Honestly, why do people even stress about getting a 2:1 in 2016? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    God this thread's responses are so TSR.

2.1 or might as well be dead.

ReputationRep:
    You show up to class, regurgitate what is said to you in coursework, and get a 2.2

Nothing is 'wrong' with getting C's in GCSE's and A-Levels, but honestly, if lets say you were given ONE overall grade for your GCSE's and A-Levels, who would really be happy with getting an overall of a C?

Assuming:
    1st = A
    2.1 = B
    2.2 = C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    God this thread's responses are so TSR.

2.1 or might as well be dead.
    Not 'may as well be dead', but aim high. If you don't achieve quite what you were aiming for, at least give it your best shot.

These are the classification grades. Why would you be aiming for an overall below 60%?:

Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1, 2.i) (60-70%) (OPEN UNIVERSITY 70-85%) Lower Second-Class Honours (2:2, 2.ii) (50-60%) (OPEN UNIVERSITY 55-70%) Third-Class Honours (Third or 3rd) (40-50%) (OPEN UNIVERSITY 40-55%) Ordinary degree (pass) (OPEN UNIVERSITY AWARDED AT 300 CATS POINTS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KungPooPanda)
    You show up to class, regurgitate what is said to you in coursework, and get a 2.2

Nothing is 'wrong' with getting C's in GCSE's and A-Levels, but honestly, if lets say you were given ONE overall grade for your GCSE's and A-Levels, who would really be happy with getting an overall of a C?

Assuming:
    1st = A
    2.1 = B
    2.2 = C
    True but getting a a at university standard is not the same as at school/6th form/ college. Maybe you use mother's little helper (wikipedia)? And which university did you graduate from king poo?

ReputationRep:
    Get a 1st you untermensch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    True but getting a a at university standard is not the same as at school/6th form/ college. Maybe you use mother's little helper (wikipedia)? And which university did you graduate from king poo?
    No i know that its not 'the same', but the principle is all the same, what does a 2.2 say about you? 'that you went to university and got a degree', anyone can do that, same thing that people say when you basically 'just' pass your exams with C's, they will say well done, but will probably never ask or wonder about how hard you worked, and they will always try their hardest not to give that look of - 'oh, i'm sorry for asking' like they have just asked you about something you are embarrassed about

I just dont see why anyone would not aim for atleast a 2.1. If your going to university, what are you going for?

If your going because you think it will increase employability - then open your eyes and smell the cofee, most of the decent employers that grads are going for will require 2.1's, since so many people get 2.1's nowadays, getting anything lower doesn't do you any favours does it?

If your going because of your thirst for knowledge and passion for learning - chances are you will work your ass off and a 2.1 will be WELL within reach

in MY opinion - 2.2's for the most part, are for people who go to university because they are just 'following the motions' of school>college>uni, for the people who aren't really THAT interested in being at uni, probably only there because their parents expect them to be

and i went to Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    No i know that its not 'the same', but the principle is all the same, what does a 2.2 say about you? 'that you went to university and got a degree', anyone can do that, same thing that people say when you basically 'just' pass your exams with C's, they will say well done, but will probably never ask or wonder about how hard you worked, and they will always try their hardest not to give that look of - 'oh, i'm sorry for asking' like they have just asked you about something you are embarrassed about

I just dont see why anyone would not aim for atleast a 2.1. If your going to university, what are you going for?

If your going because you think it will increase employability - then open your eyes and smell the cofee, most of the decent employers that grads are going for will require 2.1's, since so many people get 2.1's nowadays, getting anything lower doesn't do you any favours does it?

If your going because of your thirst for knowledge and passion for learning - chances are you will work your ass off and a 2.1 will be WELL within reach

in MY opinion - 2.2's for the most part, are for people who go to university because they are just 'following the motions' of school>college>uni, for the people who aren't really THAT interested in being at uni, probably only there because their parents expect them to be

and i went to Liverpool
    what degree did you get in liverpool panda, and was it an honours degree. I'm sorry to say this but i have had to work my socks off, attending virtually 100% of the lectures, never cheating once, and doing most of the reading, and the fact that there is now a good chance that i will get a 2.1, is more down to good luck that i get on with my dissertation supervisor, and that he has agreed to read my dissertation draft cover to cover on more than one occasion, rather than any such thing as how much work i have put in. Like i said i have worked my socks off for the past five years, and last year my mode average was a third, not because i didn't put the work in, but because i didn't cheat i think okay?

Sorry to confuse you

ReputationRep:
    what degree did you get in liverpool panda, and was it an honours degree. I'm sorry to say this but i have had to work my socks off, attending virtually 100% of the lectures, never cheating once, and doing most of the reading, and the fact that there is now a good chance that i will get a 2.1, is more down to good luck that i get on with my dissertation supervisor, and that he has agreed to read my dissertation draft cover to cover on more than one occasion, rather than any such thing as how much work i have put in. Like i said i have worked my socks off for the past five years, and last year my mode average was a third, not because i didn't put the work in, but because i didn't cheat i think okay?

