Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I think the statistics would offer a different view, plus I'm sure you know there's no smoke without fire. Modern Christians tend not to slit throats, blow themselves up in public places or wage wars ‘for their god’ and shout his name whenever they manage to kill the enemy (which includes yourself).

Rome wasn't built in a day and if we can make a step in the right direction, should we really be discouraged if we can't solve the issue in its entirety? We'd do very little if that were the case and I'm personally very much interested in addressing them.

No, it's not that they're culturally other. It's the fact that their culture is completely against our values and has no place in Europe, just like our culture isn't welcome in places where they come from. I think it's quite fair.
    And nor do the overwhelming majority of Muslims. I don't see how banning the Burqa would make any difference to religious extremism anyway, it may very well encourage it.

Yes but why is this always the first step on the far right crusade for women's rights? What have the French done to protect Muslim women after banning the burqa. The whole story reeks of the 'white man's burden', which we can all agree is a horribly outdated concept.

But it isn't completely against our culture. Britain has a very long history of immigration and it's our culture to accept that. This is no different to Eastern European Jews moving over during the pogroms, no different to Indians moving over after 1947 and no different to the West Indian immigrants in the 1950's. There were people at the time who would argue that their culture was 'completely against our values', but could you tell a third generation Jamaican that he doesn't belong here now? No, because over time they have taken up some of our cultural practices, and we have taken up some of theirs; we are now part of one culture.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)

"Barbarians, nazi scum!"

"They are just expressing their religious right."
    This quite literally makes absolutely no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Do you not feel it segregates you from other Brits. Not to mention the whole multicultural vs integration argument.

One can worship a spider as far as I'm concerned.. So long as they keep it in the home.
    I am a Brit. I was born and have lived my whole life in Britain. People from the same race can dress as they please and worship how theg choose to. Goths, gangster wannabes, 'geeks', nuns, sikhs, Jews, Christians, brides, etc dress in their own ways. Why can't Muslims dress as they please? Why are Muslims singled out?

And why are so many free British women choosing to wear the niqab?

I don't think you truly understand what the niqab is. It's freedom of speech and a sign of purity and chastity. A woman is judged on her intellect and character rather than her looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McRite)
    Edit: People have the choice to express their religious beliefs, we should at least respect that. I know the whole idea of this bill is to discriminate against Islam, but is doing a poor job of it. If you want to ban the burkha, please be honest about it, and at least make it more reasonable. There's 1.57 billion Muslims in the world, and 2.7 million in the UK, they're are not all freaking terrorists, they're not all suicide bombers waiting to destroy the world, I know that seems hard for some of you to believe, but it's true. Otherwise the world would be much different to how it is now. Don't you think it's this sort of alienation, and discrimination, is what pushes a minority to the extremists?
    The Burqa is not essential for Muslims. It is an attire that has been imposed to all Muslims thanks to Wahhabi propaganda. This sect is as malicious as the KKK for Christianity.

(Original post by maryammm)
    I wear the face veil and find people such as yourself petty and ignorant. Why is it offending to you if I want to be modest? This is ridiculous.
    You're not modest if you wear a full veil, you are implying that other people are ruthless brutes, since you need to hide from them, and a Wahabbi propaganda tool.

(Original post by thehistorybore)
    I really don't think you can compare religion to nudism.
    Both are beliefs that dictate your way of life.

(Original post by DMcGovern)
    The blatant racism here is hilarious; mainly the right wingers who've clearly never lived, learned or worked alongside many Muslims.
    How can you be racist towards a religion? It is a belief, something people chose to follow. They aren't born with it like their skin colour.

This quite literally makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Please explain why.

Apart from their uncanny similarity, both attires are used to differentiate the pure and the filth, both are used to promote an extreme ideology based on a religion.

ReputationRep:
    I am a Brit. I was born and have lived my whole life in Britain. People from the same race can dress as they please and worship how theg choose to. Goths, gangster wannabes, 'geeks', nuns, sikhs, Jews, Christians, brides, etc dress in their own ways. Why can't Muslims dress as they please? Why are Muslims singled out?

I don't think you truly understand what the niqab is. It's freedom of speech and a sign of purity and chastity. A woman is judged on her intellect and character rather than her looks.
    So women who don't wear the niqab are not pure and chaste?

ReputationRep:
    Has everybody so quickly forgotten Mary (peace be upon her) and the way she dressed? Why do brides traditionally wear the veil? Why did Christian women cover their heads not so long ago in Britain? Why do nuns dress so similarly to Muslim women?
    Christianity and Islam are two beams of light from the same source. One of them has corrupted over time while the other one will last until the Day of Judgement.

ReputationRep:
    Your suggesting that some Muslims are not racist to whites?
    Some Muslims are prejudiced against non-believers, a very small minority. The KKK is an inherently racist organisation. There's a difference.

