x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you believe in god? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Because my parents forced me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/31643

They are one of the rewards given to martyrs, yes. Not all men.

Who said anything about an orgy? And, not all 'Westerners' go clubbing and have sex. Non-Westerners could do the same, so I would count them as being in the same category. But these two things are sinful and sleazy to me, a Muslim, and I guess I spoke for most Muslims. The reason we are not allowed all of this in this life is because we are being tested, to see if we are worthy of heaven. We are obeying our Creator, like you would obey (or disobey) a parent. This life is full of sin. Heaven, however, is perfect - there is no sin.

Which questions?
    If God is all-knowing then what is the point in him carrying out these "tests"?
    What about not fulfilling desires makes one "worthy", anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is your question related to a "Personal God" or a defined concept to explain existence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Because doors don't open by themselves.

Mind blown:cool:
    Automatic ones do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rad Prince)
    Non-Muslims say the virgins are a reward for being a suicide bomber or a martyr, but actually a harem of houris is a reward for all men and 72 is the minimum.

Why is the afterlife allowed to be an orgy but not this life and if the afterlife is allowed to be an orgy, why do people think Westerners who go clubbing and having sex are sinful and sleazy?

In principle, I could be a Muslim, but nobody is able to address any of the questions I've asked throughout this thread without either telling me 'only God knows this'..
    You're right of course, it makes no sense. God will be rewarding the faithful with orgies and sex, which he has just sent people to hell forever for doing on Earth. It doesn't take a genius to see that this idea of heaven was conjured up by horny, sexually frustrated Arabs.

ReputationRep:
    That is the funniest video I've seen in a long time.

Here, I'll paste the actual video.

• Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    the universe started with a big bang, where all the mass and energy in the universe was just a single point of infinite density. since this point had infinite density and a very small volume, it must have had a lot of mass which means a lot of gravity. since Einstein's theory of relativity states that gravity creates a 'warp' in space-time, the more gravity the bigger the warp and thus time actually runs slower. at the time of the big bang there was so much mass that time was actually still. since time was created in the big bang there is no such thing as 'before the big bang' so there is no way that 'God' could have caused the big bang since there was no time for him to do it in.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in the CREATOR, and that is not just because of my religion. I tried day and night refusing to believe that HE exist, gathering information as much as I can, the deeper I went the more difficult it got to disprove HIS existence and to be honest things started to make sense after a while. No one can make you believe in your CREATOR, everyone must do their own research. The problem most people present is religion, first make yourself believe ina CREATOR then debate whats right and whats wrong about religion and how it is man made and stuff. Science never said that there cant be a CREATOR, infact most of the questions related to this topic are still unanswered but since people do not want to live in a certain way and bound themselves to religious obligations, they simply jump to conclusion since religion does not make sense thus GOD must be a delusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/31643

They are one of the rewards given to martyrs, yes. Not all men.

Who said anything about an orgy? And, not all 'Westerners' go clubbing and have sex. Non-Westerners could do the same, so I would count them as being in the same category. But these two things are sinful and sleazy to me, a Muslim, and I guess I spoke for most Muslims. The reason we are not allowed all of this in this life is because we are being tested, to see if we are worthy of heaven. We are obeying our Creator, like you would obey (or disobey) a parent. This life is full of sin. Heaven, however, is perfect - there is no sin.

Which questions?

Not so actually. All men get virgins if they get into paradise, not just fighters who die in battles

"The smallest reward for the people of paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, of which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyyah to Sana'a." Surah Al-Rahman 55, verse 72.

