The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by cutekitten2017
I hope so lol! I'm actually failing the BMAT rn so I need to do some more revision I guess! Which college are you applying to? :biggrin:

Clare! :smile:

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by AZS_06783
Good evening, y'all,
as far as interview dates go, the exam board releases BMAT scores on Nov. 25th I believe, and they usually do interviews between 5th and 12th of December. I think that would be prudent to keep early December free just in case you get called in at short notice.

On another note, Jesus Christ, reading all of your grades makes me think that I'm a madman for even applying!

With love, Z

I totally feel the same!!! I'm applying even with my grades because I don't wanna spend time thinking maybe I would have had a chance. So don't stress cos there are quite a few of us in the same position as you :smile:.
Original post by missxyn
I totally feel the same!!! I'm applying even with my grades because I don't wanna spend time thinking maybe I would have had a chance. So don't stress cos there are quite a few of us in the same position as you :smile:.

But what were your grades? I bet they were still amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 83
Original post by CutieTootsie
But what were your grades? I bet they were still amazing

GCSE: 9A* 2A
(This is where it's hard to compare with you A-level people)
Scottish Highers: 6 A's (but only 2 where A1 and they were not Bio or Chem)
Advanced Higher predictions- 4 A's (All A1)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by missxyn
GCSE: 9A* 2A
(This is where it's hard to compare with you A-level people)
Scottish Highers: 6 A's (but only 2 where A1 and they were not Bio or Chem)
Advanced Higher predictions- 4 A's (All A1)

I'm trying not to laugh, but you've got to be kidding me! Those are fantastic stats. People who should be genuinely worried (like me) are not "in the same position" as you. That was a bit of an overstatement and probs makes the rest of us feel that little bit more insecure 😂

Reply 85
I'm trying not to laugh, but you've got to be kidding me! Those are fantastic stats. People who should be genuinely worried (like me) are not "in the same position" as you. That was a bit of an overstatement and probs makes the rest of us feel that little bit more insecure 😂

Actually, I don't agree, with all these 95+ UMS-erm (Congrats btw) it's like ooooh do I really have a chance. Anyway, what are your stats then?
Original post by missxyn
Actually, I don't agree, with all these 95+ UMS-erm (Congrats btw) it's like ooooh do I really have a chance. Anyway, what are your stats then?

They're holistic with applications though, I wouldn't say you have a weak point from what I can see, which is the best position to be in.

GCSEs 5A's 5B's (shock.horror.disaster...but I'm the main carer for my mum and that really messed my head up) - so I did the extenuating circumstances form, just in case they're feeling kind.
AS: AAA (bio and chem linear. maths UMS 100, 97, 84)
Predicted A*A*A*

You're stats are more consistent, so I think that works really well in your favour

Original post by Kozmo
Clare! :smile:

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way! I'm applying to Clare too:biggrin:!
No way! I'm applying to Clare too:biggrin:!

Snaaaaap!

It's kind of scary though ngl, that makes 4 of us that I've heard of on TSR already so far :wink:
Original post by I can do this
Snaaaaap!

It's kind of scary though ngl, that makes 4 of us that I've heard of on TSR already so far :wink:

Wouldn't it be cool if we all got offers though? The interviews sound so scary though omg :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Wouldn't it be cool if we all got offers though? The interviews sound so scary though omg :s-smilie::s-smilie:

I said the exact same thing to Kozmo this morning! It would be amazing eeeee

Yesss :frown: got to just throw everything at it and hope for the best :smile:
Hai guys, Cauis applicant here!!! Though starting to worry about that decision having read this thread... is it really "insane"? I picked Caius because when I looked around on the open day it seemed like one of the most "normal" colleges (compared to trinity and all ya know :tongue:) and it has largest intake of med students so nice community feel etc etc...
V stressed about bmat - been trying to revise while on holiday but I'm struggling :frown: thinking about all that UKCAT prep I did and wishing I had a whole summer to prepare for this exam too!
Any other caians here? xx
Any other Peterhouse applicants here?
How is everyone doing with BMAT preparation? My scores are so low! Timing is really a problem for me

What kind of scores are everyone getting?

