Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you wish you'd known... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbonnet)
    Ahahahahaha this is so cuuuuute thannnnks but yup I lived in France my whole tiny life ! (I didn't even move or something within my country, I live in the same city since I was born, you can see the sedentary type aha)
    I just got in a special "section" at the start of middleschool (11 years old), having more classes of English than the regular pupils, studying history and geography and a bit of english literature with mostly English-native-speaker teachers (that were all so loooovely my god) and I'm going to pass the baccalaureate (the big scary final exam right before undergrad studies) with this option called OIB (Option Internationale Baccalauréat) with British literature and History and Geography in English

Right infortunately we're not choosing the syllabus aha
    Oops I though it was, it seemed easy for the person I knew but actually she didn't really explain me how she did so she probably knew someone as you said ^^
    Yup maybe I will ! I'll take a look at some international organisation !
    Do you intend to do some volunteering yourself ?

Good luck for you too with your gap year full of maths and exciting lab work experiences ahaha
    omg! I am literally in awe of your English hahaha. That is so awesome!
    Yeah i wanna do some volunteering for some charity or something - that would be cool. I wanna volunteer for a hotline and also (hopefullyyyy) volunteer to help with VidCon 2017 but i wanna get a proper job too just cos i wanna get the feell of it. And i wanna do a first aid course - maybe do some taekwondo :3 so much i wanna do hah! maybe i should take 2 gap years

eeekk thanks :3

ReputationRep:
    About 90% of the 'university student stereotypes' are wrong. or have been for me, things like
    -lots of arguments with flatmates in halls
    -too much noise in halls
    -some one comes in drunk and sick at 3am and wakes everyone up with a fire alarm (any part of that, has never happened)
    -its a bad way of life, bad food, always no money,
    -there is not many lessons, so there is lots of spare time to find something to do in (obviously work is part of that)
    -everyone talks to everyone because they are all in the same situation and needing friends, so making friends is easy
    -people (students and teachers) understand people with disabilities
    -there is lots of support at unis for people with disabilities.
    -uni is the best time of your life (school was better)
    Hope you get the idea by now.

ReputationRep:
    ehehhhhehyey yyyyyeeeeahhhhh, chill man, so what you fail ur exams, vast in the moment, so what, you dont care, you got to keep it real, dont worry about the future, so what.

ReputationRep:
    Wow Chinese and Japanese are fascinating languages, with their different alphabets and all that.. I'm impressed !! It must have been so cool to live in China for a year and practice the language there !
    Ahaha well, If you ever miss speaking French, you can contact me, it's my native language But I can't help you with German, I chose Spanish

The 'more responsability' is quite scary but I think I will enjoy it and will actually evolve in this sort of environment, and hopefully manage it well enough !
    Aaaah can't wait
    Alphabets actually don't exist in either Chinese or Japanese. Chinese is made up solely of logographic characters and Japanese is made up of the same logographic characters alongside two syllabic scrips known as hiragana and katakana. It is a bit confusing for some people, but I quite enjoy it. I could never remember how to recite the alphabet in French or German and I don't think I ever will.

What are you applying for at uni?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I think prospective students should be warned about the pressures of being or finding your best friends at uni within a month. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Now, don't get me wrong, when I was at a previous uni, I gelled with some amazing people and I'd consider them long lasting friends (a selected few, 4 out of 20 will be life long friends). Which is fine. But it will take time for friendships to grow.

I'm at a new uni now, and the struggle of making close friends has been something I never considered. I have friends, but not as close as my friends from my other uni. But I'm OK with that because it's better to have a few close friends than a lot of distant friends.

Friends will come about if you are given the right opportunity. If people ask you to go out, say yes. If you hear a flat party, ask your flat and say to them to go along.

I think at uni it is hard to make friends (I'm OK because Im a confident person and I'm not a try hard to I know very quickly who I'd gel with). It's not "easy" as people often claim. But if you're not enjoying your time there because you have no friends and your course, you should consider moving. But uni is about a lot of experiences and it will most definitely come with its best and worst.

