The Student Room Group

Why is everyone on TSR so "intelligent"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrangeBanana
Yeah, for me (and for quite a lot of people, to be honest), in some subjects, a C is poor. If I'm being brutally honest, if I got a C in A-level Maths I would be thoroughly ashamed of myself. Not because I think everyone who gets a C is a worthless piece of crap, but because I know I can do better.

I'm not suggesting B should be the new average, it would be meaningless and pointless. But it's not ignorant of me to want to be good at things. People should stop propagating this loser mentality that it's somehow bad to be ambitious. I'm not satisfied with anything but my best, and if that makes people feel insecure then that's not my business or my problem.

Depends on what you mean by average I guess. For Maths Edexcel 2015, 79.9% got at least a C, 63.6%% got at least a B and 41.5%, an A. I don't have UMS data but I would guess that the average was a mid-high B.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Depends on what you mean by average I guess. For Maths Edexcel 2015, 79.9% got at least a C, 63.6%% got at least a B and 41.5%, an A. I don't have UMS data but I would guess that the average was a mid-high B.

well replace "C" with "B" and "B" with "A" in the post
Yeah, for me (and for quite a lot of people, to be honest), in some subjects, a C is poor. If I'm being brutally honest, if I got a C in A-level Maths I would be thoroughly ashamed of myself. Not because I think everyone who gets a C is a worthless piece of crap, but because I know I can do better.

I'm not suggesting B should be the new average, it would be meaningless and pointless. But it's not ignorant of me to want to be good at things. People should stop propagating this loser mentality that it's somehow bad to be ambitious. I'm not satisfied with anything but my best, and if that makes people feel insecure then that's not my business or my problem.

Do you even read who I replied that to?
Reply 83
Perhaps he finds unit 5 hard or the CW so found the thought of not having extra UMS to make that 270 at A2 for the UMS difficult. And some of us are just perfectionists. Interesting related read: http://hotelconcierge.tumblr.com/post/113360634364/the-stanford-marshmallow-prison-experiment

I swear I made a comment about my very low A* in physics a while back and someone called me out on it..but it was probably more than a month ago and wasn't Unit 4..

Anyhow I've heard of that experiment and I honestly have no idea what I would have done as a kid..
Original post by Lawliettt

It gets ridiculous at times. Last month i saw someone complaining because he got a "Very low A*" in his physics unit 4 A2 exam. And he wasn't even trolling.

So what?

If you know you can do everything on the paper, and should be able to get 100%, and you get 91%, I don't see why you shouldn't be as annoyed as someone dropping 9 points lower down the scale.

There's no need to be bitter just because some people have higher standards than you. If you're secure in yourself it shouldn't bother you at all.
Original post by ckfeister
Do you even read who I replied that to?

Yes, you replied it to me.

What's your point?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
so what?

If you know you can do everything on the paper, and should be able to get 100%, and you get 91%, I don't see why you shouldn't be as annoyed as someone dropping 9 points lower down the scale.

There's no need to be bitter just because some people have higher standards than you. If you're secure in yourself it shouldn't bother you at all.

Perhaps he finds unit 5 hard or the CW so found the thought of not having extra UMS to make that 270 at A2 for the UMS difficult. And some of us are just perfectionists. Interesting related read: http://hotelconcierge.tumblr.com/post/113360634364/the-stanford-marshmallow-prison-experiment

I simply find complaining because your A* wasn't high enough stupid. Especially when he already got an A* overall. I'm confident that he only posted that to let people know he got an A*. Rather than being genuinely upset about getting a low A*.

I want to make it clear that its not sharing grades that I have a problem with. If he wants to share his grade then I'd be bitter to be outraged. There's always threads for that stuff anyway. But be upfront about it lol. Don't go onto a thread about people missing out on grades or w.e and cry about not getting the right kind of A*. I recall him calling it an embarassment in the post
(edited 8 years ago)
I simply find complaining because your A* wasn't high enough stupid. Especially when he already got an A* overall. I'm confident that he only posted that to let people know he got an A*. Rather than being genuinely upset about getting a low A*.

I want to make it clear that its not sharing grades that I have a problem with. If he wants to share his grade then I'd be bitter to be outraged. There's always threads for that stuff anyway. But be upfront about it lol. Don't go onto a thread about people missing out on grades or w.e and cry about not getting the right kind of A*. I recall him calling it an embarassment in the post

He might be casually bragging but who are you to say that his concerns are stupid?
What you are saying is no different than a D student saying that you complaining about Cs is stupid despite you wanting to acheive Bs. It's relative.

I can appreciate your skepticism. But again, remember that he might feel that it'll be harder to meet his offer. Would you rather he suffer in silence? Why should the thread be restricted to those who get lower grades?

I don't understand how you can maintain (a) that A*s are commonplace on TSR and (b) that they are worth boasting about. Nobody cares that a random poster got an A* in something. Maybe he really wanted everyone to know he got an A*, but given he evidently felt pretty sure he was going to get one anyway (and expected to get a higher one) it's at least as plausible that he was just genuinely irritated at his low score.
Reply 89

Why are you confident of that though? How can you possibly know that person's motivations?
Intelligence has no value to me. It's all about who's more interesting. You may have an IQ of 150, but if you aren't interesting, you aren't interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you replied it to me.

What's your point?

No it wasn't direct to you. Read the person I replied it too in order to see why I responded the way I did.
Reply 92
Original post by romansholiday
Lmao, so everyone on TSR seems to get straight A*s at GCSE, and anything below this is just "lazy".

You're supposed to be educated and open minded, yet you are somewhat narrow minded about the grades that people less academic than yourself get at GCSE. Saying that someone is "lazy" if they don't get straight A*s is so pathetic.

It makes me question the authenticity of the grades that people seem to achieve on this site, seeing as the "average" are straight Cs, but the average on TSR is somewhere around 8 A*s and As lmao.

It's the same with A Level. Everyone one seems to get AAA or AAB and anything below that is literally shunned upon, even though in reality these are absolutely amazing grades!

Has anyone noticed this when reading some threads on TSR?

i think its because people who go on TSR are generally pretty keen to go on a social media particularly dedicated to talking about mostly school/uni work
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Grades are no indication of intelligence.

Have you seen some of the garbage that people post?

You can't tell much about one's intelligence from the way they post :h:
You can't tell much about one's intelligence from the way they post :h:

Oh **** :ninjagirl:
Original post by ckfeister
No it wasn't direct to you. Read the person I replied it too in order to see why I responded the way I did.

https://gyazo.com/aae19603993e9a76fb2bcbd55ee47f99

You flopped and you know it

:yy:

Quick Reply

Latest