Original post by elanor44
Hai guys, Cauis applicant here!!! Though starting to worry about that decision having read this thread... is it really "insane"? I picked Caius because when I looked around on the open day it seemed like one of the most "normal" colleges (compared to trinity and all ya know :tongue:) and it has largest intake of med students so nice community feel etc etc...
V stressed about bmat - been trying to revise while on holiday but I'm struggling :frown: thinking about all that UKCAT prep I did and wishing I had a whole summer to prepare for this exam too!
Any other caians here? xx

Hey! Tbh I don't think College choice makes that much of a difference to whether you'll be offered a place at the UNIVERSITY. Whether you get into your chosen college may vary. I think, as a Clare applicant (also said to be super competitive), we should just have a little faith in the pooling system :smile: for example, if we take Homerton which only started med last year:

They have 6 seats available
Only 5 people applied directly
16 were allocated from opens

Of these 21 considered as direct applicants, only 1 was given a place! The other 5 came from the pool..

I think what this shows is that colleges are not afraid to take better candidates that had applied to other colleges, and that many of the people who applied to homerton were probably of a lower standard so thought they'd 'try their luck' at Cambridge at a "less competitive" college. Clearly it didn't improve their chances!

What are your stats?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey! Tbh I don't think College choice makes that much of a difference to whether you'll be offered a place at the UNIVERSITY. Whether you get into your chosen college may vary. I think, as a Clare applicant (also said to be super competitive), we should just have a little faith in the pooling system :smile: for example, if we take Homerton which only started med last year:

They have 6 seats available
Only 5 people applied directly
16 were allocated from opens

Of these 21 considered as direct applicants, only 1 was given a place! The other 6 came from the pool..

I think what this shows is that colleges are not afraid to take better candidates that had applied to other colleges, and that many of the people who applied to homerton were probably of a lower standard so thought they'd 'try their luck' at Cambridge at a "less competitive" college. Clearly it didn't improve their chances!

What are your stats?

That's certainly reassuring, thank you :smile: Clare's seems to be a popular choice with TSR!! I didn't actually look around it, what's it like?

I ummed and arred for ages about college choice but tbh I don't think it matters a great deal - obviously all the main teaching and stuff is centralised. I found myself differentiating between them with silly things like college colours... (Whose idea at Churchill's was pink and brown)

Stats-wise I got 11 A*s at GCSE (although come from a school where that's not uncommon) and 93% UMS in my Maths AS. Other subjects are bio, chem and English lit (bit of a curve ball!), all reformed so no AS grades in these. Predicted 4 A*S. How about you? xx
Original post by elanor44
That's certainly reassuring, thank you :smile: Clare's seems to be a popular choice with TSR!! I didn't actually look around it, what's it like?

I ummed and arred for ages about college choice but tbh I don't think it matters a great deal - obviously all the main teaching and stuff is centralised. I found myself differentiating between them with silly things like college colours... (Whose idea at Churchill's was pink and brown)

Stats-wise I got 11 A*s at GCSE (although come from a school where that's not uncommon) and 93% UMS in my Maths AS. Other subjects are bio, chem and English lit (bit of a curve ball!), all reformed so no AS grades in these. Predicted 4 A*S. How about you? xx

I know, it's scary, I think loads of people are applying this year to Clare! Eeeek

Haha tbf I didn't really do that much research - just wanted an old college, and clare is old yet informal, and good with music!

Yeah same, 11A*s but not unusual for my school! And I do biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths (perhaps a bit more typical for medicine, I'm a so bad at essays lol). I have no UMS marks for the sciences, but I did my whole maths A level last year with a 96% average :smile: xx
Original post by missxyn

I'm thinking the exact same thing. I'd rather know that I'm not a Cambridge candidate for sure than think 'what if they would've liked me, regardless...?'

Although I'm pretty sure I'm not but hey :biggrin:

Hey!! I believe universities get it earlier than us - 23rd I think! I think interviews depend on the college too- Clare have said 5-9 December.

About your final point-
A) I'm sure your grades are fab
B) TSR is notorious for having students with disproportionately high grades/stats! Self belief is so important (I feel like a hypocrite because I know this yet worry myself about the very same issue!)

X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's true. I think it's the same for UCAS later on - apparently some people have their acceptance confirmed a day or two before Results Day on Track, but idk.
Also, self-belief and blind ambition are the main reasons I even applied to I feel ya :P
Seriously, though, some people on here make me wonder 'why the hell are you even worried? have you seen my grades (which, btw, I'm not even joking, are horrid by Oxbridge standards (save for royalty and politicians, of course))?'

Let's just see what happens, shall we?

Staying positive, Z
Anyone applied to Trinity?
How is everyone doing with BMAT preparation? My scores are so low! Timing is really a problem for me

What kind of scores are everyone getting?

I did the 2013 paper today and got 6.2 and 6.9, although that's with about 5mins extra in S2😉. Wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending