The Student Room Group

History of Art Applicants 2015/16!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by repecca
I also applied to Exeter, UCL, Edinburgh and Oxford. I think Warwick'll be my firm choice though, the campus had a really nice atmosphere and a lot of internationals, plus of course the term spent in Venice sounds amazing :tongue:

I think it's fine to bring a parent, as long as you're not sticking together the whole time - they can stay behind during the campus tour etc. I had my dad come with me which was super helpful since I was really nervous and had no idea what to say to the staff/students, since it was the first uni/open day I attended :biggrin:

Are you waiting to hear from Oxford tomorrow? If so, good luck!
Reply 81
Rejection from Oxford :frown: I was pretty upset as i thought the interview went quite well-
but now got to look forward, hoping for reply from the Courtuald and St Andrews soon :smile:
Oh and huge Ravenclaw Harry Potter fan over here!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by VenetiaStanley
Are you waiting to hear from Oxford tomorrow? If so, good luck!

Nah, didn't even go to an interview, just straight rejected :biggrin:
Original post by 1sh
Rejection from Oxford :frown: I was pretty upset as i thought the interview went quite well-
but now got to look forward, hoping for reply from the Courtuald and St Andrews soon :smile:
Oh and huge Ravenclaw Harry Potter fan over here!

(This is also directed towards repecca)

Ravenclaw seems to be the house of choice among us art historians! I'm really sorry about Oxford. Just try to remember that you're still fabulous and intelligent and charming and that your life will go on, and you can and will achieve everything that you want to accomplish with or without Oxford. I'm waiting to here from Cambridge on Tuesday, so I know how you feel, if (when) I get rejected I'll just curl up and weep for a lifetime. :frown:
Reply 84

Ravenclaw seems to be the house of choice among us art historians! I'm really sorry about Oxford. Just try to remember that you're still fabulous and intelligent and charming and that your life will go on, and you can and will achieve everything that you want to accomplish with or without Oxford. I'm waiting to here from Cambridge on Tuesday, so I know how you feel, if (when) I get rejected I'll just curl up and weep for a lifetime. :frown:

Ahh, thanks! And the same applies to you whether you get an offer or not! I don't really mind as I finished my writing assignments the day before and just wanted to try since I had good enough grades :smile: It's not the end of the world after all!! I hope you receive good news on Tuesday then.

Also I'm not a hardcore hp fan but I get sorted into slytherin :tongue:
Reply 85
Venetia it'll be because we're all incredibly intelligent but creative at the same time :wink: and Repecca, I did too on Potter more, but every other quiz I've done has been Ravenclaw!!
Rejected by Oxford (post-interview) three days ago :frown:
And I still haven't heard from UCL (my first choice) and one of my friends has just received an offer (although she's applying history of art without material study)
Now I've got offers from Edingburgh, Manchester and Warwick, but I really want to go to UCL :frown:
Reply 87
Hey Cynthia, I've not heard from UCL either x
Reply 88

Aw thank you so much- this made me feel a lot better! Good luck with Cambridge, i'm crossing my fingers for you! I'm sure you will get in but if you don't i feel your pain- but trust me it feels so much better when the suspense is over! Plus you can always go for a masters! :biggrin:
Hey guys,
I'm a girl from Bulgaria, also hardcore potterhead, but I still haven't decided on a house, it's just too.. big of a decision, I can't. :biggrin: but maybe Gryffindor
I have a question: I'm doing my application last-minute and just fnished with my personal statement. Would any of you mind taking a look at it and sharing feedback - right now I am aiming to hear from as many people as possible so that I can perfect it. If you agree, I can PM or email it to you. It would be greatly appreciated! :smile:))
Reply 90
Hey, I've just broken my ankle pretty badly, so I have some time off school. I'll do it if you don't mind the feedback being slightly jumbled because of the strong painkillers I'm on :smile:
Original post by ValiaMarinova
Hey guys,
I'm a girl from Bulgaria, also hardcore potterhead, but I still haven't decided on a house, it's just too.. big of a decision, I can't. :biggrin: but maybe Gryffindor
I have a question: I'm doing my application last-minute and just fnished with my personal statement. Would any of you mind taking a look at it and sharing feedback - right now I am aiming to hear from as many people as possible so that I can perfect it. If you agree, I can PM or email it to you. It would be greatly appreciated! :smile:))