ReputationRep:
    quran.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    The blatant racism here is hilarious; mainly the right wingers who've clearly never lived, learned or worked alongside many Muslims.

If only Bevan's social housing scheme hadn't been ****ed up by the Tories.....
    What racism? This bill applies to everyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity, so this bill is not singling anybody out.

How are you so sure that these "right-wingers" (there are people on the centre and the left who support this as well) have never lived, learned or worked alongside many Muslims?

ReputationRep:

This bill does not single anyone out. It applies to everyone, and not just Muslims. Under this bill, Muslims can wear anything that is not against the law, just like everyone else, so there is no discrimination. The reason why I am proposing this is for security reasons. If someone wears a balaclava to commit a crime, it would be a lot more difficult to identify the perpetrator, and this applies not the niqab and the burqa as well.

I agree with you that women should be judged on their intellect and character rather than their looks, so if that is the case, why should they need to obscure their face? And you do not have to wear some sort of face covering to remain pure and chaste. You could be impure and unchaste, but still use a face covering, so face coverings do not mean that you are pure and chaste. If you are pure and chaste, you would be confident in saying that you are without having to obscure your true self.

By the way, you do not need to wear a burqa or a niqab to respect the teachings of your religion. You can wear a hijab, which can also represent purity and chastity (unless you say that people who wear hijabs are not true Muslims).
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    He would be right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Are all whites racist against all other races too then?

ReputationRep:
    But it isn't completely against our culture. Britain has a very long history of immigration and it's our culture to accept that. This is no different to Eastern European Jews moving over during the pogroms, no different to Indians moving over after 1947 and no different to the West Indian immigrants in the 1950's. There were people at the time who would argue that their culture was 'completely against our values', but could you tell a third generation Jamaican that he doesn't belong here now? No, because over time they have taken up some of our cultural practices, and we have taken up some of theirs; we are now part of one culture.
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this, as I am strongly against multiculturalism. Immigrants to the UK should assimilate into British society and give up their old culture, or we may end up with a culture where Sharia law is acceptable. As for the your point about a third generation Jamaican, where did anyone say that a third generation Jamaican does not belong here if he grows up here and embraces British culture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    The Burqa is not essential for Muslims. It is an attire that has been imposed to all Muslims thanks to Wahhabi propaganda. This sect is as malicious as the KKK for Christianity.
    The burqa is not directly linked with violence, the KKK outfit is directly linked with violence.

ReputationRep:
    Has everybody so quickly forgotten Mary (peace be upon her) and the way she dressed? Why do brides traditionally wear the veil? Why did Christian women cover their heads not so long ago in Britain? Why do nuns dress so similarly to Muslim women?
    Christianity and Islam are two beams of light from the same source. One of them has corrupted over time while the other one will last until the Day of Judgement.
    None of them wore a full veil. Be sure that if some Christian sects wanted to impose a full veil to their believers, I would denounce them with the same strength.

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Some Muslims are prejudiced against non-believers, a very small minority. The KKK is an inherently racist organisation. There's a difference.
    Precisely, that "very small minority" are the one who force their wife and daughters to wear a full veil. You don't want to hear what they have to say about Jews and gays.

ReputationRep:
    The burqa is not directly linked with violence, the KKK outfit is directly linked with violence.
    Fair point, but the burqa is a face covering that makes it a lot more difficult for criminals to be identified after they have committed a crime, so it may encourage them to perform more violent acts if they know that it is unlikely police know who they are. The purpose of this bill is for security, and to make ensure that people do not use face coverings like balaclavas and burqas to increase their chance of getting away with a crime.

ReputationRep:
    The burqa comes from countries where the law punishes people with stones and whips for adultery or drinking alcohol. So I think it is also inherently violent.

Imo, wearing the burqa is a political act that aims to promote Wahhabism in the West. I don't want it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    None of them wore a full veil. Be sure that if some Christian sects wanted to impose a full veil to their believers, I would denounce them with the same strength.

Precisely, that "very small minority" are the one who force their wife and daughters to wear a full veil. You don't want to hear what they have to say about Jews and gays.
    Have you spoken to every single female muslim who wears a Burqa and asked why it is, and they have all said because their husband/father forces them to?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    The burqa comes from countries where the law punishes people with stones and whips for adultery or drinking alcohol. So I think it is also inherently violent.

Imo, wearing the burqa is a political act that aims to promote Wahhabism in the West. I don't want it.
    *looks at the scriptures the core tenants of western law is based off*
    oops...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    What racism? This bill applies to everyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity, so this bill is not singling anybody out.

How are you so sure that these "right-wingers" (there are people on the centre and the left who support this as well) have never lived, learned or worked alongside many Muslims?
    Because if you have read Life_peer's comment on Islam being a hateful religion and so on you would definitely know that they have never known properly a real Muslim person.

" This bill applies to everyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity, so this bill is not singling anybody out."
    Come on, this bill is from UKIP, one of the most bigoted parties there is.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.