The Student Room Group

Kiiten superhelp thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by kiiten
if you have to determine if a point is maximum of minimum do you use the first or second derivative? Also, how do you know if it is max or min - is it +ve is max?

When the first derivative is zero at a point, that point is a stationary point.

When the second derivative is +ve at that point, the stationary point is a minimum.

When the second derivative is -ve at that point, the stationary point is a maximum.
Reply 81
Original post by Zacken
When the first derivative is zero at a point, that point is a stationary point.

When the second derivative is +ve at that point, the stationary point is a minimum.

When the second derivative is -ve at that point, the stationary point is a maximum.

Thank you!! - Does that apply for any other point on a curve?
Reply 82
Original post by kiiten
Thank you!! - Does that apply for any other point on a curve?

What d'you mean by that? It applies to any stationary point on a curve. A maximum or minimum has to be a stationary point.
Reply 83
Original post by Zacken
What d'you mean by that? It applies to any stationary point on a curve. A maximum or minimum has to be a stationary point.

Oops sorry I forgot that a max/min point has to be stationary. Ignore the question :smile:
Reply 84
2 separate cast circle question. Please could someone show me where i went wrong?
1458593534493579759615.jpg
Attachment not found
Reply 85
Original post by kiiten
2 separate cast circle question. Please could someone show me where i went wrong?
1458593534493579759615.jpg
Attachment not found

1st one : Try expanding (3p+q)(p2q)(3p+q)(p-2q). It's nearly correct.

2nd one : It looks like you haven't performed any sin1\sin^{-1}. You have used 0.5\sqrt{0.5} as your angle instead of sin10.5\sin^{-1}\sqrt{0.5}.
Reply 86
Original post by notnek
1st one : Try expanding (3p+q)(p2q)(3p+q)(p-2q). It's nearly correct.

2nd one : It looks like you haven't performed any sin1\sin^{-1}. You have used 0.5\sqrt{0.5} as your angle instead of sin10.5\sin^{-1}\sqrt{0.5}.

Thanks i got the 2nd one right now - ill try the 1st one later (did i get the +ve and -ve the wrong way round in the bracket?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by kiiten
Thanks i got the 2nd one right now - ill try the 1st one later (did i get the +ve and -ve the wrong way round in the bracket?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that was the mistake.
Reply 88
How would the diagram look for this question?

Screenshot 2016-03-29 15.28.09.png
Reply 89
I think this thread has died :'(
Original post by kiiten
How would the diagram look for this question?

Screenshot 2016-03-29 15.28.09.png

@Zacken
Reply 91

The user has posted this in another thread.
Original post by Zacken
The user has posted this in another thread.

oh i see

Quick Reply

Latest