Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To sort this imbalance of 2 right wing and 4 left wing parties, why don't we make it so that each right wing vote actually counts as two votes? This will surely, and fairly, sort out the recurring issue of left leaning governments once and for all.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    To sort this imbalance of 2 right wing and 4 left wing parties, why don't we make it so that each right wing vote actually counts as two votes? This will surely, and fairly, sort out the recurring issue of left leaning governments once and for all.
    Lol.

As a point of order:

A) There are now 7 parties.
    B) We won't be doing that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    So you wouldn't call it confusion questioning your leader publicly and challenging him on potential coalition partners and then backtracking soon after (1)? It's a very quick U-turn to publicly suggest the Liberals and then backtrack and become obsequious towards Life_peer and the option of keeping the doors open. Or alternatively, perhaps you've backtracked because there is no plan to join with the Liberals, despite many of us in the Liberals finding ourselves aligned more with the Right? In this case, is this MONC simply because the Right hate Labour and want to punish the Liberals for not playing ball and joining with them?
    After discussion and debate, I think it's honourable to follow the line of your leader, even if you do not agree with them. If what you had proposed doesn't go through, the leader is the leader and the majority opinion is the majority. I'm not going to sulk on the fence, I'll just get on with it and accept the majority's and leader's stance.

(Original post by RayApparently)
    Lol.

As a point of order:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ray the maths is slightly easier with 6!

Amendment to the constitution here we come!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Lol.

As a point of order:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is obviously a partisan decision by the speaker who cannot keep their personal politics separate from the role. MoNC time
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jamestg)
    After discussion and debate, I think it's honourable to follow the line of your leader, even if you do not agree with them. If what you had proposed doesn't go through, the leader is the leader and the majority opinion is the majority. I'm not going to sulk on the fence, I'll just get on with it and accept the majority's and leader's stance.
    Just putting it out there as shameless plugging: on issues such as this, Green Party members can vote whatever the hell they want.

Not digging at you or anything - just you're the one that prompted me

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by The Financier)
    This is obviously a partisan decision by the speaker who cannot keep their personal politics separate from the role. MoNC time
    Hear hear!! I cannot Ray would stop something so reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, the debate in this is likely to be long; but I would like to give some advice. It may be long winded, but please do hear me out

Life is tough. People in life do not always get what they want. TSR, due to the age demographic is likely to be always leftist dominated, lucking if you are left, but if you are on the right side of the house; its a sad matter of truth, except for a miracle, or some amazing political stunt, it will be a struggle to get a majority from the right side of the house. It is not impossible, but I never said it would be easy.

I do firmly believe that people in this house, from both sides do take this house too seriously. As people do say, you only live once. Do we want to spend hours on end within this house No, no we don't. Do most of us want to be committed and contribute effectively, yes; but do we want to spend countless hours. NO. That is why there is no point in worrying about this little game. As Baz Luhrmann famously said in his song type exhibit Always wear sunscreen, he famously said 'Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum' Essentially, we have no use in worrying about this house; we need to move on, and treat it like the game that it is. I would furthermore like to quote Baz Luhrmann again when he talks about jealousy. I may forsee some jealousy within this MONC, but I think some valuable words can be taken 'Don't waste your time on jealousy;
    Sometimes you're ahead,
    Sometimes You're behind.
    The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself' We need to realise that we can't always get our way in life, and sometimes its ok to accept, we might not be able to do get into government, but we can make a hell of a difference in opposition, or as one of the other parties within this house.

Now, another reason why this MONC could be called, could be because the proposers are taking a message out of Margaret Thatcher's book. The Iron Lady famously said 'You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.' And obviously, as this isn't the first MONC in a left government in recent times, the battle must not have been won, and the fighters need to keep on fighting.

If you are still with me, that is brilliant. I started out wanting to have a little rant, but kind of didn't know where to end up with it, so that is all I have to say Mr Speaker.

