Turn on thread page Beta

would you be upset with this valentines gift? watch

ReputationRep:
    Your gift doesn't sound much better tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    Ive been with my boyfriend a year and this is our first valentines, I got my boyfriend a moonpig card and a book that i personalised all about him from https://thebookofeveryone.com/uk and i got him some lindt chocolates

he got me a little notebook set: http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/mi.../9781849942911 which i do appeciate as i study something art based and i love the colouring books by the same brand.

however i didnt get a card and i didnt get anything valentines related. I know you dont give to receive but i cant help but feel a little sad that he only grabbed me a last minute gift for the sake of having something to give to me.

am i being selfish? how would you feel if you was in my position?
    I'm a guy and the fact that he didn't get you a card or anything Valentine's related makes me (just a little bit) upset - it's as if he didn't really think about you as much as he should have, at Valentine's day no less - still, that doesn't mean he's bad - it just seems like maybe he's absent minded. You should tell him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    So basically you're upset that he put thought into a present and bought something related to your interests, instead of getting generic Valentine's Day stuff like a card and chocolates? Seriously, think twice about what you're saying. You may have payed more, but that doesn't make your presents better. The book can be personalised, same with the card, but honestly he'll probably never look at them again. Holiday specific presents are bad because of that. He clearly put more thought into the gift by NOT getting a card and chocolates.
    This lol.

ReputationRep:
    You are the exact reason why there is so much pressure for couples regarding public holiday gifts. High maintenance much.

If you are get so down about not receiving what you want (like a card) why don't you ASK him for one, as a guy he will a lot more relieved to hear what you actually want for v.day,b.day,xmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I thought you were engaged?

I don't think there was enough effort with the present just on its own, but its a bit more personal than just flowers or chocolates and with a nice card and something else would have been quite thoughtful.
    with the engaged part its a very long and complicated story haha but yeah i know what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_tinie_D)
    You are the exact reason why there is so much pressure for couples regarding public holiday gifts. High maintenance much.

If you are get so down about not receiving what you want (like a card) why don't you ASK him for one, as a guy he will a lot more relieved to hear what you actually want for v.day,b.day,xmas.
    you clearly havent read the rest of this thread then have you, ****ing hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)
    Your gift doesn't sound much better tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (54.6 KB)

ReputationRep:
    Gosh you really do sound high-maintenance. He got you a nice gift (when he didn't have to get you a single thing, Valentine's Day is a joke) that involved him thinking about what you like, why are you complaining? He's also bought you gifts for Christmas and your birthday, and you're still not grateful. Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    if you are in love then gifts do not matter.

ReputationRep:
    i got a bottle of pink champagne (because i like pink), a card and two pandora charms (the pig has a special meaning for us) that we went to town to get (he didnt buy them prehand) and im not bothered that it wasnt anything extravagent (yes i know i spelt it wrong)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbNBFIUW0AA0nUY.jpg:large

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day....talk about being ungrateful! It's not the gift that counts ffs but it's the gesture of him getting you something as a little "thank you for being there for me" that matters. He doesn't have to get you anything.

I hope he gives you dust next time.....this mentality absolutely grinds my gears arghh :lol:
    http://creepbay.com/wp-content/uploa...-of-dust-2.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMaster1)
    That's just mean?
    How is it mean? Get a ****ing grip.

How was that post in any way relevant to the OP? If that is an issue causing him trouble he should make his own thread crying about being single.

(Original post by xobeauty)
    Maybe he's just not a good gifter how are his other gift ideas? Guys lack common sense.
    So true :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    you clearly havent read the rest of this thread then have you, ****ing hell
    If you explicitly said just as bluntly as this - I want a card for valentine's - and he still didn't get you one then you must be dating an utter moron. Otherwise I don't see why you have reason to complain given that he got you something and not something generic at that.

You sound like a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    I understand how you feel, you put in a lot of effort and got him a very thoughtful, personalised gift. Whereas he got you something general, a gift that could be given to a regular friend, let alone a girlfriend. However, at least he gave you a gift I've been with my partner for over a year and I haven't received any gifts from him (except this one time when he got me flowers, chocolate and a card which was very random and so romantic of him). It sucks not having a romantic gift given to you, but hey, at least you got something. No ones perfect, he probably didn't think it through that you'd be upset with his choice of gift. I've come to realise, people hold different amounts of importance on occasions like Valentine's. To some of us, it's a very special occasion where we expect to be treated very well (I don't mean being bought expensive gifts, but more of having a day of romance), and to others it's just another regular day.

All in all, you had a better Valentine's Day than me OP. It's not that bad. Talk to him about it and maybe next year or on your birthday he'll put more effort in getting you a gift he'll know will mean a lot to you

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd know I shouldn't be but yeah because it would make me feel a bit unappreciated but I dunno, if it was a birthday or Christmas I'd probably be genuinely annoyed but Valentine's day? Not sure it would bother me too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if you are in love then gifts do not matter.
    Preach bear
    :borat:

its better than the torn condom i got

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should let him know that you care about things like the cards and all.. maybe he just didn't realise....

ReputationRep:
    I spent just under £100 on my gf for 3 years. She was a little ungrateful -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    If you explicitly said just as bluntly as this - I want a card for valentine's - and he still didn't get you one then you must be dating an utter moron. Otherwise I don't see why you have reason to complain given that he got you something and not something generic at that.

You sound like a nightmare.
    you see, i literally said that to him, i also put that im still grateful for the gift, you sound like you cant read

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.