I also don't mind taking a look, PM me and I'll give you my email address.
Rejected by Cambridge, quite heart broken. Being invited to interview only gave me false hope, probably going to York now, although honestly I don't really care either way, I don''t want to go to any of my four other choices half as much as I wanted Cambridge. I just hate how generic and automated the rejection letter was; I wish they could have given me an honest, personal reason for my rejection other than all of the "we regret to inform you"/"we wish you every success" crap.
Reply 93
Oh babe, I'm so sad for you. They should definitely do that, especially if they know they're going to be breaking people's hearts :frown: on the bright side, you could be going to York with me! (Not very bright I know, but...) x
Hi guys, I can't remember if I posted anything on this thread before or not, but I'm Rosa :smile: My predicted grades are A,A,A,B - Art, History, Geography and English Literature.

I haven't fully made my mind up yet to where I want to apply to next year, but this year I am doing an art foundation at Leeds College of Art - I was just wondering are universities bothered about Foundations? I know Cambridge said they saw them as 'useful', whereas the Courtauld said that they didn't matter. Has/is anyone else done/doing a Foundation?

I looked at the Courtauld and wasn't too sure due to its small size :/ I really like the courses at UCL (particularly History of Art with Material Studies), Cambridge, Warwick, Glasgow and other places like Goldsmiths.

Venetia - I'm really sorry to hear that! A lot of people I know have been rejected from either Oxford or Cambridge for some quite ambiguous reasons. At least you can say you applied there! A lot of people/employers etc. will be really impressed by that.

What offers have you guys had and how quickly did they come back for each one?
Sorry I'm being nosy I just want to know the ins and outs for next year.

xx
Original post by FranScan97
Oh babe, I'm so sad for you. They should definitely do that, especially if they know they're going to be breaking people's hearts :frown: on the bright side, you could be going to York with me! (Not very bright I know, but...) x

I'm almost definitely going to be taking my York offer, so I maybe will be seeing you there next autumn! I would love to meet you, every cloud has its silver lining and all that.
Original post by donnamedrosa
Hi guys, I can't remember if I posted anything on this thread before or not, but I'm Rosa :smile: My predicted grades are A,A,A,B - Art, History, Geography and English Literature.

I haven't fully made my mind up yet to where I want to apply to next year, but this year I am doing an art foundation at Leeds College of Art - I was just wondering are universities bothered about Foundations? I know Cambridge said they saw them as 'useful', whereas the Courtauld said that they didn't matter. Has/is anyone else done/doing a Foundation?

I looked at the Courtauld and wasn't too sure due to its small size :/ I really like the courses at UCL (particularly History of Art with Material Studies), Cambridge, Warwick, Glasgow and other places like Goldsmiths.

Venetia - I'm really sorry to hear that! A lot of people I know have been rejected from either Oxford or Cambridge for some quite ambiguous reasons. At least you can say you applied there! A lot of people/employers etc. will be really impressed by that.

What offers have you guys had and how quickly did they come back for each one?
Sorry I'm being nosy I just want to know the ins and outs for next year.

xx

Thank you so much! It's the end of a dream for me, but life will go on. I have offers from York, Manchester, Bristol and Nottingham. I generally boycotted UCL/the Courtauld because I honestly couldn't afford to study in London. In regards to your art foundation, i have no idea how useful it would be, considering that fine art tends to be more of a practical subject, whilst HoA is more of a humanity subject? I suppose it helps but I don't think one needs to be a talented artist themselves to study Art History. If you do decide to apply for Cambridge next year, I would be delighted to help you, despite having been rejected. If you ever need any help/want to ask questions about personal statements, interviews, SAQ or anything, ask away!
Reply 97
I have to say that I can't actually afford London but I just thought "screw it, I'll go anyway", especially as I knew I wasn't going to apply for Oxbridge or St Andrews.
Is anyone going to the HoA open/visit days at York? Fran? I just booked one that's on 12/03/2016, I should probably go check it out now that it's most likely where I'll be going.
Reply 99
I'm probably not, as I'm going to the Warwick interview, and if I go to both, it'll be too expensive :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending