• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Okay but you're still wrong.

Nop.

Neoliberalism is an economic ideology, it has nothing to do with being liberal. The word 'liberal' crops up in a lot of places but the meanings are NOT the same.

I don't particularly want to get into a semantics debate, but if you asked the common man on the street whether liberal = left, he would say yes. And yes, his opinion counts. Languages evolve, words change their meaning all the time - the public perception of the word 'liberal' has changed, whether you like it or not.
    Snufkin, just stop. I agree that Neo-Liberalism is just economics, but in terms of a PC, so is being Left-wing. Being the most left-wing doesn't mean you are the most Liberal, there are plenty of Left-wing Authoritarians and Right-wing Libertarians.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Snufkin, just stop. I agree that Neo-Liberalism is just economics, but in terms of a PC, so is being Left-wing. Being the most left-wing doesn't mean you are the most Liberal, there are plenty of Left-wing Authoritarians and Right-wing Libertarians.
    Nop. I shant.

ReputationRep:
    Nop. I shant.
    Stop raping him with your words!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Nop. I shant.
    Then at least come up with a constructive argument rather than

"nop"

Or, at the very least, spell it right and put the 'e' on the end.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Then at least come up with a constructive argument rather than

"nop"

Or, at the very least, spell it right and put the 'e' on the end.
    You said you didn't want to argue with me, so I didn't bother replying to you. Nop.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    You said you didn't want to argue with me, so I didn't bother replying to you. Nop.
    Well it seems we're having the argument anyway, even though you haven't actually got a point to make.

You could actually attempt to respond to my point rather than going round in circles?

ReputationRep:
    Okay but you're still wrong.

Nop.

Neoliberalism is an economic ideology, it has nothing to do with being liberal. The word 'liberal' crops up in a lot of places but the meanings are NOT the same.

I don't particularly want to get into a semantics debate, but if you asked the common man on the street whether liberal = left, he would say yes. And yes, his opinion counts. Languages evolve, words change their meaning all the time - the public perception of the word 'liberal' has changed, whether you like it or not.
    Actually he'd probably say "Weren't they that lot who were with the Tories?" or something. Unfortunately the common (wo)man on the street isn't all that knowledgeable about politics.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well it seems we're having the argument anyway, even though you haven't actually got a point to make.

You could actually attempt to respond to my point rather than going round in circles?
    I've already explained my position, and I really can't be bothered to have a debate about linguistics right now.

ReputationRep:
    Mr speaker Birchington this language used by Aph surely needs to be put under review 'a ragtag bunch of political misfits brought together by a mutual hatred of the European Union'

ReputationRep:
    Some of you guys should try and debate irl, it would be pretty amusing to see your responses to the other person be:

Person A: Nope you're wrong.
    Person B: Nope you're wrong.
    Person A: Nope you're still wrong.
    Person B: Nope you're still wrong.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Left=/= liberal but in the house at least the more left you are on average the more liberal you are. But left is economic and liberal is social
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Some of you guys should try and debate irl, it would be pretty amusing to see your responses to the other person be:

Person A: Nope you're wrong.
    Person B: Nope you're wrong.
    Person A: Nope you're still wrong.
    Person B: Nope you're still wrong.
    *nop

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't believe you suggested UKIP was a 'ragtag group', tell us how you really feel anarchy Aph
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (see what I did there?)

ReputationRep:
    Good job; this is the sort of stuff it would be good to see more of in the Ad Hoc paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Mr speaker Birchington this language used by Aph surely needs to be put under review 'a ragtag bunch of political misfits brought together by a mutual hatred of the European Union'
    Come on, it was tongue in cheek, and does bring home the point that you a) contain two of the most extreme members in the house b) have a huge amount of variation in economic positions (a whopping 16 point spread) and c) that the main thing you have in common, alongside all being to some extent authoritarian, is opposition to the EU.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Its not something to get massively worked up about but mobbsy91 has a point. Whilst I appreciate a lot of work has been put in I don't think its to much to ask that people's names (and party names!) are spelt correctly. Otherwise it just lets an otherwise impressive record down.

Aph
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Its not something to get massively worked up about but mobbsy91 has a point. Whilst I appreciate a lot of work has been put in I don't think its to much to ask that people's names (and party names!) are spelt correctly. Otherwise it just lets an otherwise impressive record down.

Aph
    These things get to me :getmecoat::judge::scrooge:

ReputationRep:
    The way Aph just ignores the UKIP complaint....:giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Good work Aph, I don't think you've plotted me quite right on the graph though

I got -9.75 -7.3
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Good work Aph, I don't think you've plotted me quite right on the graph though

I got -9.75 -7.3
    I have a feeling I might've mixed you and the definate article up then? Sorry I will fix that tomorrow

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.