Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you marry someone that doesn't share your religious beliefs? watch

ReputationRep:
    Muslim here. Tbh I have no clue. I'm not particularly religious so I wouldn't want to marry someone more religious than I am because then they'll try to make me religious. But then if I married someone who wasn't Muslim, my family would be pissed. Anyway I'm 23 and have no plans to get married at least for another 6 years.

EDIT
    Maybe I'll get a cat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontcallmesammy)
    Yep. Would have no issues with it.

My partner and I are different religions, and we just leave each other to whatever the other wants to do. It helps that we're both very mild with our beliefs.

The main difference between us is that he was forced into his religion growing up, whereas I was just left to educate myself and choose one (if any) for myself when I was old enough to understand. We've agreed that when/if we have kids, we'll take that approach as well - teach them about all religions in an unbiased manner and let them choose their own, if any.
    Agreed:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Never. My faith comes first before anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Feel what sugar? :innocent:

Contradictory, as one has to have 'faith' in order to be an atheist (to believe that there is no God, in the absence of incontrovertible evidence) :beard:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Us agnostics do not have a firm 'belief' either way, hence we're the least 'religious' :yeah:
    Being atheist doesn't necessarily mean a 100% certainty of the non-existence of God.

But to answer the question, yes I would. I'm athiest and would have no problem being with someone who thinks the existence of a god is likely- that's irrelevant to me. What is relevant is the values and dogmas they posess surrounding that belief. No religious conservatism for me thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just want oreos)
    hmm interesting
    how so?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but not to a religion where I have to convert to get married

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Christ and his teachings
    Fair ones

(Original post by RobML)
    Being atheist doesn't necessarily mean a 100% certainty of the non-existence of God
    For sure, but it does mean more of a firmly held belief than us 'on the fence' agnostics

No religious conservatism for me thank you
    Expect a certain 24 year old belly dancer will be devastated to hear this :sad:

ReputationRep:
    For sure, but it does mean more of a firmly held belief than us 'on the fence' agnostics
    Kind of makes your point about it requiring faith void, though

Which one?

Well if it works it works, regardless of religion. Obviously if they want to push their religion on you or want to restrict yours or someone else's life because of their belief then no.

Nothing is stopping you having your own beliefs while in a relationship.

Info: I'm not religious - could arguably call me an atheist but if I had a good relationship with a religious person then why not. I would try to discuss what we believe and what it gives to us but there's no need to be pushy.

This may be thinking too far ahead, but don't push yours or your partner's religions onto your children, let them make their own choices on what they believe, with a little guidance on what is right and wrong of course.

Hope this can help

ReputationRep:
    Fair ones

Most of them at least

Would you raise your kids to have a Christian background?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, or a person with no religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    how so?
    oh its just because you were one of the first to reply and had a very adamant answer

ReputationRep:
    oh its just because you were one of the first to reply and had a very adamant answer
    well i have a secure opinion on things like this haha, im already in a long term relationship and we most likely will marry, have children etc so i dont need to really consider it tbh, im a strong athiest if you was wondering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Kind of makes your point about it requiring faith void, though
    How so? I didn't say 'total'/'complete' faith did I

Which one?
    The bible basher below :mmm:

(Original post by queen-bee)
    Would you raise your kids to have a Christian background?
    Something like that, yes. The would certainly be schooled in the bible, not least because it's legacy is a cornerstone of our civilisation :jebus:

ReputationRep:
    How so? I didn't say 'total'/'complete' faith did I

The bible basher below :mmm:

Something like that, yes. The would certainly be schooled in the bible, not least because it's legacy is a cornerstone of our civilisation :jebus:
    Soz babe

I'm afraid I'm too much of a humanist liberal for her. You go take the reigns instead mate.

(Original post by BrokenLife)
    But he's my Sharukh Khan:fight::flutter:
    Ummm, no :hand:

ReputationRep:
    Only as long as they were open to the idea that it's only a belief, and don't try and 'convert' me into a believer :lol:

I'm a pretty devout atheist :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    well i have a secure opinion on things like this haha, im already in a long term relationship and we most likely will marry, have children etc so i dont need to really consider it tbh, im a strong athiest if you was wondering
    ooo that was also interesting- i wish the two of you well

ReputationRep:
    ooo that was also interesting- i wish the two of you well
    why is that interesting? haha i think religion is a pile of **** (sorry not sorry) hahah thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you choose belief over love then you should reevaulate your life choices

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.