I wasn't accusing you of being prejudiced towards Westerners, I just meant I don't understand how someone can hold the belief that sex before marriage is sinful and sleazy when the afterlife seems pretty much based on sex with tonnes of these houris. It doesn't really explain why having tonnes of sex in this life is bad, but not in the next life to just say there is no sin in heaven so it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Warrior Gene)
    I believe in the CREATOR, and that is not just because of my religion. I tried day and night refusing to believe that HE exist, gathering information as much as I can, the deeper I went the more difficult it got to disprove HIS existence and to be honest things started to make sense after a while. No one can make you believe in your CREATOR, everyone must do their own research. The problem most people present is religion, first make yourself believe ina CREATOR then debate whats right and whats wrong about religion and how it is man made and stuff. Science never said that there cant be a CREATOR, infact most of the questions related to this topic are still unanswered but since people do not want to live in a certain way and bound themselves to religious obligations, they simply jump to conclusion since religion does not make sense thus GOD must be a delusion.
    the more you probe you more you realise that there is no need for a creator. a creator is just an unnecessary complication
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    You're right of course, it makes no sense. God will be rewarding the faithful with orgies and sex, which he has just sent people to hell forever for doing on Earth. It doesn't take a genius to see that this idea of heaven was conjured up by horny, sexually frustrated Arabs.
    Perhaps it's a lesson in delayed gratification? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Because somehow i dont believe the world was created on it own and because i love my religion

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    the universe started with a big bang, where all the mass and energy in the universe was just a single point of infinite density. since this point had infinite density and a very small volume, it must have had a lot of mass which means a lot of gravity. since Einstein's theory of relativity states that gravity creates a 'warp' in space-time, the more gravity the bigger the warp and thus time actually runs slower. at the time of the big bang there was so much mass that time was actually still. since time was created in the big bang there is no such thing as 'before the big bang' so there is no way that 'God' could have caused the big bang since there was no time for him to do it in.

Nothing you can say can prevent me from proving you wrong, unless you agree with the above statement. there is no denying it, and yet you continue to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I am GOD.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Because I am trying to prove to the stupid people that they believe in made up fairy tales
    centuries ago before man could explain why there was thunder and lightning, they made gods that could control it to make the world less scary.
    so god is just a fairy tale to stop children being scared in a storm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)

Nothing you can say can prevent me from proving you wrong, unless you agree with the above statement. there is no denying it, and yet you continue to do so.
    There was something that caused it. I don't say it is god ,I believe string theory can give the best answers to this question.
    The reason for all this and far beyond the universe must be really strange, but I believe that there will be a valid scientific reason (just as lightnings which were considered that god created them,because their nature was strange)

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    There was something that caused it. I don't say it is god ,I believe string theory can give the best answers to this question.
    The reason for all this and far beyond the universe must be really strange, but I believe that there will be a valid scientific reason (just as lightnings which were considered that god created them,because their nature was strange)
    yes there must have been something that caused the big bang that did not have a cause itself. I call this 'quantum fluctuations'.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by these posts it kind of makes me feel a bit sorry for people that are religious (I know full well you don't want my pity and are happy living your lives the way you want, I'm not trying to change your view it's just an observation). It seems like the only reason people believe in a the majority of religions is due to cultural indoctrination or the inability to comprehend the lack of a greater meaning in life. This is the life we have, as all other living organisms do, we are born, we live, we die, yes we are able to spell and write and understand the concept of a God unlike other organisms, but that does not infer existence of one. Live the life you have however you want it, but for God's sake (no pun intended!) try and enjoy it and don't worry about any made up religious consequences. Also try and remember as crazy as mormonism and scientology sound they have the EXACT same basis in fact that more traditional religions have, they're all based on storybooks written by men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    yes there must have been something that caused the big bang that did not have a cause itself. I call this 'quantum fluctuations'.
    I can't think or imagine anything which is not in the universe. I'm just a beginer in physics who can barely understand the concept of higher dimensions, but I want to become a (mathematical)physicist SO MUCH : it's like discovering the real 'Truth' .
    Science can offer to human kind an enormous power and knowledge much more than any religion ,I just don't understand why they don't believe in it.
    However, I don't think that religion is only for stupid people(as you previously mentioned somehow). It has to do with human psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I think they just scared of thunder

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.