Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Yes! That's great news.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im back!

So....im driving down my local high street and i noticed a company of structural engineers.....anyhow i got home and found their website online and it turns out that they offer advanced level apprenticeships? How, if it all, would this route be beneficial for my particular situation?

I say my particular situation because i don't actually want a job when i leave uni, all i want is the Meng so i can resume self employment in 5 years time. Im thinking the apprenticeship isn't that suited for me?

Another thing.....after i heard back from the adviser at UCLAN letting me know what the tutor had said (informing me that i would be accepted onto the foundation) She suggested that i make direct contact with him should i have any questions. So i did, just basically asking him to confirm what had been said via the admissions lady, and he sort of skirted the question. I asked hime if he required a reference, and if so who would be suitable as i have never had an employer and i have not been to college, he said that a notable person in society would be acceptable.....well the thing is i do not know such a person. The only notable people i know are some clients....and my accountant.

The second question was really, just asking how the application works, does he now (after pre-approving me via my CV and extended profile) keep and eye out for my name cropping up?,because I'm worried that someone else will reject my application before it gets to him.

He didn't seem that interested in this question at all.....only to say that he believes that UCLAN have suitable staff that will deal with things as they should.....this makes me feel that all the pestering of the admissions staff i have been doing has all been pointless?!

But the lady that i dealt with from admissions did forward me the email that the tutor had sent her saying that i would be accepted....it was almost as if he wasn't prepared to acknowledge this?

I will be extremely annoyed if i get rejected, i would be seeking a meeting and taking a copy of the email with me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Is the apprenticeship engineering or CAD?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, i haven't asked any questions just noticed on their website that they have a vacancy for an apprentice....ive done some further reading and it seems it would take an age to reach an Meng qualification and many just stay and technician level.

I actually know the owner (in a round about way) of said company, so i may go and see him.

http://www.psadesign.co.uk/careers.php - the website in question.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It's possible the business might help fund your uni requirement at UCLAN - you'd need to have that conversation with the owner.

Re the reference - I'm sure your accountant would suffice, and s/he could solicit some suitably positive feedback from your clients too.

I can't really comment on the UCLAN admissions process - maybe double check with their office...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It appears to lead to a civil engineering technician position. I am not sure exactly what that entails, but my guess would be it is a CAD designer (used to be called draughtsmen back in the old days). Definitely worth finding out.

With an MEng qualification I don't think you'll stay at the technician level ... in fact I don't even think you'll ever be on the technician career path. A master of engineering qualification usually leads to a graduate/junior/entry level engineer position, not a technician.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denzel89)
    Im back!

So....im driving down my local high street and i noticed a company of structural engineers.....anyhow i got home and found their website online and it turns out that they offer advanced level apprenticeships? How, if it all, would this route be beneficial for my particular situation?

I say my particular situation because i don't actually want a job when i leave uni, all i want is the Meng so i can resume self employment in 5 years time. Im thinking the apprenticeship isn't that suited for me?

Another thing.....after i heard back from the adviser at UCLAN letting me know what the tutor had said (informing me that i would be accepted onto the foundation) She suggested that i make direct contact with him should i have any questions. So i did, just basically asking him to confirm what had been said via the admissions lady, and he sort of skirted the question. I asked hime if he required a reference, and if so who would be suitable as i have never had an employer and i have not been to college, he said that a notable person in society would be acceptable.....well the thing is i do not know such a person. The only notable people i know are some clients....and my accountant.

The second question was really, just asking how the application works, does he now (after pre-approving me via my CV and extended profile) keep and eye out for my name cropping up?,because I'm worried that someone else will reject my application before it gets to him.

He didn't seem that interested in this question at all.....only to say that he believes that UCLAN have suitable staff that will deal with things as they should.....this makes me feel that all the pestering of the admissions staff i have been doing has all been pointless?!

But the lady that i dealt with from admissions did forward me the email that the tutor had sent her saying that i would be accepted....it was almost as if he wasn't prepared to acknowledge this?

I will be extremely annoyed if i get rejected, i would be seeking a meeting and taking a copy of the email with me.
    Anyone who is not your freind/family can do your ucas reference. I had a guy who I went to college with, he did amazing A*A*A and I asked him to tutor me, he is in year 1 engineering and has written my reference. Just try and get talk to about how you can do well at uni like your accountant saying stuff like I believe he can succeed rather than one that just says you worked here for 10 years without talking about your motivation, capability and so on.

I hate it when they aren't very clear. Just keep asking until you are sure. No reason to not go because the staff are lazy. If they assure you, try get some sort of email confirmation and then if any trouble arises email them with the proof that they said you had a place.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally i need the MEng so i can work freelance, ill give the owner an email or a call and get some more details regarding the apprenticeship.

I think ill fire off another email to the admissions desk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskVsReward)
    Anyone who is not your freind/family can do your ucas reference. I had a guy who I went to college with, he did amazing A*A*A and I asked him to tutor me, he is in year 1 engineering and has written my reference. Just try and get talk to about how you can do well at uni like your accountant saying stuff like I believe he can succeed rather than one that just says you worked here for 10 years without talking about your motivation, capability and so on.

I hate it when they aren't very clear. Just keep asking until you are sure. No reason to not go because the staff are lazy. If they assure you, try get some sort of email confirmation and then if any trouble arises email them with the proof that they said you had a place.