People may seem like they're posting their amazing nights out on facebook or sc, but they won't have that for 3 years. The world isn't made for our lives to be perfect. So just because you're not experiencing that, doesn't mean it will not happen.

This is all what I'd say to my future self and to guys reading this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    omg! I am literally in awe of your English hahaha. That is so awesome!
    Yeah i wanna do some volunteering for some charity or something - that would be cool. I wanna volunteer for a hotline and also (hopefullyyyy) volunteer to help with VidCon 2017 but i wanna get a proper job too just cos i wanna get the feell of it. And i wanna do a first aid course - maybe do some taekwondo :3 so much i wanna do hah! maybe i should take 2 gap years

eeekk thanks :3
    Ahahahaha thaaannnnnkkkks this is so niiiiiiceeeee (as you can see the number of similar letters following each other increases more and more, this is me being embarassed and not knowing what to answer at compliments and ending acting stupid. Always aha)

Oh my god VidCon, so cool !!!! Yeah me too I would like to get a job, like working in a shop or whatever, just to get the 'real life' experience, with rude customers, public transports during rush hours, lame work schedules and tyrannical boss aha
    Definitely doing the first aid course !! Ahaha true right ! So many things to do in one year that I'm probably going to end starting uni at 83 years old aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Alphabets actually don't exist in either Chinese or Japanese. Chinese is made up solely of logographic characters and Japanese is made up of the same logographic characters alongside two syllabic scrips known as hiragana and katakana. It is a bit confusing for some people, but I quite enjoy it. I could never remember how to recite the alphabet in French or German and I don't think I ever will.

What are you applying for at uni?
    Oh ok, the logographic characters are not considered as an alphabet ! Great I learned something today aha It is surely confusing but must be very interesting especially !

I'm applying for Psychology :3

ReputationRep:
    Ahahahaha thaaannnnnkkkks this is so niiiiiiceeeee (as you can see the number of similar letters following each other increases more and more, this is me being embarassed and not knowing what to answer at compliments and ending acting stupid. Always aha)

Oh my god VidCon, so cool !!!! Yeah me too I would like to get a job, like working in a shop or whatever, just to get the 'real life' experience, with rude customers, public transports during rush hours, lame work schedules and tyrannical boss aha
    Definitely doing the first aid course !! Ahaha true right ! So many things to do in one year that I'm probably going to end starting uni at 83 years old aha
    hahaha awhhh dw idk how to reply to compliments either haha

ikr! i hope i get to see some youtubers backstage
    and yeah i know everyone makes it sound like the worst thing ever but i still wanna experience it haha - would put everything into perspective and make my life seem really good
    yuppp!! it's gonna be awesome though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    I think prospective students should be warned about the pressures of being or finding your best friends at uni within a month. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Now, don't get me wrong, when I was at a previous uni, I gelled with some amazing people and I'd consider them long lasting friends (a selected few, 4 out of 20 will be life long friends). Which is fine. But it will take time for friendships to grow.

I'm at a new uni now, and the struggle of making close friends has been something I never considered. I have friends, but not as close as my friends from my other uni. But I'm OK with that because it's better to have a few close friends than a lot of distant friends.

Friends will come about if you are given the right opportunity. If people ask you to go out, say yes. If you hear a flat party, ask your flat and say to them to go along.

I think at uni it is hard to make friends (I'm OK because Im a confident person and I'm not a try hard to I know very quickly who I'd gel with). It's not "easy" as people often claim. But if you're not enjoying your time there because you have no friends and your course, you should consider moving. But uni is about a lot of experiences and it will most definitely come with its best and worst.

People may seem like they're posting their amazing nights out on facebook or sc, but they won't have that for 3 years. The world isn't made for our lives to be perfect. So just because you're not experiencing that, doesn't mean it will not happen.

This is all what I'd say to my future self and to guys reading this!
    This definitely. I'd say I'm only close friends with 2 of the many people I met during the first month. I didn't make the majority of friends until I was halfway through 3rd year and has stayed this way now I'm in 4th year.

Yes, I do have fond memories of nights out with my flatmates, although I never see them now I'm in final year, but I don't feel bad about it. We had fun while it lasted but we obviously weren't meant to be besties. I honestly couldn't be happier with how my life at uni has turned out and I honestly don't want to graduate this year!

