Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a B at GCSE maths good enough to do it for A - level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megannatashax)
    its dependent on the entry requirements for the college or sixthform you apply to, i had one which required a minimum of a B whereas others required an A. Have a look around at the entry requirements. i was continuously getting Bs in my mocks however in the real exam last June i got a high A grade, never be certain!
    did you end up doing A level maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    did you end up doing A level maths?
    Yes i'm currently preparing for my AS exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Mein Kampf Heinz Vight Mavs Ze Bee Nicht Gud Jah?
    kv ouygiobuyg08 uhiphuihihi?

ReputationRep:
    Yes i'm currently preparing for my AS exams.
    I apologise if I am asking too many questions but how are you finding AS maths overall and do you plan on taking it to A2?

ReputationRep:
    I apologise if I am asking too many questions but how are you finding AS maths overall and do you plan on taking it to A2?
    AS maths is very content heavy with lots of chapters, but luckily they all begin to link together and revision is fairly decent. Im on edexcel and i have 3 exams: Core 1, core 2 and statistics. Within the first 3 weeks in my class we began chapters such as algebra and functions or quadratic as it was GCSE knowledge so i settled in well.
    Also there have been lots of online resources that have helped me such as mathswatch (which your school has to be subscribed to) and examsolutions on youtube which is amazing! To get the A for maths go on exam solutions for gcse, he can go through past paper questions with you and any topics. Definetly consider alevel maths as an option. i was so set on doing medicine however i changed my mind, but luckily i have maths which opens a finance career to me. No worries about questions, ask as many! If you need any help or advice just ask away.

ReputationRep:
    AS maths is very content heavy with lots of chapters, but luckily they all begin to link together and revision is fairly decent. Im on edexcel and i have 3 exams: Core 1, core 2 and statistics. Within the first 3 weeks in my class we began chapters such as algebra and functions or quadratic as it was GCSE knowledge so i settled in well.
    Also there have been lots of online resources that have helped me such as mathswatch (which your school has to be subscribed to) and examsolutions on youtube which is amazing! To get the A for maths go on exam solutions for gcse, he can go through past paper questions with you and any topics. Definetly consider alevel maths as an option. i was so set on doing medicine however i changed my mind, but luckily i have maths which opens a finance career to me. No worries about questions, ask as many! If you need any help or advice just ask away.
    I am in the same position as you were as regards to getting B's in mocks but I push for that A/A* by June this year.

Are you planning on taking Maths to A2?
    Last question lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahfuz_A)
    I'm very likely to get a B grade at maths in the 2016 exams.
    My question is: Will this grade be good enough to do A2 maths?
    AND
    Will a B at GCSE be enough to achieve an A at A2 maths?
    If you put a lot of work in to achieve a B then you may struggle, but you may have just not figured out how to effectively study also.

I got a B at GCSE, I just did AS and got a B but I messed up on the easiest paper (stats got an E which brought my Core1&2 way down) so I'm predicted AAA in maths, physics and biology after getting C in science GCSE and B in maths.

Just make sure to aim for high grades, I see plenty of students at A level who are more than capable of getting A* but they aim for a C so they don't push any further. If you aim to get A* and fail you will end up with a far higher grade.

Also continually go over what you have learnt as you do it, when you do a topic do exam level questions on that topic until your getting them right every time. Then when May comes around your already prepped, exam stress wont even be an issue.

Lastly make sure what your studying leads to a career your interested in, otherwise what is the point.

ReputationRep:
    depends on your college/sixth form because at a college I was going to you only needed a C but at my sixth form you needed a B?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rajive;63892031]I am in the same position as you were as regards to getting B's in mocks but I push for that A/A* by June this year.

Are you planning on taking Maths to A2?
    Last question lol[/QU

Yes i hope to, dependent on how my AS exams go this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philo-jitsu)
    If you aim to get A* and fail you will end up with a far higher grade...... Lastly make sure what your studying leads to a career your interested in, otherwise what is the point.
    A*? thats impossible for me, i cant even think about aiming that high

and yeah, i wanna do architecture at uni so i need maths

ReputationRep:
    Hm, this is a hard one. I'm going to say no, only because if you're capable of doing AS level, you should be capable of getting an A or A* at GCSE.
    Just try and revise mathematics more. The best way (and how I revise math) to do it in my opinion, and I *highly* suggest - you get a list of every topic in the calculator and non-calculator papers, and look up each topic on YouTube. Once done, print off past papers. If you are capable of A-level, you can do it. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draculaura)
    Hm, this is a hard one. I'm going to say no, only because if you're capable of doing AS level, you should be capable of getting an A or A* at GCSE.
    Just try and revise mathematics more. The best way (and how I revise math) to do it in my opinion, and I *highly* suggest - you get a list of every topic in the calculator and non-calculator papers, and look up each topic on YouTube. Once done, print off past papers. If you are capable of A-level, you can do it. Good luck!
    What did you end up getting in GCSE maths and are you doing As level mathematics?

ReputationRep:
    What did you end up getting in GCSE maths and are you doing As level mathematics?
    I am currently doing my maths GCSE which is probably why I can give some *hopefully* good tips. (Or, at least, I think they're good)
    I am planning to take it for A-level, though

ReputationRep:
    You should list your weaknesses on a piece of paper (by this I mean list the topics and the type of queations you struggle on), then go on MyMaths; ExamSolutions; HegartyMath or even Youtube to learn the content. Then start doing questions

I got a B at GCSE, and currently doing Maths and Further Maths at A2. You could also use this method for any subject.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you actually have a good understanding of maths and enjoy it. Personally I really can't bear maths as a subject and I am getting B's but that doesn't necessarily mean I am good enough or should take it at a level because despite the fact I'm getting that grade, I'm working very hard for it. Even if I got an A, I'm sure my understanding of maths isn't nearly good enough to study it at a level. But if you feel like you like it enough, and that you genuinely understand it then go for it! It may be a challenge given that A level maths is very difficult but if you're determined you will do well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.