Im going to email them now, it was a sort of unofficial pre-approval.....the admissions staff said that herself!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ideally i need the MEng so i can work freelance, ill give the owner an email or a call and get some more details regarding the apprenticeship.

I think ill fire off another email to the admissions desk.
    From the info you linked it looks like it would take a couple (?) of years to go through the Technician Apprenticeship, and then they might support you through the MEng. But it would certainly take more than 5 years..., however if they are funding it then that shouldn't be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From the info you linked it looks like it would take a couple (?) of years to go through the Technician Apprenticeship, and then they might support you through the MEng. But it would certainly take more than 5 years..., however if they are funding it then that shouldn't be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think uni is going to be a better fit tbh, but well see, ill follow it up.

The though of student debt doesn't bother me in the slightest and nor should it anyone else i don't think, What else can you borrow money for to the tune of 50k plus and repay only when you can afford it and at a ridiculously low rate.

Ive had business loans that amount to more than what your average student debt would be and your talking £1000.00 per month from the off, so a student loan sounds like a dream come true!! I didn't think it was that accessible until i started looking at all this at the beginning of this thread!

ReputationRep:
    I think uni is going to be a better fit tbh, but well see, ill follow it up.

The though of student debt doesn't bother me in the slightest and nor should it anyone else i don't think, What else can you borrow money for to the tune of 50k plus and repay only when you can afford it and at a ridiculously low rate.

Ive had business loans that amount to more than what your average student debt would be and your talking £1000.00 per month from the off, so a student loan sounds like a dream come true!! I didn't think it was that accessible until i started looking at all this at the beginning of this thread!
    I agree in a certain aspect. I am gonna be doing a foundation year and if I wasn't an idiot, I'd have chosen maths lol, point is for that mistake I will literally pay 9k, even if it does take time. Uni in total will cost me like 60k 4 years, maybe 5 with accommodation. If I had the chance to do a slightly later with a good discount, or even completely paid I'd 100% do it. Hell, I will also have exp to go with it. But you are right that uni will probably land you more quickly in a higher paying role, averaging about 24.5k/25k? So as long as you live out of London, you can pay your loans of relatively quickly, or simply take your time as it's better to see it as small tax.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to email them now, it was a sort of unofficial pre-approval.....the admissions staff said that herself!
    You can apply for both positions? 1 at the uni and 1 at the website. Hopefully the uni take you on but at least then you have a backup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskVsReward)
    You can apply for both positions? 1 at the uni and 1 at the website. Hopefully the uni take you on but at least then you have a backup.
    Good idea, I'm going to make contact with the Paul the owner and see what he advises, id rather just get the MEng tbh and then go and do my own thing. I may even ask my uncle who is also a structural engineer.

I really am looking for a freelance career when i graduate, working for myself is really important, its about the only thing in life i am reluctant to compromise on. Im assuming the apprenticeship route, should i take it, i would be obliged to stay on for the firm after i achieve the MEng......which i wouldn't be doing and if they got an inkling to my plans they would probably kick me out on the street!

ReputationRep:
    Also....regarding salary, i think 25k is on the low side.....im making calculations here based on occasionally employing professionals in my work.......a planning consultant charged £100.00 per hour, a landscape architect £35.00 per hour, a construction lawyer (i didn't employ this guy) but he charged £500.00 per hour!!!!!.....my uncle....more than the planning consultant

But, as a fresh graduate, id take 25k for the easier less physically demanding lifestyle that sort of work offers.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Also....regarding salary, i think 25k is on the low side.....im making calculations here based on occasionally employing professionals in my work.......a planning consultant charged £100.00 per hour, a landscape architect £35.00 per hour, a construction lawyer (i didn't employ this guy) but he charged £500.00 per hour!!!!!.....my uncle....more than the planning consultant

But, as a fresh graduate, id take 25k for the easier less physically demanding lifestyle that sort of work offers.
    I can understand where you are coming from

Just be aware that the student loan used to be very cheap but now is RPI+3%. It's still cheap, but much closer to standard commercial rates than before and RPI is only going to up in the near term.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Yes, but as a fresh graduate you're probably not going to go contract because when employing contractors firms are looking for people who can come in and do the job immediately, without requiring training. This takes at least a few years of experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes, but as a fresh graduate you're probably not going to go contract because when employing contractors firms are looking for people who can come in and do the job immediately, without requiring training. This takes at least a few years of experience.
    You maybe right, but i wouldn't be looking for work with such places, id be working with existing clients. One of which is my uncle..a structural engineer

ReputationRep:
    I can understand where you are coming from

Just be aware that the student loan used to be very cheap but now is RPI+3%. It's still cheap, but much closer to standard commercial rates than before and RPI is only going to up in the near term.
    Just though id update this as you took the time to help me out.....im in! i will be enrolling at clan come september. Thanks for your help!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Just though id update this as you took the time to help me out.....im in! i will be enrolling at clan come september. Thanks for your help!
    That's brilliant!

Which course did you settle on?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm still enrolling on the civil engineering MENG course but switching to building surveying at the end of year 0.

I have spoke to the uni and they said this is better as you can go to other courses from the meng but not from the building surveying.....on the off chance that i may take to the engineering side. I doubt it, but well see!

That's brilliant!

Which course did you settle on?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.