ReputationRep:
    - English people are VERY reserved and won't speak to you unless you speak to them.
    - A lot of people smoke, more than you'd think.
    - People in first year don't care about making noise.
    - It's not easy to make friends, not everyone is out to make friends.
    - It's so expensive to eat on campus, everything is cheaper when you leave campus.

ReputationRep:
    It's so easy meeting people at uni. I went to uni not knowing single person and made friends super easily. Often, there'll be Facebook groups for various accommodation blocks at the uni you're going to, where you'll be able to find people you're living with and get to know them a bit before you properly move in.

Classmates are also another obvious way of making friends. I currently live with a couple of my coursemates and we get on really well, although I do remember the awkwardness of our very first class when we all met each other.

Most unis also have plenty of societies-the uni I'm at has over 300, so there'll definitely be something that catches your interest. I've been quite active in my uni's hip hop dance society and have met some of my best friends through it, despite being super shy at the start.

The thing about uni is you just have to throw yourself into it. Uni's so much better than school as it doesn't have the destructive claustrophobic atmosphere school has. Also, everyone will be in the same position as you, moving away from home on their own for the first time and meeting an entirely new set of people, but honestly, uni is such a massive step up in terms of school. It's honestly so much better and I don't want to graduate this year
    It's really actually not. I only know about five people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    It's really actually not. I only know about five people.
    How long have you been at uni? Everyone I know found making friends at uni the easiest thing

ReputationRep:
    2 months. It depends where you go to university, there isn't much time to speak to people in my lectures.

ReputationRep:
    2 months. It depends where you go to university, there isn't much time to speak to people in my lectures.
    My course is the same but we still organise things to do together over Facebook outside class. You just have to make an effort. We also joined departmental societies and go to all their socials. I'm also on committee for another society, which has helped me make more friends through the socials I organise and our regular meet ups.

Where are you at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Making friends is a personal and individual thing. It will happen quickly for some people and might take the first year for others.

Don't judge yourself by other people. You're not a failure because you don't have half a dozen best mates by the end of Freshers' Week. Just because you don't make any particular friends in the first term, doesn't mean that it won't happen at all. You're trying to deal with a whole new way of living, plus figuring out uni study as well. Cut yourself some slack - friends can wait.

ReputationRep:
    LSE is super intense. Academics, jobs, etc. Everyone is so competitive. The works is so much difficult too. You really need to study so much to keep up properly and to do well.

I thought I may be able to have a social life in uni after suffering under IB but I guess I was wrong. So difficult to make friends and ****.

Also, so much drinking. So much ****ing drinking. My poor liver.

ReputationRep:
    My course is the same but we still organise things to do together over Facebook outside class. You just have to make an effort. We also joined departmental societies and go to all their socials. I'm also on committee for another society, which has helped me make more friends through the socials I organise and our regular meet ups.

Where are you at uni?
    Uea. Some people don't even turn up to my class so half the time I don't even see them.

ReputationRep:
    Uea. Some people don't even turn up to my class so half the time I don't even see them.
    It'll take longer than two months to find your proper friendship group. I'm only close friends with 3 people on my course and I didn't meet most of my closest friends until halfway through third year. So many people in my class don't come to class anyway, so I never see them and I honestly don't care.

If you're in first year, definitely throw yourself into societies and go to all their socials. That's a great way of finding new friends-that's what I did and I've met some of my closest friends because of it. You just have to persevere. I know southerners aren't the most outgoing or warmest of people (I grew up in the south east) but we are nice! You just have to break down the barriers, which takes time and perseverance.

ReputationRep:
    Well taht was nice! At least you recognised that people here are reserved.

I do go to a club and I like the people and clique with them, only see them once a week though.

ReputationRep:
    Well taht was nice! At least you recognised that people here are reserved.

I do go to a club and I like the people and clique with them, only see them once a week though.
    Maybe invite them out somewhere? Maybe suggest going for a meal with a couple you click with the most? That's how I got close to my society friends, so it's a suggestion

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.