Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Outrage Over Martin Luther King Being Portrayed By A White Man watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    Adding a plus is offensive to all those who don't fall under the LGBTQIA category. Please expand your acronyms so that more people can feel like special little snowflakes
    That's not the point of the acronym. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asurat)
    When I first started reading "libtards who complain" I knew I would see James Bond and I knew I would laugh.
    I had EXACTLY the same reaction haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Square)
    That doesn't look much like Daniel Craig.
    Because it's not. It's what Fleming wanted his character Bond to look like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Because it's not. It's what Fleming wanted his character Bond to look like.
    Doesn't mean Bond forever needs to look like him. That illustration narrows the choices down intolerably.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, being black is pretty central to MLK's story.

Complaining that the 'black community' is being 'silenced' by this is a bit over the top, but the casting doesn't make all that much sense.

It's an artistic choice though, and people shouldn't moan about it, much less claim that all black people are being oppressed by that choice somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Unless you're claiming that Sean Connery, Niven, Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Brosnan and Daniel Craig are all doppelgangers of the picture you have posted, there is nothing more to discuss.
    Oh my god you genuinely do not understand how to comprehend the most basic logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    Do you not understand that MLK's core cause was for racial equality and this had been influenced by his experience as a black man?
    Yes. I know all about MLK. Your argument is irrelevant though. You don't tell me why a man with white skin can't play the part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Oh my god you genuinely do not understand how to comprehend the most basic logic.
    Could you explain where I failed "to comprehend the most basic logic"?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Could you explain where I failed "to comprehend the most basic logic"?
    Clearly it's not a question of how much someone's features are alike, clearly it is about race.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly it's not a question of how much someone's features are alike, clearly it is about race.
    Would Bond being black affect his ability to spy for his country?

ReputationRep:
    Would that not depend on whether it is day or night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Would that not depend on whether it is day or night?
    I guess during the day, a white Bond would be constantly having to apply suncream and constant hand movements may simply be too inconspicuous but he'll be okay for night time work.

Having said that, a black Bond would have no problem during the day and absolutely no issue with working nights so he gets my vote.

ReputationRep:
    What really matters is how did the guy perform.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a single crap if Bond is black. I think Idris Elba would make a great Bond, not that I'm really into the films any more. That's completely beside the point though. What the hell does this have to do with you not being able to distinguish between facial features and race? The point is that you are literally completely unable to think in any way cogently, and this latest comment only serves to further prove my point.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a single crap if Bond is black. I think Idris Elba would make a great Bond, not that I'm really into the films any more. That's completely beside the point though. What the hell does this have to do with you not being able to distinguish between facial features and race? The point is that you are literally completely unable to think in any way cogently, and this latest comment only serves to further prove my point.
    He says "What does facial features have to do with race"?

I suggest you take a look at some races, and then generalized facial features of people within that race, and then get back to me. Or not. I don't really mind either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    bruh... isn't it what he stood for that matters and not his skin colour? why you people gotta be like this man

why can't we live in harmony and stand for the same thing? we are all standing behind MLK and his message and we all have a dream no matter if we're Asian, White, Black, Mixed, Simpsons, idgaf - can't we function together as a race? I bet he would be pissed at you guys for this -_- smh

If it was the other way round and a white guy was represented by a black actor no one would say anything... why?
    What? What? Yes people would! There'd be outrage. I simply can't fathom as to how you've concluded this?!?

If there's outrage surrounding the possibility of Idris Elba (a black actor), portraying a fictional character (often portrayed by White actors), with overwhelming certainty, there'd be HUGE backlash if say, like many have mentioned, A Black actor or an actor of Jewish descent portrays the role of Hitler, for example.

The whole thing really just doesn't make sense. It doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    He says "What does facial features have to do with race"?

I suggest you take a look at some races, and then generalized facial features of people within that race, and then get back to me. Or not. I don't really mind either way.
    I'm not saying they aren't linked. The problem was that you didn't distinguish between race and facial features.

Again, please try to use logic to your best ability.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying they aren't linked. The problem was that you didn't distinguish between race and facial features.

Again, please try to use logic to your best ability.
    Because in the majority of cases, they are inherently linked.

Can you tell the difference between an Oriental and a white person from a black and white photograph?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoniC255)
    What? What? Yes people would! There'd be outrage. I simply can't fathom as to how you've concluded this?!?

If there's outrage surrounding the possibility of Idris Elba (a black actor), portraying a fictional character (often portrayed by White actors), with overwhelming certainty, there'd be HUGE backlash if say, like many have mentioned, A Black actor or an actor of Jewish descent portrays the role of Hitler, for example.

The whole thing really just doesn't make sense. It doesn't.
    If a black actor played Hitler it would be black people who'd complain. He's hardly someone white people are determined to cling on to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.