Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    D3+ would start to get interesting actually
    Omg triggered

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    outer surface....do you mean the external one? Are the available forces adequate for such a motion? I am missing sth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Omg triggered

Posted from TSR Mobile
    C'mon you could do some proper graph theory and other stuff, it would be fun.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm struggling to finish this off at the moment but my approach was as follows:

Spoiler:
    Show

1. When the particle has fallen to a position where the cone radius is r, we have the horizontal velocity v_H = \frac{aU}{r} by conservation of AM.

2. Now resolving perpendicular to the surface of the cone gives

\displaystyle mg \sin \alpha -R = \frac{m v_H^2}{\rho} \Rightarrow R = m(g \sin \alpha - \frac{a^2U^2}{r^2 \rho})

where \rho is the instantaneous radius of curvature of the cone along the plane defined by the normal and the direction of v_H i.e. the horizontal. But this plane is an ellipse, and the particle is at the vertex, so we need the radius of curvature of this ellipse at the vertex. That can be shown to be b^2/a where a,b are the semi-major, minor axes.

Now I've found a in terms of r (I think) but b is giving me huge grief, so at the moment, I'm stymied with this approach. Note that it will agree with the stated result if \rho = r \sec \alpha, which I thought I'd shown last night, but I'd made a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    come on exam boards bring on M8 if you think you're hard enough

:pwnd:

:horns:

ReputationRep:
    Taking the origin at the vertex and z increasing downwards

there are 4 equations
    1. transversly conservation of angular momentum
    2. radially (usual polar acceleration = Rcos(...)
    3. r = ztan (...) which can be differentiated and used where needed
    4. mz (double dot) = mg - Rsin (...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    C'mon you could do some proper graph theory and other stuff, it would be fun.
    Noooo, I barely tolerated all the definitions and simplex iterations last year, no more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have a look, it is close enough but...
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf not right.pdf (848.7 KB, 68 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)

mz (double dot) = mg - Rsin (...)
    This is where I'm having problems. I've drawn a diagram of the situation as described in the question, with the particle on the outer surface of the inverted cone. In my diagram, mz (double dot) is not mg - Rsin (...) but rather
    -mg - Rsin (...) (i.e. both are minus and not plus and minus, if we take the downward to be positive then both terms will be positive). Can someone clear this up? I currently have the correct answer except the two terms have the same sign and not different signs.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    This is where I'm having problems. I've drawn a diagram of the situation as described in the question, with the particle on the outer surface of the inverted cone. In my diagram, mz (double dot) is not mg - Rsin (...) but rather
    -mg - Rsin (...) (i.e. both are minus and not plus and minus, if we take the downward to be positive then both terms will be positive). Can someone clear this up? I currently have the correct answer except the two terms have the same sign and not different signs.
    the cone is the other way round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    the cone is the other way round
    That would make more sense, but in the question wasn't it called an 'inverted' cone?

ReputationRep:
    That would make more sense, but in the question wasn't it called an 'inverted' cone?
    I am teaching at present to have a discussion but the cone in that orientation is inverted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I am teaching at present to have a discussion but the cone in that orientation is inverted
    Well, I think it's definitely debatable. I'd maybe include a diagram in questions like this
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: pdf solution2.pdf (191.2 KB, 68 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by depymak)
    Have a look, it is close enough but...
    Your method is very good . I think its actually the angle 'alpha' in the diagram that is incorrectly labelled, which is a shame because the rest of it is perfectly correct

ReputationRep:
    My solution
    Name:  Motion on a cone.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  37.8 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    thanks, I misinterpreted the term "semi-vertical angle " !
    Your method is very good . I think its actually the angle 'alpha' in the diagram that is incorrectly labelled, which is a shame because the rest of it is perfectly correct

ReputationRep:
    My solution:

We locate the particle on the cone of semi-vertical angle \alpha via cylindrical polar coords r, \theta, z, with z increasing downwards. The initial angular momentum of the particle about the z-axis is J =maU and the motion of the particle is subject to the constraint:

f(r,z)=r-z\tan \alpha = 0

Its KE, T, and PE, V, are given by:

T = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + \dot{z}^2)
    V = -mgz

taking V=0 to be at the vertex of the cone, and V decreasing downwards.

The Euler-Lagrange equations for a particle with generalised coords q_i subject to a holonomic constraint f(q_1, q_2, \cdots, q_n, t)=0 are:

\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\big(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}}\big)-\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} -\lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial q_i} =0

where L=T-V and where we have q_i \in {r,\theta,z}. Also, the force of constraint conjugate to q_i is:

Q_{q_i} = \lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial q_i}

and these forces act in the direction of increasing q_i

So for this problem, the E-L equations give (details omitted):

(1) m\ddot{r} -mr\dot{\theta}^2-\lambda =0

(2) \frac{d}{dt}(mr^2\dot{\theta}) = 0 \Rightarrow mr^2\dot{\theta} = J where J is the conserved angular momentum.

(3) m\ddot{z} -mg+\lambda \tan \alpha =0

Now using (2) to eliminate \dot{\theta} from (1) gives:

m\ddot{r} - \frac{J^2}{mr^3} -\lambda =0 \Rightarrow \lambda = m\ddot{r} - \frac{J^2}{mr^3} (4)

and using the equation of constraint to eliminate z from (3) gives:

m\ddot{r} \tan \alpha -mg+\lambda \tan \alpha =0 \Rightarrow m\ddot{r} = \tan \alpha (mg -\lambda \tan \alpha) (5)

So (4) and (5) give us, after some algebra:

\lambda = \cos^2 \alpha (mg \tan \alpha - \frac{J^2}{mr^3}) =  m\cos^2 \alpha (g \tan \alpha - \frac{a^2U^2}{r^3})

So the constraint force conjugate to r is:

Q_r = \lambda \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = \lambda

But this is the constraint force in the direction of increasing r, and is thus the horizontal component of the normal reaction R so we have:

Q_r = R \cos\alpha \Rightarrow R = \frac{Q_r}{\cos \alpha} =  m\cos \alpha (g \tan \alpha - \frac{a^2U^2}{r^3})

as required.

Note that my other approach would have been much quicker if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't find the radius of curvature of the ellipse in question. So while the workings above represent another triumph for M. Lagrange, I suspect that my other method was more Newtonian in character, and probably could have been completed easily by Mr Newton, who would have known all about ellipses.

ReputationRep:
    nice!
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    My solution
    Name:  Motion on a cone.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  37.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Lagrangian considerations make it at least M9 ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Lagrangian considerations make it at least M9 ....
    Well, I couldn't finish my quick 'n dirty method, and other people had done it the obvious way, so I had little choice but to bring out the big guns. Maybe hides the physical insight though, compared to getting down and dirty with the forces.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.