Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

German Cafes Stop Selling Pork Sausages to Spare Muslim Refugees' Feelings watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Which experts? I'd have thought chicken was far more dangerous.

http://www.livescience.com/28973-ris...e-illness.html
    I hope you're deliberately being stupid. I'm not talking about how 'dangerous' the meats are, I'm talking about unhealthiness. Chicken is more dangerous if undercooked, but it is healthier. Two issues.

ReputationRep:
    I for one look forward to having to travel 30 miles to source my bacon and egg butty on a saturday morning in 50 years time.

Hurray our multicultural over lords

ReputationRep:
    I'm still yet to see any evidence as whether there is any truth in this story or that Muslims are en masse offended by the mere selling of pork.

All I can find is that a German politician form an area where pig farming is big has made this claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I'm still yet to see any evidence as whether there is any truth in this story or that Muslims are en masse offended by the mere selling of pork.

All I can find is that a German politician form an area where pig farming is big has made this claim.
    The odds are that the story has been cooked up (unlike the sausages).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    In 50 years time, that bacon and egg butty would have already been whipped up by that robotic chef that you would have in your kitchen, the bacon specially flown in by drone from Denhay Farm in Somerset.
    I for one welcome our robotic drone overlords

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alcohonick)
    I hope you're deliberately being stupid.
    You'll have to make your own decision on that, just as I will have to decide if you are deliberately being obnoxious.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily.
    What do you mean not necessarily? That is precisely the issue we are talking about....
    Comparing meat and non-meat eaters is radically different to this scenario.

Agreed.
    And I am sure that the cafe weighed up the lost custom that would result in and they still felt it worthwhile to proceed with a no pork stance.All that means is that another cafe in the area would pick those customers up.
    Yes, and the fact the cafe had to make the choice between customers is part of the problem.
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I agree. It seems unlikely.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    FFS , What next , Muslims being offended by Muslims ? Well Muslims offend me ......

ReputationRep:
    Ohh no. Not my pork sausages ya don't!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Muslim, and I've never been 'offended' by pork. Eat whatever the hell you want mate

And the 'spare muslims feelings' part in the title is so misleading. Like they're the ones whining about it and the germans are having to go out of their way to cater for them. I'm pretty sure if you fled your country you wouldn't exactly expect the same food you ate at home readily available. Sounds like german businesses are just trying to accommodate some new customers to increase profit, which is natural cos the whole aim of business is to generate profit

ReputationRep:
    Well, have Muslims stated that they would not frequent cafes that sell pork products?
    It doesn't matter. If we take the story at face value, it's perceived they will, it's what drove the decision to stop selling pork.

Where is the problem? What is the problem?
    That the store would have to sacrifice one set of customers for another.
    (Original post by nightwing51214)
    Sounds like german businesses are just trying to accommodate some new customers to increase profit, which is natural cos the whole aim of business is to generate profit
    This is something I personally see as a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You'll have to make your own decision on that, just as I will have to decide if you are deliberately being obnoxious.
    I'd be less harsh with my tone if you didn't pointlessly jump in and nitpick my argument and then just quit responding when I come back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    It doesn't matter. If we take the story at face value, it's perceived they will, it's what drove the decision to stop selling pork.

That the store would have to sacrifice one set of customers for another.

This is something I personally see as a problem.
    Depends on how you look at it. If there are more muslim customers than german, then obviously the muslim population is your main source of profit. If it's the other way round however, then you cater to the rest of the population.

It's not necessary for businesses to just focus on one population of customers either. They can cater for both by simply striking a good balance of items on the menu.

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessary for businesses to just focus on one population of customers either. They can cater for both by simply striking a good balance of items on the menu.
    I good balance would surely be where they provide goods/services for muslims (not-pork) and non-muslims (pork). The problem comes when one group would refuse to shop at a particular business because of something beyond they goods/services they would use, such as serving a particular foodstuff, or because they serve/employ certain races.
    Not really. Just one item is unavailable.It's hardly likely that such an item would result in large swathes of customers deserting the cafe.
    This is true, because one groups is more passive in their shopping desires than the other one.

ReputationRep:
    I good balance would surely be where they provide goods/services for muslims (not-pork) and non-muslims (pork). The problem comes when one group would refuse to shop at a particular business because of something beyond they goods/services they would use, such as serving a particular foodstuff, or because they serve/employ certain races.
    Not to sound offensive amigo, but I don't think you quite understand how Muslims choose where they want to eat and the difference in diet for Muslims.

Muslims can have meats such as camel, chicken, beef and lamb but they have to be 'halal'- which just means that the animal is slaughtered differently. They basically recite a prayer whilst they slaughter the animal as quickly as possible so as to minimise any pain. There is no difference in texture or taste of the meat. We can also have fish but only the ones with scales. And we can't have anything with alcohol in it.

Now apply that in an every day context and what you get is that Muslims basically eat anywhere so long as the 'halal' meat and the right fish are cooked/served separately to the non- halal items. So this would mean things like they aren't cooked in the same deep fryer etc.

Classic example of this is McDonalds- they serve non- halal meats but muslims still go there because they fry/cook their fries and fish separately to the other 'non- halal' meats.

So basically, it doesn't make a difference to us who the business serve and whether or not they serve pork etc. Long as the food we want is cooked separately from that, we're good.

ReputationRep:
    So basically, it doesn't make a difference to us who the business serve and whether or not they serve pork etc. Long as the food we want is cooked separately from that, we're good.
    You're missing the point. The examples discussed in this thread (assuming you take the claims at face value) and the ones your are endorsing as sound business decisions, are where shops are choosing the stop selling pork to gain customers.

As a point though, there are potentially choices between serving people that want to eat halal meat, and those that dont want to eat halal meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    It's probably more a commercial decision than something which has been imposed on them by the government.

If I were opening a restaurant in an area where loads of people are Muslim, I would consider serving Halal meat for the sake of ensuring the business is viable.
    I would never serve Halal meat. I'm not a vegetarian but I find the cruelty involved in Halal and Kosher absolutely disgusting. Both should be banned in my view.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing the point. The examples discussed in this thread (assuming you take the claims at face value) and the ones your are endorsing as sound business decisions, are where shops are choosing the stop selling pork to gain customers.

As a point though, there are potentially choices between serving people that want to eat halal meat, and those that dont want to eat halal meat.
    I do get what you're saying, but what I'm trying to say is simply that businesses don't have to make that choice between selling and not- selling pork in order to cater for a muslim population. Muslims aren't really pressurising them to stop selling it, they are putting this pressure and making these choices themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I would never serve Halal meat. I'm not a vegetarian but I find the cruelty involved in Halal and Kosher absolutely disgusting. Both should be banned in my view.
    but your stupid slavery flag is all ok?

ReputationRep:
    Not to sound offensive amigo, but I don't think you quite understand how Muslims choose where they want to eat and the difference in diet for Muslims.

Muslims can have meats such as camel, chicken, beef and lamb but they have to be 'halal'- which just means that the animal is slaughtered differently. They basically recite a prayer whilst they slaughter the animal as quickly as possible so as to minimise any pain. There is no difference in texture or taste of the meat. We can also have fish but only the ones with scales. And we can't have anything with alcohol in it.

Now apply that in an every day context and what you get is that Muslims basically eat anywhere so long as the 'halal' meat and the right fish are cooked/served separately to the non- halal items. So this would mean things like they aren't cooked in the same deep fryer etc.

Classic example of this is McDonalds- they serve non- halal meats but muslims still go there because they fry/cook their fries and fish separately to the other 'non- halal' meats.

Camel? LOL! Don't see that in the meat section at Sainsbury's.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.