(Original post by Quamquam123)
    Whatever you say...
    Quamquam for Chancellor!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    They have a point. Israel would never stand by and let Iran have nuclear weapons. If it got to a point where there's sufficient evidence that Iran possessed nukes, Israel, and probably the US, would long have bombed the hell out of the country.
    Fair enough. At least you are a member of the MHoC (unlike some of the random people who have just been attacking me)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Quamquam for Chancellor!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you Jammy. I am a keen economist but I'm not sure my budgets would be as long as Milibanter's.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thank you Jammy. I am a keen economist but I'm not sure my budgets would be as long as Milibanter's.
    I was more meaning your rejection of the notion that you're wrong without justification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. At least you are a member of the MHoC (unlike some of the random people who have just been attacking me)
    Are you suggesting MPs should not be held to account for their foolish prognostications?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sorry who are you???
    It's also worth noting that the person you asked is an MP...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Are you suggesting MPs should not be held to account for their foolish prognostications?
    There is no holding to account of much of the house, you try to hold them to account and they merely assert correctness rather than showing either their own correctness or the error of the challenger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's also worth noting that the person you asked is an MP...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For which party?

ReputationRep:
    For which party?
    Are you a broken record? Jesus Christ.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    For which party?
    You do realise people have this thing called a "profile page", on said page is al list of all their groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You do realise people have this thing called a "profile page", on said page is al list of all their groups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright. No need to get tetchy. ☺

ReputationRep:
    Sorry who are you???
    Someone who knows what they're talking about, whereas you clearly are someone who does not, and then have the audacity to rudely insist that you're correct.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Petition to declare war on ISIS
    Petition to declare war on ISIS
    This petition calls on the Government to make a formal declaration of war on ISIS.

Nay, I do not support the declaration, as I do not think we should go further than airstrikes. I think we shouldn't be getting involved in Syria.

The reason why Russia is involved in Syria is simple. Bomb schools, hospitals and support an opressive regime, this causes a migrant crisis. This leaves loads of people heading for Europe.

It is a way of sanctioning Europe in retaliation for our sanctions. Also, we cannot blame the Russians for it, as there is no hard proof.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by balanced)
    Nay, I do not support the declaration, as I do not think we should go further than airstrikes. I think we shouldn't be getting involved in Syria.

The reason why Russia is involved in Syria is simple. Bomb schools, hospitals and support an opressive regime, this causes a migrant crisis. This leaves loads of people heading for Europe.

It is a way of sanctioning Europe in retaliation for our sanctions. Also, we cannot blame the Russians for it, as there is no hard proof.
    The reason Ryssia are involved is to help Assad who can then help the Russians gain influence in the area. There's no proof or real reason to weaken Europe in the ways you're mentioning.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    The reason Ryssia are involved is to help Assad who can then help the Russians gain influence in the area. There's no proof or real reason to weaken Europe in the ways you're mentioning.
    An influx of 1 million plus people into Europe in a few years? That would weaken Europe politically, it already is, the more refugees and migrants there are, the more tension there is. It's an opportunity for politicians, they will take it. Then, Europe is not united, one disadvantage of a disorganised EU? It can't stand up to Russia aswell, even I will admit that.

So, he sanctions Europe whilst making them unable to stand up well to him as well.

My little conspiracy theory, believe it or not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Mr. Speaker I would like to withdraw this petition as it's no longer needed.

ReputationRep:
    Point of order: I do not believe petitions are capable of being withdrawn. Contrast http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ment#Petitions with http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Document#Bills
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Point of order: I do not believe petitions are capable of being withdrawn. Contrast http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ment#Petitions with http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Document#Bills
    There isn't anything in there saying that they can't be withdrawn, so I don't think so. But seeing as the Government has fulfilled what the petition asks for, it means that the debate has been moved and that a vote isn't required, therefore making this petition redundant. If there was ever a reason to withdraw a petition then it would be this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    There isn't anything in there saying that they can't be withdrawn, so I don't think so. But seeing as the Government has fulfilled what the petition asks for, it means that the debate has been moved and that a vote isn't required, therefore making this petition redundant. If there was ever a reason to withdraw a petition then it would be this.
    Yeah fair point. I'll submit an amendment to make this the case.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Frank Underwood)
    There is so much wrong with this.

1. ISIS is not a significant threat to the West. Worse terrorist groups of greater capability have existed for decades in times of worse domestic security. There has not actually been an ISIS-affiliated attack on British soil. Our security is much better than that of France. The two deadliest ISIS attacks on the West (Metrojet bombing and Paris attacks) killed less than one eighth of the death toll of Al-Qaeda's single deadliest attack on 9/11. So if you're going to say that we should formally declare war on ISIS, that would mean that we are insulting our actions against Al-Qaeda, al-Shabab, Boko Haram, and other terrorist groups which have done worse things. ISIS are governing in Syria, they are a terrorist group, but they are not the bloodthirsty killers in Boko Haram and al-Shabab who ruthlessly punch at a weak developing country. ISIS is a lesser threat to the west, and in comparison to other terror groups, less significant.

2. We should not get involved in the Middle East. This is a battle for the religion of Islam, Muslims in the Middle East should rise up and defend their religion, and they should themselves claim that ISIS is NOT true Islam. When it becomes a USA vs ISIS, or UK vs ISIS, or The West vs ISIS, we will NEVER EVER win that war. Vietnam proved that the West can never wipe out an army on their home soil, no matter how much firepower is used. ISIS will simply run into the mountains and conduct terror attacks as if nothing happened.

3. Assad is the bigger threat, and the source of the humanitarian crisis. Assad needs to be removed and prosecuted BEFORE ISIS, the 'Islamic State' spawned out of the chaos of the war that Assad fuelled, and there's no reason to think that ISIS would be the last extreme group, another would form after their 'defeat', even if defeating them is possible. Destroying ISIS will do nothing to stop the humanitarian crisis which is currently crippling the EU.

4. Declaring war on ISIS takes NO steps towards peace in Syria. We need to resolve the conflict peacefully and put in a government that everyone wants. Destroying ISIS will only remove them from the game, it won't get us any closer to reaching an agreement in Syria.

5. ISIS can't be defeated. While they can be removed from al-Raqqah and other cities, and have their territory reduced. They will always exist, just like Al-Qaeda who ran into the mountains. We will still experience 'Paris-style attacks' no matter how small ISIS becomes because the people who carry out these attacks are mostly foreign nationals inspired by ISIS>

6. Declaring war on ISIS is a massive propaganda victory for them. They want the west to go into an all-out conflict with them because they believe that all Muslims will rise up in defence and join them. Although this is not true, that's what they believe and they still want us to bomb them. Look at what previous ISIS hostages have said, they want this to be a 'west vs ISIS' conflict.
    Although I do agree with you, I fail to see an alternate way to destoy ISIS. We could have used LINDA but she dropped out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.