The Student Room Group

Who thinks tuition fees ar BS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Underscore__
I'm not being pedantic. You get paid from a job, plenty of people come out of uni and don't end up getting good jobs so it isn't the degree that gets you money and social mobility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly you assume the only way you measure class is money even though I think it is the main measure it isn't the only one.

Secondly the people who come out of uni to poor jobs are generally the ones who have done low demand degrees.

The argument for that on the free education side would be cut the number of places for those courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
That is a myth. Experience is valued more than degrees because degrees are not as special as they once we're.

I speak from the position of being in a graduate job with nothing higher than BTEC and experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're wrong
Original post by Jacktheslipper
You're wrong

That must be why I have a job.
People forget free tuition historically has almost universally been a benefit to society. Also many much poorer countries than ourselves can still seem to afford to send a higher number of students in proportion to both their population and budget.

The only downside is that it's very had to legitimize to tax payers who have not attended university themselves.... just like it's hard to legitimize taxes that go towards benefits to individuals who have never been on benefits.
Original post by paul514
Firstly you assume the only way you measure class is money even though I think it is the main measure it isn't the only one.

Secondly the people who come out of uni to poor jobs are generally the ones who have done low demand degrees.

The argument for that on the free education side would be cut the number of places for those courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you're talking about a degree enabling social mobility the economic measurement of class is surely the only one you can be talking about?

Yes most unemployed graduates study doss degrees but it doesn't defeat my point; having a degree isn't what makes you earn more and be socially mobile, it gives you a greater chance in getting a job that causes you to earn money and be socially mobile
Original post by JohnGreek
Plenty of people come out of uni, get good jobs and get money and social mobility.

Lovely jump of logic you've got there my dear sir.

(Seriously though, I've said it a million times and yet people won't listen: classing all unis, courses, and degrees into one big homogeneous mass is retarded as ****)

Yes but the fact that not all do demonstrates that it isn't the degree that brings those things, the degree simply gives you a greater chance in getting a job that makes those things happen.

That I agree with, comparing my degree with something like sociology is insulting
a) Stop majoring in Puppy Studies;
b) Develop soft skills as well as technical skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
That must be why I have a job.

First you were wrong, now you're being stupid
Just because you have a job it doesn't make this absurd statement reality
'Experience is valued more than degrees because degrees are not as special as they once we're.'
Mate there will always be more people with jobs than people with degrees - your argument is stupid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending