Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotDotDot...)
    Yes there are differences and that probably has an impact on life decisions but when all employees see is your grades, which with girls tend to be higher (not because of gender bias because examiners don't know your gender), and your appearance, (and possible work experience but I presume that's pretty similar) then why do men seem to get hired many more times than women and at a higher wage? I admit there are many different factors in this but I do think that ingrained sexism (based on studies of the brain or not) does play a bigger part in employment than is normally given credit for because when you take away all the other variables and gender is the only difference then I think there is no other explanation.
    Do you have proof of men getting hired many more times than women? I haven't seen any evidence of this and it seems like confirmation bias but I do not know either way.
    There was a study that suggests in stem fields women are 2:1 more likely to get the job.
    http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...ulty-positions

Men are more likely to negotiate more which will inevitably lead to them getting a higher wage.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/gende...n-2013-11?IR=T

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    So every woman is the same?
    Not every woman. Like 95% of women.

Just as a test - what's the first thing you think when you see what's on the link below (its safe for work)?

http://uk.louisvuitton.com/eng-gb/pr...onogram-007653
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If you think something along the lines of "omg that's so cute" or "I wonder what other designs they have" then you're one of the 95%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Not every woman. Like 95% of women.

Just as a test - what's the first thing you think when you see what's on the link below: (its safe for work):

http://uk.louisvuitton.com/eng-gb/pr...onogram-007653
    Designer handbag is the first thing I think of. I don't think it's cute, okay maybe a little but I've never requested for a guy to be me stuff nor would I ever into such a relationship where I get used for sex and in return I use the guy for financial purposes

The thing I genuinely have trouble understanding,now that we have plenty of feminist groups out there etc is that,if a woman is financial secure and stable,why does she need to rely on a man to buy her stuff she wants? Maybe the OP is talking about women who are on lower paid jobs,I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Designer handbag is the first thing I think of
    edited my post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    Well, as you say men use women for sex. Women can't use men for sex because men aren't very good at it, so they use them for money because you've got to get something out of the relationship.
    I'm loving this reply, best thing i've seen on the internet today.
    So true.

I think the most I've seen this happen in day to day life in clubs.
    Creep flirts with you, offers you a drink. You accept the offer for the drink. Your friend then needs to go to the toilet. And bam, you never see him again.

Apart from that odd vodka and coke here and there, I don't think this really applies often in modern day life. (Maybe in other cultures?)
    If i asked my boyfriend to pay for anything over 5 pound, I'd simply just get a no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    men
    me
    m
    mo
    mon
    mone
    money
    yeh, if women wrote the dictionary, men and money would be synonyms

ReputationRep:
    As a attractive women you can get a rich man to buy you everything. Put yourself in that position, isn't it tempting?

Besides, the guys gets what he wants (sex), so it evens out :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzi786)
    Im not saying all but alot i dont want to use the word MAJORITY but it seems for me majority. Iv seen so many videos online aswell women just use u for your money, car, wealth.

Most Men just use women for sex thts the reality to.
    You're forming your opinions from 'online videos'????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    You're forming your opinions from 'online videos'????
    Personal experience aswell !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzi786)
    Im not saying all but alot i dont want to use the word MAJORITY but it seems for me majority. Iv seen so many videos online aswell women just use u for your money, car, wealth.

Most Men just use women for sex thts the reality to.
    Is this a purposeful thread to irritate all the feminists out there ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    yeh, if women wrote the dictionary, men and money would be synonyms
    That'd be a good idea

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.