Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which of the world's injustices would you want to see abolished? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    The system that we live in defines our value.
    For instance, you could be in a system where teachers get paid 1/2 of what they should do, assuming increased educational requirement slightly to PhD to make teaching better quality.
    Sleepysnooze you seem to miss the existence of power structures. People work low wages for often similar amounts of work to others who earn substantially more.
    Essentially slave labor in some parts of the world - India, China, Africa, South Americas, etc.
    Corporate capitalism run amok isn't a free society - where you can see what is becoming a sort of financial slave labor (where the rich have all of the power, to command the poor, regardless of educational attainment etc. - in a system where education provision is very poor, as is health).
    Sorry rambled, but think my point makes sense, at least to some degree :P
    the fact that you compare capitalism to slavery is just ridiculous. "power structures"? which ones? and if you're saying teachers work for half of what they should do, how do you determine that it is half? based on their skills, their required hours or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    the fact that you compare capitalism to slavery is just ridiculous. "power structures"? which ones? and if you're saying teachers work for half of what they should do, how do you determine that it is half? based on their skills, their required hours or something else?
    No, it isn't ridiculous, at all. If the distribution of wealth is low, as in many underdeveloped countries but also countries like the USA, then that means that people are working for very different salaries.

It is also that companies sell what people make for 100+ times the value of their wage - such as those in poorly developed countries, but not limited to them.

Look up power structures. I would have thought that their existence is fairly explicit - in that people simply have power over other people.
    Those that have power are better able to change the way our society functions, and the relative importance of specific components/facets of society.

People should be paid according to many different things, such as hours, training required, importance to society and many more. Some things are underpaid and undervalued in society (both hand in hand), when really they shouldn't be.

I make the point of education too because as in this country the education system is underfunded that takes away the 'free will' which is what capitalism is sort of based on.

We should live in an egalitarian society - not one that is ruled by the rich, and served by the poor underclass.

ReputationRep:
    The continued confinement, transportation and slaughter of 58 billion nonhuman animals every year for food.

ReputationRep:
    they are paid the highest the market is willing to pay them for - what else woul they be paid based on other than their value?
    usually paid what is the legal minimum in that country. For example if you work in a lot of different jobs without a degree they will often or pretty much always pay you minimum wage. However hard you work they will pay you the legal minimum mostly big corporations. If you start your own business and are lucky that it is not destroyed by competition from big business then you can pay yourself a lot more for the exact same job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    usually paid what is the legal minimum in that country. For example if you work in a lot of different jobs without a degree they will often or pretty much always pay you minimum wage. However hard you work they will pay you the legal minimum mostly big corporations. If you start your own business and are lucky that it is not destroyed by competition from big business then you can pay yourself a lot more for the exact same job.
    if you research it, you'll find that the average wage in this country is actually almost twice as much as the minimum wage. my dad was a postman before he retired and even when he first started, he *never* got as low as the minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna say gender inequality because I think that would solve a mass of other issues including attitudes to religion and homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    if you research it, you'll find that the average wage in this country is actually almost twice as much as the minimum wage. my dad was a postman before he retired and even when he first started, he *never* got as low as the minimum wage.
    how is that relevant I am talking about the lowest paid/most exploited groups. Also you are referring to the mean average. If you look at a company like Foxconn they employ hundreds of thousand of Chinese people on extremely low wages to make huge profits for apple. They are paid a fraction of what they deserve. I don't disagree with capitalism per se but not in it's most ruthless grotesque form whereby huge corporations line their pockets of the backs of the huge pool of cheap labour in China and India etc.

ReputationRep:
    Make circumcision in all its forms, both male and female, illegal with a severe punishment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.