Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When do you think the downfall of music started? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malware)
    You're discussing the easier accessibility of music. OP is concerned about the quality....

and yes it easier to get music. So it's easier to push the crap out and sell higher, right.
    No, it's easier for artists with little to no commercial success to put out their music. The quality is there, but you do need to dig around...

ReputationRep:
    around 15 years ago ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)

Ok well in all fairness the video above is only from 2000-2013 and only songs that reached no.1. But for the past couple of years popular music has seemed to....deteriorate... I mean in my opinion the songs up until 2012 in the video were of good quality, but then it all seemed to fall apart...
    Of course everyone has their own opinions and may be a fan of music released now...but when I talk to some people they do comment on the downfall of music.
    Again it varies from person to person but....
    I dunno I thought it would be an interesting topic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Tastes change man, but I like to think music is in a continuous cycle and that enough people crave throwback songs that those styles will come back, or influence the next generation of musicians. That said my answer to these types of debates is that good music is always around, you just have to search for it, or alternatively if you're not happy with this generation then listen to your throwback records to your heart's content!

(Original post by Tom78)
    Tastes change man, but I like to think music is in a continuous cycle and that enough people crave throwback songs that those styles will come back, or influence the next generation of musicians. That said my answer to these types of debates is that good music is always around, you just have to search for it, or alternatively if you're not happy with this generation then listen to your throwback records to your heart's content!
    True...
    Maybe one day people will listen to today's music as a nostalgic thing...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    No, it's easier for artists with little to no commercial success to put out their music. The quality is there, but you do need to dig around...
    I said that to someone else, that the quality is there, if you ignore pop. OP and I are lamenting the face of modern music, that being mainstream mass produce. It's a valid grievance lol Trust I'm not pacing back and forth in my bedroom wondering where all the good music has gone. I've got my little lovely playlist...none of it is pop though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Yeah the internet is kind of a double edged sword when it comes to music distribution, it offers people who would have never been heard a platform, but you do have to dig further for good music. My best advice is to just stick to the labels that you like, then you know the quality will always be there.

Like what...? I can handle remixed pop music and some songs by Coldplay (I like their new album) but what else?
    Oh my goodness. There's so much good stuff out there and you don't even have to dig very hard to find it. I'll list some of my more mainstream interests that still make music today:
    Foals
    Local Natives
    Grouplove
    Chvrches
    Peace
    Heck even Mumford and sons (though I'm not very fond of their new things) and Of Monsters And Men)
    Those are pretty well known by pretentious hipster standards :yep:

(Original post by elen90)
    Thread reminds me of those kids you always find in the YouTube comments section on any relatively old music.

"I'm only 4 months old but I love listening to..."

*squints at smudged ink on hand*

"Freddo Mercura."

"My generation sucks."
    This made me cry with laughter :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    It was always crap.

You guys don't realise that 99% of songs are THE SAME, that is they have a verse & chorus, usually the same harmony structure, and the only reason that you think they are different is because of a different melody and / or improvisation, which spreads out notes randomly enough to make "unique" songs. (Plus some modifications to the harmony.)

Any pop song you think is "absolute genius" is a variant of this. And I'm not saying that's bad. It's a very enjoyable form of music. But if you look globally across human history it's the same, and music hasn't "become worse", it's just that everyone else has moved on to some other pop and you haven't. You may not like the specific timbre, rhythm, but that's literally an inexplainably detailed critique of music.

To show you what I mean, 60's rock songs have the same structure as modern pop songs. When blues was starting, it was also this structure. Before blues, or "modern" music, folk music was also similar to today's pop. Because pop is what humans respond positively to.

The OTHER 1% of music is long-winded and not instinctive, it is artifically made. Classical, jazz, progressive rock, etc. Obviously if you zoom out even more they also have the same structure as pop, following the same laws of musical ageeableness afterall, but this music type is rare and has very little followers. It always had little followers, with the majority of peasants preferring simple folk.

You may complain about lyrics being "dumb", and I can agree with you on that, because I think literature changed more than music did. But if you're really comparing modern rap to some 70's juice rock you are kidding yourself because lyrics were just as dumb back then. And folk songs were dumb too. Talking about beating up drunken sailors and whatnot. Or about love.

ReputationRep:
    I think it has yet to begin and belief that it has, is practically a self diagnosis to being a social pariah.

Seriously this cringey, "le wrong generation" today's music sucks attitude is something I thought society left behind in 2010 Youtube comments and Reddit threads....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Oh my goodness. There's so much good stuff out there and you don't even have to dig very hard to find it. I'll list some of my more mainstream interests that still make music today:
    Foals
    Local Natives
    Grouplove
    Chvrches
    Peace
    Heck even Mumford and sons (though I'm not very fond of their new things) and Of Monsters And Men)
    Those are pretty well known by pretentious hipster standards :yep:

This made me cry with laughter :toofunny:
    Mumford and Sons is <3 lol Not being white and listening to it, I get the :erm: but **** it. I honestly have refused to listen to Chvrches though. Because they are so popular, even though their genre is right up my alley. I'm terrified of loving such a popular band, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Hear, hear! *Ace of Base* :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Music deteriorated towards mid-19th century

The first part of the Romantic era (Beethoven, Schumann, Schubert, Bellini, early Verdi etc) is fine; then, it progressively loses its classical, well-recognizable harmonies. A gap develops between authors and public... by early 1900, you will get dodecaphony, serial music etc and it will go from bad to worse

the only hope, right now, is in folk music

ReputationRep:

Ok well in all fairness the video above is only from 2000-2013 and only songs that reached no.1. But for the past couple of years popular music has seemed to....deteriorate... I mean in my opinion the songs up until 2012 in the video were of good quality, but then it all seemed to fall apart...
    Of course everyone has their own opinions and may be a fan of music released now...but when I talk to some people they do comment on the downfall of music.
    Again it varies from person to person but....
    I dunno I thought it would be an interesting topic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    When those damn beatniks came along with their reefer smoking and negro jazz god damn it!

Mumford and Sons is <3 lol Not being white and listening to it, I get the :erm: but **** it. I honestly have refused to listen to Chvrches though. Because they are so popular, even though their genre is right up my alley. I'm terrified of loving such a popular band, tbh.
    I only really like Mumford's old stuff tbh. I taught myself little lion man on guitar and it's the most impressive thing I can do on guitar and I play it anytime I get the chance much to the annoyance of my hipster friends :lol:
    I actually like chvrches but I have to keep that a secret so I don't get ostracized from my group completely

(Original post by heineken)
    When those damn beatniks came along with their reefer smoking and negro jazz god damn it!
    hahaha...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heineken)
    sarcasm I hope...

(Original post by StrawbAri)
    I only really like Mumford's old stuff tbh. I taught myself little lion man on guitar and it's the most impressive thing I can do on guitar and I play it anytime I get the chance much to the annoyance of my hipster friends :lol:
    I actually like chvrches but I have to keep that a secret so I don't get ostracized from my group completely
    I love a song they did for a film called "Enemy." That song alone can make me love them forever.
    Hipsters don't like Chvrches?
    Ok. Now I have to listen to a song and my 1st full Chvrches song ever, just to understand this lol Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Chvrches (it is HELL typing their name) sound like Lorde? Who I don't listen to either lol

ReputationRep:
    Tbh music evovles all the time I like music from 1990 to now, I do think my taste change all the time aswell though, i dont think it can ever downfall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    i guess since the majority of songs are just about sex, dugs, alcohol and objectify women
    You realise these subjects are all prevalent in Beatles songs and in various other acclaimed artists lol?

ReputationRep:
    StrawbAri took a song from the middle of their career thus far

80s pop sound, with a Swedish dance sound and a modern EDM twist. It's all right, might listen to more for a better idea. Not my kinda thing though. Her voice is a little too angelic. Maybe you'll like this

sarcasm I hope...

I love a song they did for a film called "Enemy." That song alone can make me love them forever.
    Hipsters don't like Chvrches?
    Ok. Now I have to listen to a song and my 1st full Chvrches song ever, just to understand this lol Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Chvrches (it is HELL typing their name) sound like Lorde? Who I don't listen to either lol
    Have you heard Babel by them? Very emotional singing and the guitar on it is very folky.

Lol they don't like anything that's too 'mainstream' and chvrches have more that 100,000 scrobbles on last.fm so clearly far too popular for their tastes.

Nah chvrches is more synth/electronic. Lorde is more Lana del Ray :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.