that ,in a perverse way,I really think it's what they need as a club.

Five years in the wilderness may well do them more good in the long term than another 5 years struggling in the Premiership attracting/buying the wrong type of player.

(Plus it wouldn't half help my Championship betting)

ReputationRep:
    He's probably got a deal that means he gets bumper bonus for keeping them up, or a gentleman's agreement to leave without paying his full deal if they go down. I think he'll do well, got more nous and reputation than McClaren but who'll score them the goals? Least Sunderland have got Defoe, plus Borini can get an odd one here or there. Rafa's defensive work might be crucial - if they can keep strong as a unit defensively, nick a goal here and there, might be the key to results.

ReputationRep:
    Premier League is much worse off without us tbh. We're pure box office like it or not.

Doesn't matter how insignificant we are in the league we always find a way to be a major news story.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Newcastle won't be targetting 17th and ignoring cups next year with Rafa in charge, lets put it that way.

His appointment means i'd much rather Sunderland went down.

ReputationRep:
    Ego.

I guess. But going from a team that starts Benzema, Bale, Ronaldo and Modric to a team that plays the likes of Dummett must somewhat bruise his ego.

ReputationRep:
    You might get Benitez? LOL, no you won't. The best you MIGHT get is Rodgers if you stay up and he gets a fat wad of cash. Otherwise, you're looking at a Nigel Pearson type.
    Haha

Ego.He thinks he can turn the club around, has already demanded full control according to reports, and will see it as a way of awaking a sleeping giant.
    Newcastle isn't far from Liverpool situationally, which is where he lives and his kids go to school I think.

It isn't too surprising considering this when you look at the club's potential under good management. Still a massive coup and I really hope it works out for Rafa and Newcastle.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I guess. But going from a team that starts Benzema, Bale, Ronaldo and Modric to a team that plays the likes of Dummett must somewhat bruise his ego.
    Like going from UEFA Cup-winning Valencia to coaching Djimi Traore.

(Joke)

(Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Haha

Newcastle isn't far from Liverpool situationally, which is where he lives and his kids go to school I think.

It isn't too surprising considering this when you look at the club's potential under good management. Still a massive coup and I really hope it works out for Rafa and Newcastle.
    Agreed. Really hope it works out for him. Read a funny story about Rafa coaching Wirral school kids while he was out of work! Ha.

ReputationRep:
    Getting to Liverpool from Newcastle is a pain in the arse tbh. Might look close but it's easier to get to London.

ReputationRep:
    I think Rafa has been desperate to get back into the premier league as a manager. I think his family have been in England since his Liverpool stint.

ReputationRep:
    Villa, Norwich and Newcastle to go down.
    Newcastle to have 2 3-0 defeats this week.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.