Turn on thread page Beta

Announcement of HM Government and Cabinet watch

Announcements

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    There's a decent-enough brains' trust behind it so I sure hope it will.
    Yes you do have a good set of people up there.

(Original post by James Milibanter)
    Then there's the chance to have two completely contradictory budgets.
    Well the mid-term budget would surely be easier as you'd just follow the basis of the first one and modify it according to what actually passed etc. I don't blame you for not doing it, it's far too much effort.

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
    It's been our position right from the start, literally from before the Chancellor had even been decided.
    Well I suppose one in January is better than none at all; assuming you last that long of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Well I suppose one in January is better than none at all; assuming you last that long of course.
    Have some faith in us

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Have some faith in us
    I'll put the pitchfork down for now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Why third? There's the one at the beginning of last term and this one?

That's for me to know and you to find out.
    Oh wait yes second. I forgot the PM was Green when you first become Labour leader.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait for you to be removed and restall to see if third charm will indeed be the charm.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Oh wait yes second. I forgot the PM was Green when you first become Labour leader.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait for you to be removed and restall to see if third charm will indeed be the charm.
    Lol. I'm not too worried mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I'm not too worried mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So...When will Fez get the chance to become leader?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So...When will Fez get the chance to become leader?
    All party members (that meet certain unrestrictive criteria) are free to stand in party leadership elections which occur once every 6 months.

Whilst you perhaps don't like me(? I'm shocked!) you're slowly leaving the realm of being funny and entering the one of being rude. :/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Whilst you perhaps don't like me(? I'm shocked!) you're slowly leaving the realm of being funny and entering the one of being rude. :/
    Hear Hear!

Would all members of parliament please leave the salt for their fish and chips, and not carry it about the place.

ReputationRep:
    All party members (that meet certain unrestrictive criteria) are free to stand in party leadership elections which occur once every 6 months.
    How many elections have you successfully defended yourself in?

Whilst you perhaps don't like me(? I'm shocked!)
    I don't dislike you. Not Aph's dupe. But you seem to have been the leader for forever despite having been booted out of premiership. #Justive4Fez There are four Green leaders (not counting Aph) during your reign.

I'd say the same to Lp who's never left leadership despite having lost all those elections.

you're slowly leaving the realm of being funny and entering the one of being rude. :/
    I'm from a religious family, I'm bound to be meaner.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

I don't dislike you. Not Aph's dupe. But you seem to have been the leader for forever despite having been booted out of premiership. #Justive4Fez There are four Green leaders (not counting Aph) during your reign.

I'd say the same to Lp who's never left leadership despite having lost all those elections.

I have won two leadership elections (the second uncontested) and two confidence votes (which are also mandatory in my party due to rules I myself created). I am currently serving a second term as party leader and during this time I have lead the party into 3 General Elections (having been elected immediately before the first one).

If you read my Ad HoC article you'll see that I put myself to a confidence vote when that happened (for reasons that I don't particularly think were my fault - and we, if I may say so myself, were an excellent Opposition and indeed the most active party that term).

Many Labour leaders have served considerably longer than I plan to and a large part of what stopped me resigning last term was the fact that people such as yourself were rude enough to suggest I should in public and private. I will not be dictated to or bullied out. I have my plans and I will see them through. Indeed in the confidence vote I made the argument that for me to step down would be an admittance that Labour got it wrong were in fact we were working very hard and doing well. Much better I thought to be a most effective Opposition, win a general election and form a new government.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Hear Hear!

Would all members of parliament please leave the salt for their fish and chips, and not carry it about the place.
    Agreed, just because the honourable gentlemen's party has just managed to get its leadership situation under control doesn't mean he should start prying into ours.

ReputationRep:

I think in all honesty that committment to a sucessful leader even when things go against us, and the longevity and stability this provides, is most certainly a positive rather than a negative. We're all behind Ray, nobody's impatiently standing with the dagger asking for their turn.

ReputationRep:
    I have won two leadership elections (the second uncontested) and two confidence votes (which are also mandatory in my party due to rules I myself created). I am currently serving a second term as party leader and during this time I have lead the party into 3 General Elections (having been elected immediately before the first one).

If you read my Ad HoC article you'll see that I put myself to a confidence vote when that happened (for reasons that I don't particularly think were my fault - and we, if I may say so myself, were an excellent Opposition and indeed the most active party that term).

Many Labour leaders have served considerably longer than I plan to and a large part of what stopped me resigning last term was the fact that people such as yourself were rude enough to suggest I should in public and private. I will not be dictated to or bullied out. I have my plans and I will see them through. Indeed in the confidence vote I made the argument that for me to step down would be an admittance that Labour got it wrong were in fact we were working very hard and doing well. Much better I thought to be a most effective Opposition, win a general election and form a new government.
    Well, would you not say that it's fairly unconventional, by real-life standard, that a leader stays in the position after a lost election, a failed government, and another minority coalition? If you and your party think you should carry on, that's fine; but I don't think it's entirely out of the ordinary that people like myself are finding your continued reign something worth of questioning. As I've said, I'd say the same to Lp so this is not about you; I just simply can't be bothered to question the Opposition. I also don't think Aph should stay as Green DL, but I also can't be bothered to do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, just because the honourable gentlemen's party has just managed to get its leadership situation under control doesn't mean he should start prying into ours.
    *right honourable

*gentleman
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, would you not say that it's fairly unconventional, by real-life standard, that a leader stays in the position after a lost election, a failed government, and another minority coalition? If you and your party think you should carry on, that's fine; but I don't think it's entirely out of the ordinary that people like myself are finding your continued reign something worth of questioning. As I've said, I'd say the same to Lp so this is not about you; I just simply can't be bothered to question the Opposition. I also don't think Aph should stay as Green DL, but I also can't be bothered to do anything about it.
    Not at all by MHoC standards though. The lost election was, in fairness immediately after I was elected and a massive shock. Winning two elections after with 15 and 14 seats (very good even for Labour) is a pretty decent qualification in my mind. And there's nothing wrong with forming a minority coalition - it was a choice we made.

I don't really care what you can and can't be bothered to do, but this isn't the first time you've questioned me on this in bad taste. If you think I'm actually bad at my job you might as well say so explicitly.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    *right honourable
    You're lucky to have got honourable, let's not quibble over the minor details.

The plural was in recognition of your royal status.

ReputationRep:
    You're lucky to have got honourable, let's not quibble over the minor details.

The plural was in recognition of your royal status.
    It's either rt hon or nothing at all actually as I'm not an MP and am not planning on becoming one. That is, unless my father becomes a baron with no subsidiary titles for me or I get the highest honour from the HKSAR government. Both are looking a bit slim at the moment especially with the MUN being done away with.

But Your Highness perhaps you can recommend to Her Majesty to make papa a baron?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The government Q&A thread is now live.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.