Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by atsruser)
    All of the questions that I've posted can be done with GCSE knowledge + insight. It's the insight that makes them hard, of course.
    When I said the thread had gone off topic, I was referring to the posts above me e.g. your post #72.

ReputationRep:
    A computer password for a top secret system comprises 50 randomly chosen digits, each in the range 0-9. There are 10^{50} distinct such passwords.

A computer cracker builds a powerful computer to break into the system. It tries each password in turn until the correct one is found. It can try a million million million passwords per second, and it is left running for a million million million years.

To the nearest one millionth of one percent, what percentage of passwords are still left to be tried, after this period of time?

ReputationRep:
    Circle A is inscribed inside a square of side 2 so that it is tangent to all four sides. A smaller circle, B, is inscribed in the gap between circle A and the two sides of the square at one of the corners. Circle B is tangent to circle A and to the two sides of the square.

Find the radius of circle B.

ReputationRep:
    Solve n^3-4n-315=0

ReputationRep:
    15 - 6 = 11

I'm sorry. It just is. No, it just is.

ReputationRep:
    Circle A is inscribed inside a square of side 2 so that it is tangent to all four sides. A smaller circle, B, is inscribed in the gap between circle A and the two sides of the square at one of the corners. Circle B is tangent to circle A and to the two sides of the square.

Find the radius of circle B.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    0.21?
    Solve n^3-4n-315=0
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is n just 7? Since sqrt(7^2 - 4*45) gives you an irrational number?

A computer password for a top secret system comprises 50 randomly chosen digits, each in the range 0-9. There are 10^{50} distinct such passwords.

A computer cracker builds a powerful computer to break into the system. It tries each password in turn until the correct one is found. It can try a million million million passwords per second, and it is left running for a million million million years.

To the nearest one millionth of one percent, what percentage of passwords are still left to be tried, after this period of time?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I got 0.000032%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I would presume so, a small note however that the other roots are actually complex, not irrational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    I would presume so, a small note however that the other roots are actually complex, not irrational.
    My bad! I'll keep that in mind when doing something like this again...

ReputationRep:
    My bad! I'll keep that in mind when doing something like this again...
    It's not really an issue for GCSE level, I just thought I'd mention it for interest's sake, by definition an irrational number is by definition real.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really an issue for GCSE level, I just thought I'd mention it for interest's sake, by definition an irrational number is by definition real.
    If I'm being honest, I still don't get the difference between a complex number and an irrational number - do complex numbers only show up when working out quadratics?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, it's usually by convention that n \in \mathbb{N} or n \in \mathbb{Z} so being irrational would be a sufficient condition to discard those solutions, I think.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm being honest, I still don't get the difference between a complex number and an irrational number - do complex numbers only show up when working out quadratics?
    An irrational number is a number which cannot be expressed as the ratio, \frac{a}{b} of two integers.
    A complex number is a generalisation of the real numbers which gives every polynomial of order n exactly n solutions in the complex plane. Essentially one defines an imaginary number i=\sqrt{-1} and proceed from there, though that is a discussion best suited to another thread.

(Original post by Zacken)
    To be fair, it's usually by convention that n \in \mathbb{N} or n \in \mathbb{Z} so being irrational would be a sufficient condition to discard those solutions, I think.
    Agreed, though I tend to be a bit nit-picky, guess the pure courses have rubbed off on me :/

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    0.21?
    That's not what I got. I'll check my result - it came to a nice exact answer, with surds.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes but...
    Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    rewrite as n^3-4n=315 then factorise both sides fully

Spoiler:
    Show
    I got 0.000032%
    I think that you misread the question. And that doesn't look quite right, even if you are trying to compute the % finished.

It would be easier to comment if you put up some working.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially one defines an imaginary number i=\sqrt{-1} and proceed from there, though that is a discussion best suited to another thread.
    You can definitely ignore complex solutions here - it's a GCSE thread.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I got. I'll check my result - it came to a nice exact answer, with surds.
    I did get an exact answer with surds, except I wasn’t sure howto put it down: (-1 + sqrt2)/2

Yes but...
    Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    rewrite as n^3-4n=315 then factorise both sides fully
    That’s what I did at the beginning, except I didn’t know whereto go from n(n+2)(n-2) = 315, so I ended up using the factor theorem to get(n-7) and then used long division to get a quadratic.
    I think that you misread the question. And that doesn't look quite right, even if you are trying to compute the % finished.

It would be easier to comment if you put up some working.
    I still haven’t familiarised myself with latex, so apologiesabout not being able to display everything in a way that’s easy to understand. Amillion million million passwords is the same as 10^17 passwords per second. Ithen multiplied this by 31536000, which is the number of seconds in a year, andthen multiplied by another 10^17 for the number of years. I divided all this by10^50 and multiplied by 100 to get a percentage. I’m not sure what else I could have done, unless I didmisread the question, or maybe made a stupid mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I did get an exact answer with surds, except I wasn’t sure howto put it down: (-1 + sqrt2)/2
    I get r = \frac{\sqrt{2}-1}{\sqrt{2}+1}

That’s what I did at the beginning, except I didn’t know whereto go from n(n+2)(n-2) = 315, so I ended up using the factor theorem to get(n-7) and then used long division to get a quadratic.
    You didn't factorise 315 - do that, then use the fact that there is only one way to factorise both sides.

You can't use the factor theorem here - this is a GCSE thread, so you must restrict yourself to GCSE methods.

I still haven’t familiarised myself with latex, so apologiesabout not being able to display everything in a way that’s easy to understand. Amillion million million passwords is the same as 10^17 passwords per second. Ithen multiplied this by 31536000, which is the number of seconds in a year, andthen multiplied by another 10^17 for the number of years. I divided all this by10^50 and multiplied by 100 to get a percentage. I’m not sure what else I could have done, unless I didmisread the question, or maybe made a stupid mistake.
    Actually I have noticed a typo in my question so it didn't quite work out as nice as I wanted it. But yes, you have badly misread the question. What does it ask you to find?

[edit: and you might want to check your powers - what is a million million million in powers of 10?]

ReputationRep:
    This
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    This question on counters
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    This calculator paper question
    Attached Images

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by OGGUS)
    This
    Is this correct? I skipped some steps as it isn't an exam.
    Attached Images

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.