Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2015/16 Rugby (Union) Season Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Lots of changes as expected!

ReputationRep:
    Squad didn't really say too much, lots of changes as expected, some unexpected but no overall pattern to the changes (no complete "changing of the guard" like Lancaster did, and no bias towards one team): the 23 for the Scotland match and the way that they play will tell us more!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cipriani has vowed to earn a recall - but I can't see it any time soon. Think his time in an England shirt may be over.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about Tom Youngs missing out?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by matt1306)
    Missing out for Cowan-Dickie seems a bit harsh, though I can understand if George and Hartley are 1 and 2 (in whichever order) then Eddie Jones might want to use the third squad place for a young gun. Whether LCD is the right young gun I'm yet to be convinced.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't seem to make sense. He's in pretty good form, neither LCD or Hartley are 100% fit (let alone whether they are on form!), and George is a "young gun" the same way that LCD is so having LCD there just so he can get experience seems a bit silly especially given that the way it looks right now is that he will end up being second choice to George throughout his career... Honestly the only justification I've heard is something to do with hooking and whether or not Youngs hooks the ball, but that doesn't strike me as the most convincing reason

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the 6 nations fixtures and it's more or less perfect if you're an England fan. They'll play both Ireland and Wales at Twickenham.

Wales also have to travel to the Aviva, so it would be quite the grandslam if they/we're to pull it off.

Think it'll be another case of a couple of teams on 8 points, with everyone beating everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Ospreys beat Clermont to take control of their group.

ReputationRep:
    Saracens and Leicester Tigers qualified!

ReputationRep:
    Have to say I feel sorry for Wasps. Losing at the last minute is always a horrible way to do so.

If it's any consolation they're only a point behind Toulon and so have a very good chance of qualifying. (They need to win with a BP, or win and have to hope a little bit)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Great, champion effort from Toulon. Remarkable.

ReputationRep:
    I think both Toulon and Wasps will progress. Won' be surprised if they draw each other in the quarter finals....dam what a game that would be!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Great, champion effort from Toulon. Remarkable.
    And an even better bit of commentary from Nick Mullins as well. I hope ITV have him signed up for the Six Nations.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.wru.wales/eng/news/35592#

Welsh squad announced. Halfpenny, Scott Williams and Webb, who are still sidelined, the only notable absentees. Pack is looking strong, and providing there isn't another injury crisis the backs are solid.

Hopefully the return of Jonathan Davies will bring some creativity in the midfield. Missed him badly in the WC.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    http://www.wru.wales/eng/news/35592#

Welsh squad announced. Halfpenny, Scott Williams and Webb, who are still sidelined, the only notable absentees. Pack is looking strong, and providing there isn't another injury crisis the backs are solid.

Hopefully the return of Jonathan Davies will bring some creativity in the midfield. Missed him badly in the WC.
    Priestland is the only surprise for me on that list. Owen Williams if he's fit would probably be my choice for second 10.

Wales are surely clear favourites going into this now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Priestland is the only surprise for me on that list. Owen Williams if he's fit would probably be my choice for second 10.

Wales are surely clear favourites going into this now.
    Does he even start for Bath? Rhys Patchell would have been my choice. Can't say I've seen much of Williams, though.

Not so sure. We'll have to win at least one of the games at the Aviva and Twickenham. England will be hurting and out for revenge, so can't count them out. You know what you get with Ireland. I imagine those 3 teams will walk to victory against Scots, Italians and French.

I think if all teams play to their best then we'll win it, but wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to last year.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Does he even start for Bath? Rhys Patchell would have been my choice. Can't say I've seen much of Williams, though.

Not so sure. We'll have to win at least one of the games at the Aviva and Twickenham. England will be hurting and out for revenge, so can't count them out. You know what you get with Ireland. I imagine those 3 teams will walk to victory against Scots, Italians and French.

I think if all teams play to their best then we'll win it, but wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to last year.
    If we get a Super Saturday that's half as good as last year's I'll be surprised. England will either be wonderful and pushing for the Slam (though Paris might be tough) or they'll be still gelling and be quite mediocre.

I've not seen that much of Patchell but he'd probably be a better option. Ford starts for Bath, but his form is so poor right now that Priestland is often an improvement when he comes on. Owen Williams has had injury problems and not played much, but I still haven't quite figured out whether Cockerill prefers him or Freddie Burns.

ReputationRep:
    If we get a Super Saturday that's half as good as last year's I'll be surprised. England will either be wonderful and pushing for the Slam (though Paris might be tough) or they'll be still gelling and be quite mediocre.

I've not seen that much of Patchell but he'd probably be a better option. Ford starts for Bath, but his form is so poor right now that Priestland is often an improvement when he comes on. Owen Williams has had injury problems and not played much, but I still haven't quite figured out whether Cockerill prefers him or Freddie Burns.
    I can't imagine ever having as a good a days rugby like last year's anytime soon. It was insane! Still think it's going to be a cracking tournament.

ReputationRep:
    Owen Williams has had injury problems and not played much, but I still haven't quite figured out whether Cockerill prefers him or Freddie Burns.
    Owen Williams came back from long term injury just after the start of this premiership season. He played really well and I think Cockers prefers him over Freddie Burns unless the type of game suits Burns. However, Owen Williams broke is jaw in two places against Northampton and is out for 8 weeks.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Owen Williams came back from long term injury just after the start of this premiership season. He played really well and I think Cockers prefers him over Freddie Burns unless the type of game suits Burns. However, Owen Williams broke is jaw in two places against Northampton and is out for 8 weeks.
    Leicester have had bad luck with fly halves and broken jaws this season. Burns is only recently back from one himself, isn't he?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.