Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    No, personally I think 18 is a good age for full responsibility for everything, even if you don't think you're old enough to make those decisions, you're more likely to accept that fact and work around it rather than just doing what other people say
    I think this is quite a black and white view. I'm 17 and I work internally for The Green Party as my local press officer and the co-chair of the Under 18's Liberation Group. I am an active member of the party and also have good relations with local councillors where I support sustainability projects and sit on the local poverty commission.

Now, I am interested in politics, most of my life revolves around politics, why should I not be able to vote on who represents me at the decision making body, locally, nationally and internationally through the EU.

I have responsibilities regarding the politics of the country, as does every member of a political party as we are supporting that party, the same goes for every supporter and campaigner. When I turn 18, will I change? No, I'm already indendent, work full time in Marketing and on campaigns and local/national politics, pay bills and if you want to discuss my legal rights, I already am able to have sex, I already drink alcohol and I am generally independent of my parents.

Now all of that really shouldn't be explained for people to understand why we deserve the vote. I think it is absolutetly ridiculous this mythical difference you think there is between 16 and 17 years olds and 18 year olds. My sister is 24 and I see no difference between her and me, and she is actually extremely immature, unskilled, uneducated and struggling with mental health issues. I believe she desereves the vote despite these "barriers" but if anyone didn't deserve the vote between me and her, it would be her. It's like the argument that prisoners shouldn't deserve a vote, yes they bloody well should!

ReputationRep:
    no one should get a vote unless they can spell allowed

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.