But I would like to finish with a closing message. Having been in this house for almost 2 years, I have seen many changes, some for the better, and some for the worse. Friendships can be built, debating skills can be built, but we can also learn the art of appeasement within this house. I am staring to think that a certain section of the house has been through so much, have fought for their politics and had such a struggle, that they could right a book; maybe entitled 'My struggle'

Thank you, and good night.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Mr Speaker, the debate in this is likely to be long; but I would like to give some advice. It may be long winded, but please do hear me out

Life is tough. People in life do not always get what they want. TSR, due to the age demographic is likely to be always leftist dominated, lucking if you are left, but if you are on the right side of the house; its a sad matter of truth, except for a miracle, or some amazing political stunt, it will be a struggle to get a majority from the right side of the house. It is not impossible, but I never said it would be easy.

I do firmly believe that people in this house, from both sides do take this house too seriously. As people do say, you only live once. Do we want to spend hours on end within this house No, no we don't. Do most of us want to be committed and contribute effectively, yes; but do we want to spend countless hours. NO. That is why there is no point in worrying about this little game. As Baz Luhrmann famously said in his song type exhibit Always wear sunscreen, he famously said 'Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum' Essentially, we have no use in worrying about this house; we need to move on, and treat it like the game that it is. I would furthermore like to quote Baz Luhrmann again when he talks about jealousy. I may forsee some jealousy within this MONC, but I think some valuable words can be taken 'Don't waste your time on jealousy;
    Sometimes you're ahead,
    Sometimes You're behind.
    The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself' We need to realise that we can't always get our way in life, and sometimes its ok to accept, we might not be able to do get into government, but we can make a hell of a difference in opposition, or as one of the other parties within this house.

Now, another reason why this MONC could be called, could be because the proposers are taking a message out of Margaret Thatcher's book. The Iron Lady famously said 'You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.' And obviously, as this isn't the first MONC in a left government in recent times, the battle must not have been won, and the fighters need to keep on fighting.

If you are still with me, that is brilliant. I started out wanting to have a little rant, but kind of didn't know where to end up with it, so that is all I have to say Mr Speaker.

But I would like to finish with a closing message. Having been in this house for almost 2 years, I have seen many changes, some for the better, and some for the worse. Friendships can be built, debating skills can be built, but we can also learn the art of appeasement within this house. I am staring to think that a certain section of the house has been through so much, have fought for their politics and had such a struggle, that they could right a book; maybe entitled 'My struggle'

Wow! And didn't even put in a tl;dr!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Sometimes you're ahead,
    Sometimes You're behind.

Never heard of that Baz bloke, but ignoring the right wing Mumbo-Jumbo I echo this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Wow! And didn't even put in a tl;dr!
    tl;dr Give over, its only a game- enjoy life

(Original post by Andy98)
    Never heard of that Baz bloke, but ignoring the right wing Mumbo-Jumbo I echo this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Baz Luhrmann - Always wear sunscreen. Great life advice!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

I try very, very hard!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Fight me bro :kungfu:

:laugh:

ReputationRep:

Sometimes you're ahead,
    Sometimes You're behind.

Thank you for saying that - those are honestly some of the wisest words I've heard anyone say in this place. Some members would do very, very well indeed to pay attention.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Fight me bro :kungfu:

:laugh:
    I'm reasonable, there's no need for a fight. We can haggle over the weighting

Let's say 1.75?

ReputationRep:
    I know a Lutz Bachmann with some other great advice! :laugh:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Sunscreen has only ever made my sunburns worse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Thank you for saying that - those are honestly some of the wisest words I've heard anyone say in this place. Some members would do very, very well indeed to pay attention.
    I'd like to thank my rt hon friend for their kind comments.

(Original post by Life_peer)
    I know a Lutz Bachmann with some other great advice! :laugh:
    Not a bad man either!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I go out for a couple of drinks and I come back to this

I'll have a read of the thread before responding, though I do think Vonc's are thrown around too much and too quickly around here. Patience is a virtue after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    If you resign by the end of this week and make way for CON/UKIP, I'll let Nigel Farage MEP be the PM.
    If you're being serious here then I don't support the motion of no confidence. I have more faith in a Blairite than Nigel Farage MEP to run a government.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.