Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    If he has no problems with Romanians or migrants, why did he say that any normal person would be concerned if Romanians moved in next door?
    To acknowledge the general consensus is not necessarily to agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    All the Romanians I know are lovely people and I'd be very happy to have them as neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    To acknowledge the general consensus is not necessarily to agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're right, but the way he phrased it implied that he did agree with it. 'Any normal person' isn't exactly a neutral way of referring to the average Briton.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Actually come to think of it I only know a few Romanians and several Eastern Europeans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    All the Romanians I know are lovely people and I'd be very happy to have them as neighbours.
    I personally don't know any, but the limited interaction I've had with them suggests they're generally decent. It's sad though that the leader of Britain's third party feels it's okay to display their ethnic prejudices so openly.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I personally don't know any, but the limited interaction I've had with them suggests they're generally decent. It's sad though that the leader of Britain's third party feels it's okay to display their ethnic prejudices so openly.
    They are beautiful people.
    It's sad that UKIP is Britain's 3rd party...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    They are beautiful people.
    It's sad that UKIP is Britain's 3rd party...
    It is, but there are upsides. Here in the south, virtually every vote for Ukip is one which could have been for the Tories, which helps Labour's chances a bit in some areas.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It is, but there are upsides. Here in the south, virtually every vote for Ukip is one which could have been for the Tories, which helps Labour's chances a bit in some areas.
    True, every cloud I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I know three Romanian people. One is a computer science undergrad, one a maths undergrad, and one a chemistry PhD student, all in Oxford.

I don't think they fit Farage's stereotype tbh.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I know three Romanian people. One is a computer science undergrad, one a maths undergrad, and one a chemistry PhD student, all in Oxford.

I don't think they fit Farage's stereotype tbh.
    and I doubt they're the people he's talking about anyway

ReputationRep:
    Why did you ban my boy Malcom? :hmmm: This is a breach of freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    Why did you ban my boy Malcom? :hmmm: This is a breach of freedom of speech.
    Freedom of speech doesn't apply on private forums.

ReputationRep:
    The ones I've known are Romani, and we can all agree that they're trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Freedom of speech doesn't apply on private forums.
    If I get voted in this parliment ting do I get to change da rules? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    If I get voted in this parliment ting do I get to change da rules? :hmmm:
    No. To clarify, this is not the House of Commons of the United Kingdom, but rather that of thestudentroom.co.uk, a privately-owned forum, the House of Commons of which does not have any form of legislative supremacy except in some hypothetical alternate dimension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    I've met some lovely Romani and some nasty ones. Just like I've met some lovely English people and some nasty ones. No-one is 'trouble' by virtue of their ethnicity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Speak for yourself

ReputationRep:
    I've met some lovely Romani and some nasty ones. Just like I've met some lovely English people and some nasty ones. No-one is 'trouble' by virtue of their ethnicity.
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Speak for yourself
    It's a well known fact that Romani Gypsies make up a very large percentage of UK pickpockets, for example, despite their negligible share of the population.

ReputationRep:
    It's a well known fact that Romani Gypsies make up a very large percentage of UK pickpockets, for example, despite their negligible share of the population.
    So that unsubstantiated assertion means that all Romani must be bad because some are pickpockets, does it? That's like saying that all Irish people are violent because the vast majority of members of the IRA were Irish.

ReputationRep:
    source?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.