Sorry to confuse you
    not confusing, and let me be dead honest, if you do all that you can and you don't get a 2.1, i wont look down on you, but in the context of this conversation where OP asked why do people struggle, i don't think there is any point going to university if you are not working towards a 2.1, i wouldn't tell someone on track to get a 2.2/3rd to drop out and kill themselves, that would be a waste, but i personally would've done all i could to not get anything lower than a 2.1, nonetheless, i respect work ethic as long as its there

and ULTIMATELY, i believe that with or without a degree, if you work hard and keep your head down, you will get places, i just believe that if you intend to do it through academia (especially with a 30k+ debt), then make it count for as much as possible while your there

I did business and law (honours), and my third year i worked harder than i could've ever imaged, managed to up an average grade of around 58% at the end of my 2nd year to an average of 69.3 (Around that) at the end of year 3 and they pushed it up to a 1st, and getting my foot into the door was still a problem for me, and ill admit, i went to university because i was 100% confident that a good grade would land me a good job, which it didnt do

but what i am fairly confident of, is that if me and another person apply for the same job, and the first thing we are looking to point out to a potential employer is that we are 'recent graduates', if we both have pretty much the same background, i have more chance of getting a call back than the person with the 2.2/3rd, and thats a position i never really wanted to be in, employers just instantly looking over my CV or me being screened out super early in application processes because of my degree grade

ReputationRep:
    you did well then huh. btw what is your credit limit, combined? mine is 4.6 k i think atm

ReputationRep:
    you did well then huh. btw what is your credit limit, combined? mine is 4.6 k i think atm
    credit limit?

ReputationRep:
    simply put, a 2.1 from some universities is easier to obtain than a 2.2 from others and also depends on the course taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katalyze90210)
    simply put, a 2.1 from some universities is easier to obtain than a 2.2 from others and also depends on the course taken.
    this is definitely true, some of the work that my friends in essex/london were submitting and getting 60-65%'s on wouldn't have got them more than a 55 with some of my lecturers lol

ReputationRep:
    this is definitely true, some of the work that my friends in essex/london were submitting and getting 60-65%'s on wouldn't have got them more than a 55 with some of my lecturers lol
    on your credit cards, if you even have one??

ReputationRep:
    on your credit cards, if you even have one??
    thats random, why do you ask?

i dont have a credit card, the only time ive had one was when i was like 18, i got a ridiculously high APR one and my aunt literally made me snap it before i had even signed it, didnt know anything at all about credit cards at the time lol

the closest thing i have to a credit card is a £600 overdraft facility

ReputationRep:
    thats random, why do you ask?

i dont have a credit card, the only time ive had one was when i was like 18, i got a ridiculously high APR one and my aunt literally made me snap it before i had even signed it, didnt know anything at all about credit cards at the time lol

the closest thing i have to a credit card is a £600 overdraft facility
    That's good, well i have a £2000 student account, and three other cards , with another £2600 between them. Why didn't you get a student current account when you were doing your degree? I thought that was standard practice??

ReputationRep:
    That's good, well i have a £2000 student account, and three other cards , with another £2600 between them. Why didn't you get a student current account when you were doing your degree? I thought that was standard practice??
    I did, i had a student account with a £1200 interest free overdraft

why would you want so many credit cards?

and not everyone goes for a student account, theres really not that much special about them, the most attractive thing is an interest free overdraft

ReputationRep:
    I did, i had a student account with a £1200 interest free overdraft

why would you want so many credit cards?

and not everyone goes for a student account, theres really not that much special about them, the most attractive thing is an interest free overdraft
    what happened to your student account. You know your credit score actually goes up the higher your total overdraft limit is?

I can help you get a free elibility check to see if you are eligible for a credit card with capital one, a good internet bank, if you are interested??

ReputationRep:
    what happened to your student account. You know your credit score actually goes up the higher your total overdraft limit is?

I can help you get a free elibility check to see if you are eligible for a credit card with capital one, a good internet bank, if you are interested??
    I wanted an account that comes with phone and laptop insurance, so when my course was over i just went back to my original account, i went three years without my stuff being insured and i actually hated the feeling of insecurity lol

i wouldnt want a credit card, id probably spend for no reason and end up regretting it

ReputationRep:
    I wanted an account that comes with phone and laptop insurance, so when my course was over i just went back to my original account, i went three years without my stuff being insured and i actually hated the feeling of insecurity lol

i wouldnt want a credit card, id probably spend for no reason and end up regretting it
    it's true that a credit card isn't like a current account. they don't tell you how much you owe on the atm, so it is important you keep a close track on your finances, or at least remember how much you owe on it, so you don't go over the limit.

And if you have access to the internet you can register and check your balance online, but bearing in mind that it takes at least 2 days for any transactions to register, and you must try very hard never to go overdrawn.

If you think you can manage all of these things, feel free to click on this link. And also bearing in mind that any actual credit application does harm your score, in the short term at least. But in the long term, a bigger limit, is looked on favourably by the uk banks.

Here is the link. As you can see to check your elibility won't affect your score and report, it is only when you make the actual application, that they will *temporarily* go down.http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditca...ty-checker.jsf

ReputationRep:
    john2054, how have you turned this thread into a private financial consultation :lol:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.